Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have Your butcher do it.... Just kidding-Cabelas,Gander Mtn. both sell kits,spices,racks etc... do it in the oven. I take individual muscles chill to just about freezing them run through a meat slicer long ways to get uniform 1/4 inch thick slices put in sauce mix for a day then dry as needed. The oven gives best flavor. Recipes can be found online easily ranging from mild to wild(hot). Good luck. Shane

·
Registered
797 Posts
I buy commercial jerky spice kits.I grind my meat in the grinder using a small grinding plate and I DON'T add any fat.I mix the meat and spices and using my jerky tube(it's kind of like a caulking gun with an end that lays out 3/4" wide strips of meat)I lay the strips of the meat out on the trays of my dehydrator.6 or 7 hours later,it's done.I only use elk or moose in my jerky!
Dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have found this site:
http://www.eldonsausage.com/InfoPages/g ... nd%20jerky.
to have a good, cheap method. They also have some great supplies for making jerky and sausage.

I HIGHLY recommend their videos for how to butcher your own deer and make sausage. They are very good and will save you from having to pay someone else to do it. I even have an extra copy of the VHS deer butchering if anyone is interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.