Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own an ithica 37, or an ithica 37 clone. i sawed off the grip, and sanded off the blue, so now it's stainless. i love it. i have a mossberg 500 and winchester 1300 with all kinds of tactical accessories, but the ithica 37 is my favorite, because it's unique. nobody i know has a shotgun that the shells come out of the bottom.

however one complaints i have, is sometimes the shells get hung up if i dont keep it oiled good. any suggestions from somebody who owned one, if it helps, i think it was made in china. the other complaint is the barrel is way to thin. i dont know if this could cause a problem, other than not being able to shoot powerful steel loads. it says lead shot only, but i thought that might just be for the choke, but the choke is sawed off now, so do you think i could use steel shot now? again the barrel is alot thinner than the mossberg or winchester.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Steel is only for waterfowl hunting regulations. lead is the way to go, quite a bit heavier-more power on impact. The lead is soft and won't hurt the inside of the gun barrel.

can you post pics?

·
Registered
138 Posts
00buckshot said:
i own an ithica 37, or an ithica 37 clone. i sawed off the grip, and sanded off the blue, so now it's stainless. i love it. i have a mossberg 500 and winchester 1300 with all kinds of tactical accessories, but the ithica 37 is my favorite, because it's unique. nobody i know has a shotgun that the shells come out of the bottom.

however one complaints i have, is sometimes the shells get hung up if i dont keep it oiled good. any suggestions from somebody who owned one, if it helps, i think it was made in china. the other complaint is the barrel is way to thin. i dont know if this could cause a problem, other than not being able to shoot powerful steel loads. it says lead shot only, but i thought that might just be for the choke, but the choke is sawed off now, so do you think i could use steel shot now? again the barrel is alot thinner than the mossberg or winchester.
Asian guns rule! Quite a few of the Browning & Weatherby shotguns are made in Japan, The Browning BPS also has bottom ejection. I also seen some old Remington pump guns that had the same feature, a model 10, it must have been a head of it's time. The thin barrel is a great feature, it makes the process of cutting off a few inches of the barrel a lot easier.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
00buckshot, raw steel isn't stainless steel, it may give the appearance but it doesn't have the same qualities. The reason the gun says lead only is partially because of the choke, partially because the barrel is weak and partially because the reciever is weak due to being cheaply built. They won't stand up to the pounding and pressure in the long run.

Hopperdamage, these NORINCO guns are built in China, not Japan where the Brownings and Weatherbys are built. There is no comaprison to the quality between the two places of manufacture. The Weatherbys and the Brownings are built to last, the NORINCOs are built to sell.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have held and felt MANY of the cheap Ithica knock offs..

I just can't bring myself to buy one. They might be fun to shoot, but when facing a dangerous situation I just wouldn't feel comfortable holding one.

I am always catious of cheap replicas of any firearm.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
00buckshot said:
i sawed off the grip, and sanded off the blue, so now it's stainless.
{F*

You oughta sand the paint off your car too - STAINLESS.

00buckshot said:
the other complaint is the barrel is way to thin.
The thinnest barrels are often found on the highest quality double guns. Properly made, these thin, light barrels require a higher degree of skill to produce, and certainly add to the cost.

In the case of your 37 knockoff, it's a pretty good bet that there's other reasons for your "to thin" barrel. :cry:

·
Registered
98 Posts
ShootingStar said:
00buckshot said:
{F*

00buckshot said:
the other complaint is the barrel is way to thin.
The thinnest barrels are often found on the highest quality double guns. Properly made, these thin, light barrels require a higher degree of skill to produce, and certainly add to the cost.

In the case of your 37 knockoff, it's a pretty good bet that there's other reasons for your "to thin" barrel. :cry:
That was funny, ShootingStar. Thanks for the laugh. I was wondering how to respond to the initial post, but I didn't know where to start.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Don't these come with 18" barrels?
sawing the barrel makes it an illegal weapon. I don't think the Chicom Ithica clone came longer than 18"

Unless of course your from another country

·
Registered
28 Posts
madecov said:
Don't these come with 18" barrels?
sawing the barrel makes it an illegal weapon. I don't think the Chicom Ithica clone came longer than 18"
In another thread he talked about having to hide his "illegal sawed off ****** from da' po-po cuz he kould get lokt up".

This guy is a true fool and every post he makes, he takes away more and more credibility from this site, and the firearms community all together.

Hopefully he gets thrown in jail before he reaches his full potential as a complete idiot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Chinese knock-offs of the Ithaca 37 that I have seen,come with both 18 inch and also 29 inch barrels.They seem functional enough and I have not heard of many problems with reliability.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm curious as to what the major complaints are.

Anyone have any specific info? Can ya link me to a comprehensive review?

----------------------------
Reason I ask is that there was a time when "Made in Japan" was considered shoddy junk - even when products coming out of there were `tops in their class'.

Wonder if that's not the case with China product...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I own a Norinco copy of the 37 with an 18" bbl and it's enjoyable to shoot. I guess it's worth noting though that i'm going to buy a SG this week for HD. I don't feel like I can trust the weapon in the worst of situations. Most of the problems were simply "new gun" break in issues but the fit and finish while ok, make me uneasy about relying on it. Don't have any real proof that it will malfunction but regardless of the cheap pricetag, the catches in the slide (sometimes happens sometimes not) frighten me. I am very picky about guns in general if I have problems with them (even made up ones). Maybe some of you other LE officers can back me up here but I had to sell my Beretta 96 after my recurring dreams that I couldn't pull the trigger (the 12 lbs trigger pull was not difficult to use but was just enough doubt in my head that I didn't want to use it for anything other than target practice). I know I'm probably an idiot but anything I carry or have loaded for HD has to have my unwaivering confidence. While the 37 clone was fun and educational, I need something to rely on. Now i have to decide whether to get an 870 express magnum (18"bbl with factory mag extension) or a mossberg 590. BTW, HOLY CONFLICTING REPORTS BATMAN. Even searching this forum I can't find a comparison that I feel is unbiased. <shrug> I guess I'll have to pick one and find out for myself.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Mikov;

If it makes you feel any better, I would gather from all the posts I've read since joining this forum, that the 870, 590, 500 are about EQUAL.

They seem to represent the `state of the art' in their category - so IMHO, you should be ok with `WHICHEVER' you ultimately choose.. take some comfort in that :D

As I recall however, EVERY semi automatic & full auto gun I have ever fired extensively has jammed at one time or another -- come to think of it now, NOT REVOLVERS :shock:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Don't mean to bust any bubbles, but I have had a revolver jam on me.

It was a used, pawn shop special and the eject pin was bent slightly. Once it was fixed (a little persuasion with a hammer), it never jammed again. I still use it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
brnardic said:
ShootingStar said:
00buckshot said:
{F*

that was just too funny, im still laughing...... :lol:
me too :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts