Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have a friend with a J.C. Higgins mdl 583.17 bolt action 12ga.
He asked me if I could find out what it is worth. I have done some searching and I know that this model was recalled by Sears a long time ago.

Is it worth anything?

·
Registered
57 Posts
single stack, a cross reference shows your gun was made by high standard firearms as the model 10. pictures of the 583.17 looks more like a mossberg to me, but either way depending on condition the gun is worth $40 to $100. hopes this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.
MarlandS,
I had already found the link from Sears by doing a few searches and reading your posts.

I guess I was hoping it might have some collectors value.. 8)

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Singlestack, I can't blame a guy for holding out hope ;)

If a guy was to restore it, and sit on it for a while, it might be somewhat collectable since they are a disappearing breed. Ofcourse, you'd want the documentation, like the page from highstandard.org , the letter from Sears, and a few other trinkets like that.
I think the collectability would be in the oddity, the recall. or ofcourse, you could unload it now for the $160.

Oh and thanks for doing the searches and taking the time. Too many don't even bother to put their questions in the proper forum.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
As long as we all keep learning it'll stay fun.

Think of it, a guy could snatch up every one of these old beauties he comes across for the $50 or so average and turn them in for a tidy profit and still have pieces/parts for whatever...muzzleloader project?

G

·
Hi,

I was going through my father's old collection and I happened to find an old JC Higgins 16 ga. Full Choke bolt action, thats roughly 40 yrs old. I was wondering if anyone had any links so I could research it and restore it, its a little locked up but in very nice shape, interested in giving it to a friend as a gift. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Red man, all Sears wants you to send in is the bolt off these old guns. You know, pull the trigger on an empty chamber keep holding the trigger back and cycle the bolt open. It'll come out of the reciever.

Clarky, not much in the way of links on these. There wasn't much written on them.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Ok you got credit ;) yeah a hundred of them would be fun. imagine the look on the sears guys face when you dumped them on the counter with a copy of that letter and asked for it in small bills. :shock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a screw that has to be removed from the receiver to remove the bolt. My understanding is that some people lost these screws and/or replaced them with an incorrect screw. Additionally, there appears to be no actual problem with the bolt and the recall was issued for the 583.18 and later. Apparently some num nuts opened the bolt without the screw stop in place and bashed his eye with his hand so Sears issued the recall due to some frivolous lawsuit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On the Higgins Model 10 recall..........
for many, MANY years I had heard (and believed!) that the recall of the Model 10 bolt action was related to the bolt retaining screw falling out, but about a year ago I stumbled on two pictures from High Standard's factory records of a Model 10 that had Ka-Boomed.

Below is a JC Higgins Model 10, Sears reference #583.16.

The receiver is a simple tubular extension of the barrel, with the bolt channel and locking lug cut into it. The picture show a catastrophic failure that shattered the stock and cracked the receiver. When it failed, it sheared the locking lug right off the receiver, allowing the bolt to be blown out of the gun. I hope the guys head wasn't in the way.
Also shown are the low brass shells being used at the time of failure.

If you look carefully at the receiver, it appears there was a groove (a bolt guide track?) machined into the locking lug that is about 1/3 the total thickness of the lug....the lug failed right along this track.

The pictured gun is THE reason for the Model 10 recall, as far as i can tell.....
I cannot find any other cases of this happening, but then it took about 40 years for me to find the pictures posted above and during most of that time, I, too, believed the bolt retention screw to be the reason for the recall....the bolt retention screw clearly is NOT related to the pictured gun's failure in any way.

If your Model 10's product numbers (583.xx) falls into the recall range, I would be a little concerned about shooting it from the shoulder.

High Standard modified the design and later bolt action versions were not susceptible to this type of failure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.