Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i am starting to grow tired of my profession, and am interested in a job where i can spend time with firearms, and i am sure many people here probably use firearms at work or have at least worked in a firearm based environment. im not looking for a job where i sell firearms but maybe fix them and preferably train with them and use them. ive considered gunsmithing and hunting guide (im working on my pilots license) maybe LEO what is required to become an officer. do officers get issued firearms or use their own. anyways bit of a mid life crisis and want to shift more into a renaissance man path than an engineer-flight-gun geek. or somehow turn engineer-flight-gun geek into a profession. i guess im kind of rambling but any neat suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Join the Army and become an MP, they will be happy to issue you a nice beater Mossberg 590 to chase prisoners with.

There are of course age limitations, if you have been an LEO for a while you might try the USCG Reserve, as they are activley soliciting LE personnel for the reserves. On the other hand if you have some time invested in a prnson fund, you might consider that time invested.
None of the Armed Forces will give you a commission (or a warrant) just based on LE experience, but sometimes combination of several factors will do it, experience, education, etc..

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
DJTURNz said:
Town Lunatic? They are usually attributed to having guns.
That's my job and it ain't open for applications. :evil:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Blackwater and get paid $600 a day or more. You will get to work beside our troops in Iraq who get paid a tenth of that. BlackWater is becoming the largest private military in the world. They have their on Air Force and some have reported they are 250,000 troops strong. These days war is big business.

GC

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I work part-time at the club where I belong. I do whatever needs to be done from working the range to picking up hulls, working the gun counter to working at the snack bar...

The pay is lousy, but the benefits are great, I get to shoot, pretty much, when I want and I can use as much ammo as I want from the "cheapo" pile...

Smitty

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
:shock:

Controlled pair (see below).

:oops:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
MAX100 said:
Blackwater and get paid $600 a day or more. You will get to work beside our troops in Iraq who get paid a tenth of that. BlackWater is becoming the largest private military in the world. They have their on Air Force and some have reported they are 250,000 strong. These days war is big business.
GC
Too bad Blackwater only hires professional killers, right?

:roll:

Actually, they might have openings for pilots, Cap'nA. They run rotorcraft and some low-profile fixed wing stuff, come to think of it.

If you're a serious (amature) shooter and flight crew to boot, Blackwater might not be the worst place to send a Resume'. You'd probably have to enjoy the three-month stints in hot sandy places, however.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
excellent guys, haha some good ones in there. Ill have to do some research and see if any oportunities present themselves. thanks
alex

·
Registered
803 Posts
You are probably right but I bet that number is not to far off. It has been reported that they have that many employees. That is not a fact. No one really knows for sure because that information is kept quite. The USA has paid them an estimated 3/4 of billion dollars since 2004. That is what the Bush administration has disclosed but it is probably more than that. They have troops all over the world. It is a fact they are becoming the largest private military in the world.

Blackwater was a company that didn't exist a decade ago. The company was incorporated in late 1996 as the Blackwater Lodge and Training Center and was sited on 5,000 acres spanning two counties in North Carolina on the Great Dismal Swamp. Though the original, publicly-stated plan was to build a sportsman's paradise with outdoor shooting ranges, early company literature also indicated that the company intended to take advantage of accelerated government outsourcing of security and firearms-related training. Today it's risen to become one of the most powerful private actors in the so-called global war on terror. It currently has operatives in nine countries around the world. The vice president of the company says that they have 21,000 private forces on standby that could be deployed at a moment's notice. They were also an important operative after Katrina in New Orleans, Mississippi and Texas. Blackwater, out of its operations in Katrina, started a whole new division of the company for domestic operations, and they began aggressively pursuing more markets inside of the United States.

Some of the best-paid U.S. mercenaries in Iraq can clear $30,000 in one month, much of it tax-free, which a lot of U.S. soldiers get paid in one year, and they're in the exact same war zone. What message does it send to those soldiers who are being forced to go over there right now? It sends them a message that the mercenaries are more important to the administration, they're paid much better, they have better equipment; or it sends a message that you should just leave the military and go on over to the mercenary sector. So much of this jumping ship has happened that there is slang in Iraq now for going to the private sector from the military. They call it "going Blackwater."

War is Big Business.

War is a racket. Most people know that but do not understand the implications of wars fought by corporations, with corporate employees, to generate profits for stockholders. War racketeers provide bodies, weapons and supplies; profits are maximized based upon the quantity of bodies killed and wounded, the volumes of weapons and supplies used or destroyed and the amount of property damaged. Enter Halliburton, the Carlisle Group, Science Applications International, Raytheon, Dynacorp and Blackwater USA. Blackwater supplies the services of personnel the mind control media refers to as "contractors." Historically, these "hired guns" are known as "soldiers of fortune" and "mercenaries." The numbers of Blackwater "contractors" on the ground in Iraq is staggering and they choose not to recognize the Geneva conventions.

GC

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
topmaul said:
Under the Geneva Conventions are BW USA armed personnel illegal combatants?
They are most certainly not.

Nor are folks who are contracted by the Department of State to provide armed security and related transport for diplomats in any way, shape or form "mercenaries". Civilian "contract" employees are all over SW Asia, and the business end is a racket. That said, the United States military neither specializes in providing civilian logistical support nor diplomatic security. Blackwater's "hired killers" are as mercenary as the food service employees and truck drivers for Kellogg, Brown & Root.

Sorry Max, but the info you quoted above just seems to be the same old crap regurgitated by politicians who have about as much credibility with me as those that would blame Katrina on the "Halliburton Weather Machine".

If you'd like a change, feel free to ask your congressman to increase the security budget for the DoS. It only needs a >1000% increase to send those evil Blackwater guys packing. Even then, we'd end up hiring the same folks that BW is employing. But hey, if it makes you feel better, and you think Government can provide services cheaper than the private sector :lol: , feel free to ask for the tax increase.

After all, what's an additional 1000% here and there?

ETA: Max, we'd probably agree on the war in general, but your statements of BW being "mercenaries" are way out of line.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My best friend is a Retired Senior Chief, E-8 he now works for a Defense company training at Class A School okay he makes much more than he did in the military plus gets a good retirement check. How is he cheaper now? Yes the military can do the job, and can do it for what we are paying contractors. I see it every day, I could give you example after example. I am nearing the end of my military career and plan to work for a defense contractor as soon as I can find one in my field with a job where I want to live.

It used to be that military people would retire and go into civil service now they jump ship and work for contractors.

The is a conventional wisdom that says Contractors can do it better faster cheaper has become obsilite in fact our Depot Level Aircraft facility is drawing down contractors and hiring civil service technicians (who are the same people) because defense contractors are not cost effective. PM me and we can discuss it in detail if you would like.

Defense Contracts are now written by contractors, for contractors and the government gets screwed. I will go this a stem further if we had the government procurement methods of today in place during the second world war we would have lost.

The biggest problem I see is the consolidation in the industry. To few competitors.

So you see no differance between a man with an M-4 and a man with a spatula?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts