Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a magnum rifle and was wondering what the hottest cartridge was between the .300 Win Mag, .300 Weatherby Mag, 7MM Rem Mag, The WSM's, and the ..338 lapua. Any help would be great guys

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
IMHO there's nothing on the North American continent that needs something in excess of the 7mm Remington magnum. My two cents.

Edit: no, I take that back. Bigfoot :lol: Seriously, JLP (next post) has the most intelligent approach.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Here is what you can do for a quick fix on these things in one site.

Go to http://www.federalcartridge.com

At the top of the page select Rifle Ammunition Catalog
This will take you to a wizard
From the pull down menus select
Centerfire
Federal Premium
All Calibers/Gauges
Large/Heavy Game
Then click "Find Ammunition"

Now for comparison select 180 grain (ish) Trophy Bonded Bear Claw shells from the calibers you want to look at the hit the compare items button in the lower right hand corner of that dialog box.

Although not all the calibers you were asking for are on this this will give you a pretty nice comparison on which shells give you maximum muzzle velocity and the expected downrange energy out to 500 yards.

Now from my quick search it looked like the 300 Remington Ultra-Mag 180 grain was the flattest shooting, nominal windrift, highest muzzle velocity, highest energy @ 500 yards from the bunch I selected.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
And as a side note,

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU HUNTING? :shock:

Most N.A. game can be killed with the venerable 30-06

http://www.booktrail.com/Hunting_NAmeri ... merica.asp

Read this book, one of the greatest hunting books I've ever read. If you're a big game hunter this is some of the best $60 bucks you'll ever spend

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not hunting anything I just need (want) a big bad rifle just short of the .50 BMG or .460 weatherby something that isnt too common but can be found locally or through cabelas. Just one of those rifles that all of your friends say "holy crap man why do you need that". Thats about all just a gun that would be cool to have I've already got a .270 I just want a kicker now.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Heheheh oh, why didn't you say so? I am the self-appointed guardian of tradition and the old-fashioned way of doing everything around here, so I say get a .416 Rigby. A Purdy double rifle would be an eye-catching conversation piece. And you can give me your .270--I've always meant to get one! :lol: And hey! Bear hunting's no fun unless you're close enough to have to duck when he takes a swipe at the dogs.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/416.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean. I would go with a 338 or larger, the other calibers are only a step or two above what you have now and do not have enough "Oh My Gosh" power in my opinion. I just picked up a gun for the very same reason, I didn't have one but wanted one and stumbled into a great price while I had a few bucks. When the stars are aligned just right, don't pass up the chance. I bought a pre '64 Win M-70 in 375 H&H with a Redfield 1x4 scope. I don't need it as I have a 300 Win Mag but I do have plans coming up to go to Alaska moose and bear hunting and further down the road to try Africa so I guess I could have a use for it, just not now. I now have all the bases covered for rifles and no longer need any more. That is not to say I wouldn't get another one if the stars are right again (and more importantly, the wife's not around) but the urge is not great at this time.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I agree completely with jlptexashunter - the .30-'06 is the most versatile cartridge around (especially if you handload) and is big enough medicine for any North American game. I'd wager there have been more Grizzlys killed with an '06 than any other caliber.

But, if you just GOTTA have it, try a Ruger No. 1 in one of the old traditional boomer calibers like .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, or .458 Win Mag. Or you could try a more recent cartridge, the .458 Lott - just warn all the other guys at the range before you touch it off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want punch, try a Sharps .45-90 or .45-110. They are breech loading brass cartridge rifles loaded with black powder and will knock down anything that you would like to shoot. This is the rifle that was featured in the movie "Quigley Down Under". I have an original Sharps .45-90 that I have shot deer, elk and moose with and didn't have any problem with any of them. You can purchase replica models at many places on the web. Shells are expensive, but they are a lot of fun to shoot.---AFG

·
Registered
261 Posts
8) Be sensible. Get the 06 and the Quigley gun. Why settle for second best when you can have both best. A 30.06 is hard to beat for punch. They are not all plain walnut/blue steel. You can get one worth talking about. Price ain't that far out of sight either.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If you want a shotgun that you'll get those looks from go out and spend $200 bucks on a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 12 *****.
Everytime I pull out this little baby at the range and start throwing 1900fps of hot Winchester lead down the barrel and shoot 3" groups at 150 I get a nice gathering around me.

It has better ballistics than 45/70. The barrel looks like the business end of an anti-aircraft gun. And Oh By The Way, it weighs about 12 pounds with a scope and kicks harder than any of the Elephant Guns out there.

Good for deer though, with a limbsaver of course.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Come on down to Dallas I need back up for sighting the thing in. I put another scope on it. I'm not really looking forward to shooting from the bench.

If I were to do it again I'd get the 20 gauge version. I really like the 12 but it's an absolute monster on recoil, even at 12lbs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
C'mon Tex, a little rearward movement of the piece wont hurt a big ole texican. Clench your teeth, bite your lip, chew on a piece of rawhide, and squeeze that trigger real slow. When you wake up we will all be there (in spirit) to offer our assistance. :wink:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Man, after reading these posts, I think I want a Ruger # 1 rifle all of a sudden. Egad, these forums are dangerous. Ah well, I'll put it on the list . . .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.