Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and Merry Chrtistmas.
I have recently gone trap shooting a few times and I must say that I have fallen in love with the sport. I have been using my father-in-laws 20 sum year old Mossberg field pump. It does the job, but I would like to get something a little more trap specific. I prefer an o/u but I think a semiauto would be good to. If I could get any feed back, that would be great. I am about 6'3" and 210lbs and right handed also. This would also be my first shotgun, so I am not looking to break the bank here. I would plan on buying a fancier gun as I got more experience.

Thank You

·
Registered
58 Posts
First of all welcome. I, like you am new to the sport. I just got my first full year under me. I also have fallen in love with this sport. With that said, I can only tell you my opinion. I'm your height and I was looking to get into the sport cheaply at first and then as my interest grew, purchase something a little better. I started with a Browing BPS. I found it used at my local shop for about 375.00. I can't say enough about it. It helped me get my first 25. I also hear great things about the 870 wingmaster/trap. I'm now in the market for a Browning XT combo, because I've tried a few U/O's and that one seems to fit me very well. Anyway, again welcome, and I'm sure you'll get some pretty good suggestions from people here.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
lawnboy20 said:
I prefer an o/u...
Thank You
Since you didn't give us your price range, there are dozens of brands of O/U's that will work nicely for trap, including but not limited to:
Zoli
Browning
Beretta
Perazzi
Ruger
Kolar
Krieghoff
SKB
Winchester
Remington
Ljutic
Blazer
Guerini
Verona

I'd recommend you stay away from the Russian and Turkish guns for now. This includes the Spartan line sold by Remington and the Silver Reserve sold by Mossberg.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
$800? You'll be looking at a well-used example of a good brand...and that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wink:

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
lawnboy20 said:
I have recently gone trap shooting a few times and I must say that I have fallen in love with the sport. I have been using my father-in-laws 20 sum year old Mossberg field pump. It does the job, but I would like to get something a little more trap specific.
Sounds like just the place for one of those rare old Mossbergs with the high comb stock and the high post Simmons rib! Seems like I saw one advertised just lately.

Clyde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.