Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to Quail hunting and so is my GSP. We went out this weekend and got one Quail. On the first day we saw several, but most of them either flushed before the dog got to them, or he bumped them. I couldn't really tell which for sure as the brush was so thick I couldn't see my dog much of the time. The next day we didn't even see one bird.

He has performed well on Chuckar and Pheasant in the past, but is not a very experienced dog.

I'm beginning to wonder if the birds are hearing the tag on his collar and running before he gets near them. I hadn't really considered this potential problem before because of hearing about people who keep bells on their dogs in thick cover, but now that I'm thinking about, I'm starting to feel pretty stupid.

Do you suppose that's what's been holding us back?

Would you hunt your dog with a jingling tag on his collar?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was it pretty warm? If so, chances are the Quail weren't coveyed up and wouldn't hold like they do when it is colder. I doubt your bell sounds had anything to do with it. Think about it-a bird could hear you and/or your dog in brush with or without the bell. They just weren't holding or were out feeding apart from the covey.

Some days are like that! :wink:

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I use a bell on my dogs in thick cover and I don't think it makes a difference. It sure helps me when they stop and point or when I am not sure exactly where they are.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I use a Dogtra collar with the beeper set on point only. When the dog points, the collar beeps. In many of the places I quail hunt it would be impossible to find the dog on point without the collar. A bell wouldn't work for me for several reasons. They are not loud enough when the dog is hunting wide in big, hilly country. It doesn't work when I need it the most, when the dog is on point. And there is no way I could keep track of several dogs bells all at once. I have never had a problem with the beepers flushing the birds and I hunt all wild, heavily hunted quail on public lands. I also love the locator button on the Dogtra 2002 that I use. Not only does it locate a dog up to 400 yards whenever I want to know where they are but I can also turn my dogs when they are ranging out front anytime I want with the beep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.