Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just picked up a clay delay wireless and plan on using it for the first time this weekend.
I've been playing with different microphone locations yesterday and would like to know where you find to be the best location?
Any tricks on keeping the microphone wire out of the way?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Under shirt is good to keep out of the way. I usually just run mine outside of shirt on my left side as a right hand shooter and clip the unit to my shorts/pants pocket, never had an issue with the cord. When it is very windy clip the microphone to inside of shirt in chest area. I find it is a great help in eliminating accidental launches.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
And a side note. If your mic starts acting weird and you want to replace it, any 2.5mm jack mic will work. I bought a 3 pack of cheapies off ebay for 5 or 6 bucks, and they work as good or better than the original one. I think the wires inside the mic get twisted around and broken eventually and you loose a good connection when can cause intermittent issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info fellas.
i like the wire under the shirt idea.
In terms of microphone placement, does anyone clip it closer to the belt area, or is it "generally" around the left armpit / shirt collar area? (opposite mounting side).
In my living room the thing actually worked when i called and it was at the waist area.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your living room is a lot quieter and calmer than a Skeet field. Clip it to your collar opposite your shooting shoulder and have at it. It's really not difficult, and very easy to overthink.

Also, realize that you can adjust microphone sensitivity by how much you turn the power switch on the transmitter. Very important in windy conditions, or when there are shooters on the adjacent field and their gun reports are louder than usual (such when you are on station 7 and they are on station 1).

Good luck and safe shooting.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
What Trapper john said!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
bluskyshooter said:
Clay Delay must use the cheapest mic's that can be bought. I am on my 3rd one, and I hardly ever use the thing. Definitely gonna order a few from Amazon and see how they work.
Are YOU being too rough with the microphone? They do have very small wires inside. I'm on my 3rd one in 5 years!
If you call the Clay Delay folks, and describe the problem they will send you a new microphone. Ask about the heavy duty version!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.