Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered one of these off of e-bay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/272640125808?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$76.00 shipped. One day only deal.
548 grains is approximately 1.25 oz. w/o wad. Will be using wheel weights for alloy.

Wonder if it will take as long as they say to ship.
Now have to get some wads from BPI.
And find some accurate and safe reloading info.
May try fiber wads too.

Will be using a smooth bore gun, with rifle sights.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked up mold @ PO yesterday, only 2 weeks from Russia. Looks well made. Aluminum with steel/wood handles. Also looks like you could trim the "fins" on the plug to cut down on the fracture lines on the finish cast slug to tailor the breakup factor.

Hope to cast some this weekend.

Any one have any guesses on loads?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I tried casting some of the slugs this past weekend.
Works OK, but the "plug" is hard to remove from the cast slug when you are removing them from the mold. I have since reduced the diameter of the "fins" that make the fracture lines and smoothed up the edges somewhat. Hope it makes it easier to remove.

Slug has a hollow point w/ four fracture lines. Hollow point is at least 2/3 to 3/4 deep (of the total height of the slug). Small screw hole goes all the way through the slug to attach to the plastic or fiber wad. Diameter is about 0.730" on the top and bottom "ribs". Instructions show using a number of different Gualandi wads, of which only the BW12 is available from BPI. Ends up looking like a Brenanke (spelling) slug full bore diameter with attached wad. Looks like it will be a real water bottle killer. Almost too frangible for deer I'm guessing.

Ordered the BW12 wads and a roll crimper from BPI last week so expect to try some soon through the Ithaca/SKB 900 slug barrel.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Greetings, thanks for mentioning the details of the slug.
Can you please mention what is the weight of the slug with wheel weight or pure lead what ever you cast from.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ajay
SuperBlazingSabots

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Greetings Nhithac thanks for letting me know the weight.
Please try to load a few with a darker nitro card from BPI, they don't easily ship those one as they are much harder and stiffer right between the slug and your wad when testing for accuracy. May I also suggest .125 darker nitro card followed by 1/4 nitro card from Circle Fly at a much cheaper price and then X12X OP wad also from BPI. If you need to make the wad column longer then add regular .125 nitro card on top of X12X

Best of luck and have fun while you are at it.

Best regards,
Ajay
Super Blazing Sabots

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Greetings Nhithac thanks for letting me know the weight.
Please try to load a few with a darker nitro card from BPI, they don't easily ship those one as they are much harder and stiffer right between the slug and your wad when testing for accuracy. May I also suggest .125 darker nitro card followed by 1/4 nitro card from Circle Fly at a much cheaper price and then X12X OP wad also from BPI. If you need to make the wad column longer then add regular .125 nitro card on top of X12X

Best of luck and have fun while you are at it.

Best regards,
Ajay
Super Blazing Sabots

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really sure about using cards and fiber wads. Instructions say to use plastic wads, of which I could only find the BW12.

In order to use the fiber/cards, I would have to come up with a way to center a hole in the fiber/cards. Just haven't come up with a good way yet to do this accurately. Using the BW12 wads, I can insert both the slug and the wad into a cut down case and insert the screw from the top inside of the slug into the plastic wad. Using screws that a long enough to go through the top partition and into the next one. I guess I could use the same method with the fiber/cards as long as the screw was long enough to fully engage the lowest card and hold it tight against the fiber wad.

Still looking for loading data or at least a guess.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Greetings Nhithaca, you are right just seat the wad into the cut down shell then the .125 nitro card and then the slug. Using a drill press should help a great deal. Use lighter zinc wood screw.
The good thing is the weight of the slug is just as much as the Lyman slug in wad 525.
I'll get you going with the loading data next.

Best regards,
Ajay
Super Blazing Sabots

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had this svarog Russian slug mold for the past 6 months. I am in the works to become their US rep and distributor for their company.

The key to this slug is must use a mold release on the pin. I use WD-40's silicone spray. Works great, you just have to apply every 5-10 droppings.

I have the green wads they used in the picture. They are the BP20 and they're not available here in the US yet. However, BPI sells the BP18 wilhichbis 2mm shorter but can easily be adjusted with using nitro cards under the slug before you screw the wad to it.

I have gotten really great accuracy with these during my first Range testing on them. You can find the results on my Facebook page dedicated to slug and buck Reloaders.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/213522172431808

1 - 14 of 14 Posts