Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a side by side 12 gauge shotgun that has been in my family for more than 40 years. It says " JAs SQUIRES, 14, NEW CASTLE STREET, LONDON " on top of the rib between the barrels. On the rear of the triggerguard it says " No2354 ". This number is also stamped under the barrels on receiver when action is broke open. Shotgun has dual sidelock hammers that are covered with engravings. In fact every side is covered with engravings of pheasants,quail and a rabbit under the locking lever, which is beneath the trigger guard and swings to the right to open. Every bolt, pin or screw is engraved even on the buttplate. Barrels are damascas. Shiny and very clean. Wood appears to be walnut but not completely sure. Lots of checkering and brass round plate in bottom of stock. A few small dents and dings in wood. My local gunsmith rates this shotgun as verygood. He has never heard of this brand of shotgun before. I am trying to find out more about the original gunmaker and a rough approximation of this shotgun's value. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks - taternoggins

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
"James Squires operated in London, England between 1860 and 1892, according to two references I checked. One stated that he made Tranter's Patent percussion revolvers, and later Snider Patent metallic cartridge rifles. A fairly sophisticated operation, which probably also made shotguns for sale on the U.S. market. The action of your gun sounds consistent with 1880-1890s date. I don't know of any good, easily available references that would give you any more information... John Spangler"

Someone on another site had asked about a 10ga.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a side by side 12 gauge Jas Squires shotgun - double hammers, extensive scrolling, Damascus barrels, walnut stock, serial number 2388 (so not far behind your serial number), in a John Blanch & Son leather case(!!). The shotgun is in very good conditon and the gunsmith who checked it for me said it was high quality and had had very little use. Did you find any more data on James Squires after you made your query?? Kind regards, Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.