Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my grandfather J C higgins model 20 12ga shotgun its missing 2 of the chokes that came with the gun . Would anybody have any idea where i might find a set to complete my gun. I also have the case that the gun came in it also says J C higgins on it. Ill buy the set of 3 not just the 2 that are missing. Thanks

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
We'll need the model number or JC Higgins ID number (usually 583.xxx or 101.xxx) so one of us can crossrefence with the model your gun is based on, then Ron should be able to tell you where to find them (Ron is amazing)

G

·
I do not recall J.C. Higgins ever coming with a choke tube system(not to say that they did not), But off the top of my head I believe the choke tube system became popular around 1975 with WINCHESTER introducing them, so unless the gun is newer then 1975 I would say that your barrel was threaded for an aftermarket tube system, possibly TRU-CHOKE OR COLONIAL, HASTINGS , BRILEY, or the barrel may have been cut for REM-choke, WIN-choke, ect.So at least you have one tube which makes for a good starting point, first take your gun and tube to your local gunsmith and or quality gunshop, explain that you are unsure of the origin of the choke tube system, and wish it compare with current commercal models, if youfind simlar with great care install slowly and with no pressure to if it threads properly,do this with all avilable sources.If you hit a brick wall I will need the items in question, I will research this and post any future results .So I will be talking to you!!!!RON KONTOWSKYACTIONS BY R.A.K.DEANS GUNSHOP IIGUNSMITHING DIV.www.deansgunshop.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun was never modifed its just like my grandfather bought it. The model number is 583.60. The gun was made by high stanard . There model number was high stanard 200. I have found a number of guns for sale but allmost all are missing the other chokes.If you need more info ill try to post it ,i sure do appreciate any help you might give.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The parts break down for the High Standard model 200 doesnt show an adj poly choke like several of the others do. Doesnt mean that the barrel wasnt swapped or that the poly wasnt offered as an option.One note says that the barrel is stamped on the left side with one or more (*) which specifies barrel choke. No mention about the polys designation.Is it possible that the choke cap is missing? There is a sidebar about adjustable poly choke-"single turn", fits most of the Savage, High Standard, and other collets...was a gunparts part # TT908A There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there a way i can post a picture i have one with the other 2 chokes and the gun i got on another site. This may give you a more clear idea of what i got.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Can you post the link maybe? Or hit the image button to the left of the reply text box and put the url in there..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i hope this worked. this is the pic of a j c higgins model 583.60 Hope this helps. Edited by: Shotgunworld at: 4/2/03 2:10:24 am

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the chokes for my gun they should be here monday. Now let me tell you a story, Talking on chat line to a guy in my home stste ind. Told him about my grandfather gun the longer we talked the more things we seamed to no about each other we went to the same school and so on, he was yonger than me but i new his brother a year ahead of me. Now here comes the good part he bought my grandfather house Then he tells me that in the attic he found two chokes and a box of 12 ga shells, this was 20 years ago he found them and left them there . Friday he put them in the mail to me, now i have the chokes that came with the gun, Whats the odds of this happing. I stiil thank all you for the help. i thik i going to buy a lotery ticket i feel lucky.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
That has to be some of the strangest luck I've heard of in a while

G

·
I have a J.C. Higgins model 20 12ga. sears, roebuck and co 583.60 and was wondering where may, I find a barrel or replacement barrel for it.

G

·
I have the same problem, no chokes for my JC Higgins, Model 20, but this is a 583.56. Will the same chokes work?

Thanks.

G

·
I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about (market value, or year of production) a J. C. Higgens 101.7 model 12 ga. double barrel shotgun?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
it's a Stevens 311 restamped for Sears , lots of threads in the ID and Value forum on the 101.7 , valued about $200 - $250

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.