Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me a new SX2 shot gun. I was wondering if I made a good choice. I've read articles on the internet and so far so good. I haven't shot it yet as it was raining the weekend that I got it. I just wanted to hear from people who actually have them and see how they like them and how are they holding up.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
First, Welcome to shotgunworld! I've heard nothing but good stuff about the SX2. Congrats on your new purchase, and if you are new to guns, or particularly, shotguns, feel free to post to us. Here you will find people with skills from gunsmithing to wingshooting to clays games! All will willingly help you to the best of their ability. A first tiny bit of advice: consider a safety course, even if you've already taken one. A brush up never hurts any of us (I'm taking a pistol one shortly--and me with a pistol, especially an autoloader, will require all the safety training there is).

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott231,
My flavor of choice is black on black so I went with the Super X2, 3 1/2" Composite. I figured that this would cover every thing I would want to shoot for starters.

Jeff23,
Thanx for the welcome! Not new to guns just this particular shotgun. I have two pistols, one revolver, and one AR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ODD JOB welcome to the forum. I don't have an SX2, but I have heard lots of good things about them. The only downside that I know of the gun is the fact that it isn't a Rem. 1187...jk :p Anyway I hope you get a chance to go and enjoy it soon. Let us know how it shoots!

CC

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
That doesn't look like an SX2 that you are holding in the picture. :wink: Besides, you are aiming with the wrong eye. :shock:

Yes, the SX2 is a fine shotgun. Don't forget to clean it completely (particularly on the inside) to remove all the grease and rust protectant the factory puts on the gun before you take it out to shoot it. After a thorough cleaning, lube it with lightweight gun oil. Also, plan on putting at least 10 boxes of fairly heavy loads through it before the gun is considered broken in. Some new guns may not need that many, but some may need more. Enjoy. Let us know how you like it. If you have any problems with it, help is just a mouse click away (on this board). :lol:

G

·
CC,
Thanx for the welcome. I've heard good things also and on the Winchester site they realy are hypeing it up. To tell you the truth it was a tossup between the 1187 and the SX2. But all the Rems. in stock had the wooden furniture.

Ulysses,
That is a picture of me with my first gun...lol Thanx for the heads up on cleaning it b/f I go and shoot it. What would you consider heavy loads?

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
Since your gun is chambered for 3 1/2" shells, that is where I would start. If it fires the first box or two of those with no problem, you could step down to the 3" shells. I would use at least the 1 1/4 ounce hunting loads or perhaps the 1 3/8 ounce hunting loads for the breakin period. After the breakin, clean it thoroughly again and lube it again. I like Breakfree CLP as a lube, but there are other good lubes as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like CLP also, the only other thing I use is Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner. If the weather looks good this weekend I'll go pick up a few boxes of shells and do the breakin like you mentioned.

G

·
I bought the sx2 3.5" black as well prior to dove season. Have shot dove and teal and skeet putting over 2 cases of light loads through it without a hitch. I like it, my friends like it and a buddy is now buying one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ODD JOB - What's the scoop? I haven't heard how things went with your new SX2?

Believe it or not - I'm in the exact same boat. I'm just about to purchase my first SG and it's a toss up between the Rem 1187 and Win SX2. Although I'm leaning towards the SX2 - Black On Black. I'll be heading over to the gun shop tomorrow after work to hug some more stocks & barrels and probably make a 'good' decision this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still haven't gotten around to it. Now that the weather is nice I've had a ton of homework in my physics class. This Sat. is looking good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.