Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.Just got me a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 *****.With the 28" vented ribbed barrel and a modofied choke installed.Is this a good shot gun? What is the difference from the standard 870? Other than the pretty finish and wood of the more expensive model?I havent shot it yet. Maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I've got the same gun, real nice utilitarian shotgun. The ONLY problem I have is the shell follower sticks when trying to load the first shell. other than the cheaper wood and finish I haven't noticed any difference between it and a Wingmaster

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 20 gauge 870 Express. I got mine with both a shot barrel and a slug barrel. I have had mine about a year and like it very much. I got it on the advice of my buddy who has owned a 12 ga. Wingmaster for 20 years and used it for deer and turkey. He has a friend who has had a 12 ga Express for ages. Both of them recommend the 870.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive had the same gun with wood in my family since it came out in 1950.My opinion the older models have some advantages over newer models.I personally love the ligher shade wood and how many aftermarket parts not intended for it ,still fit.Great gun, wouldnt trade it for a million bucks.It has been through everything from home invasions and hunting to being exposed to EXTREMELY dusty environments and had no problems firing.Try that with a semi-auto.Good choice.Good luck and happy hunting.

"Guns don't kill people,people kill people".

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 870 is hard to beat.

A friend of mine shot his 870 trap in the Grand American last year. He shot a 100 in handicap which put him in the shoot-offs. His friends got a kick out of watching him beat guys with K-guns.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What is the difference from the standard 870? Other than the pretty finish and wood of the more expensive model?
other than the cheaper wood and finish I haven't noticed any difference between it and a Wingmaster
The Wingmaster also has the Light Contour barrel which, in my opinion, improves the carrying and handling characteristics of the gun especially if you have a longer barrel.
There's more to the "pretty" finish than just looks. The Wingmaster finish resists corrosion better. Chambers in Express's often do well with a good polishing to help with extraction problems. Triggers are also far more consistant gun to gun with the Wingmasters.
I would't say the "finish" of a Wingmaster is better I'd say the "finishing" of a Wingmaster is better.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ShotgunT said:
[ I would't say the "finish" of a Wingmaster is better I'd say the "finishing" of a Wingmaster is better.
Well said. While the parts that constitute an 870 Express are identical to those that constitute a Wingmaster, it's what gets done to them at the factory that distinguishes the two guns.

Of course, anyone with a selection of flat files and Arkansas stones, some 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper, a Dremel tool with some felt wheels, a tube of Flitz, and a few evenings of spare time can do this himself, too. Just break the gun down, part by part, and look for any areas where metal contacts metal. If you can see a way to improve the surface finish of such contact areas, have at it with whatever tool is needed.

When you are done with each part, be sure to thoroughly clean any remnant of abrasives, if you used them, and lube the parts lightly before reassembly. Pay particular attention to the bolt, the slide rails, the shell stops/followers, and anything else involved in the loading/ejection cycle. Look and feel for any errant burrs or machining marks that can be removed.

You will be amazed at the results: smooth, slick steel parts working cooperatively rather than against each other are a beautiful thing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts