Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new semi-automatic Shotgun and I want to shoot light loads. The manual says as low as 7/8oz. and I seen other semi-automatic Shotgun say 1oz - why.

What determines how light of load to use in a semi-automatic Shotgun the pressure or the weight of the load? :?:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Pressure is what works a gas-operated semi-auto. The problem with that statement is that, generally, 7/8oz loads are low pressure. So other semis cannot handle 7/8oz because of their low pressure. That said, if you found some high pressure (but still safe) 7/8oz loads, they would probably operate other gas-operated semis.

The Beretta semi-autos, especially the 390 and 391, have a gas system that is most able to function on light, low pressure loads. I've shot 7/8oz @ 1150 fps (6700 PSI) loads in my 391 all day long without a problem.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
The speed of the load has a bigger affect than the load weight(oz) for the cycling of the action. Some designs are more efficeient than others. Then some manufactures put in a little higher rating than what their guns are actually capable of cycling. A great example would be the Mossberg 935. It states it will only cycle 3" and 3 1/2" loads only. The gun will actually cycle some of the heavier 2 3/4" loads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, yes I am shooting a Beretta semi-autos 391.

I'm going to through a TIWST to my posting. Here is the KICKER-
What I want to shoot in my 12 gauge is a 1-1/8 oz load at - (1090 fps)!

I'm thinking is that the weight will bust my chances cause of the time to push it out..(?)

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
heath said:
First, yes I am shooting a Beretta semi-autos 391.

I'm going to through a TIWST to my posting. Here is the KICKER-
What I want to shoot in my 12 gauge is a 1-1/8 oz load at - (1090 fps)!

I'm thinking is that the weight will bust my chances cause of the time to push it out..(?)
If you have adequately cleaned the rust protectant from the new gun and broke the gun in with some heavy loads, then it should handle those loads just fine.

The 391 is, of course, a gas operated autoloader. The gas system works based on the volume, pressure, and duration of the gas furnished through the gas ports. In general, the heavier and faster the load, the better it will meet the minimum criteria needed to operate the gas system.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I think Beretta says "sub-sonic loads with at least a 28" barrel"

I have shot 1 1/8oz @ 1145fps with no problems.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It has been a while since your posts. How's your gun shooting and what shells are you shooting? Were you able to cycle the 1090 fps shells? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.