Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a impulse buy friday from a local gun shop. I got off work early and stopped by there on my way home.
Was looking through their used rack and saw what looked like a Mossberg with a scope. I ask for a closer look and it was a M500 with a slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount. My interest was perked.
I have been casting and loading slugs for my shotguns for a little while now and really having fun with it. Been using my standard smooth bores with really good results and even got a rifled choke tube to try out with a little bit of a improvement. However I have always been curious what they would do with a fully rifled barrel.
This one was a trade in, was dusty/dirty from probably setting in someone's closet for a long time, but it was almost new condition. The barrel is ported. No idea if this is factory or not. Anyone know?
Has a really cheap BSA 1-4 scope on it.
As a bonus, it also came with a extra vent rib smooth bore barrel with screw in chokes.
Out the door tax and all $350.

I get it home and the scope rings are not even tight, and the scope is canted to the right.
I tear it completely down and give it a good cleaning. Was not really dirty. Looks to have been shot very little. It did have a pine needle in the action, so I am guessing it might have got taken hunting at least once.

The scope is pretty crap-tastic. I cleaned the dust/dirt off the lenses, tightened down the rings, and re leveled it to hopefully get it shooting straight.
It has a kinda fish eye effect when looking through it and parallax is terrible!
I am gonna see if I can get it zeroed in for now until I can get get something better.

Looking for some suggestions for a decent shotgun scope. I do not want to spend more for the scope than I did for the gun, but hoping for something a little better than what I have now. Does not have to be high power, I mean, it's a shotgun, not a sniper rifle. I mainly will be shooting it at 25-50 yards, and might take some pop shots at 100 yards every now and then.
I am not going to be hunting with it. I do not hunt and every gun I have are a range toy for me. (I have my own personal range at my house). I will just be using it to test various home cast/loaded slugs and then just having range fun.
So I do not need some super high end super expensive scope, but want something better than the junk that is on it now.
Seems choices for dedicated shotgun scopes are pretty limited, and they all seem to have pretty mixed reviews.
I know you can use just a regular rifle scope too, and I might have to end up doing that, but thought I would try to find a scope specific for shotguns. Pretty sure the one that is on it is not a shotgun scope and just a cheap rifle scope.

I was able to shoot it sunday and got the scope zeroed in. The thing is not very clear/bright and gets fuzzy at the edges. Guess I am spoiled by my good quality rifle scopes. I also now have a spec of something on the inside of the scope making a dot in the upper left. So it is already starting to fall apart.

I debated on to post this thread here or the slug forum, but decided here would get a little more traffic. If the mods feel the need, they can move it where they think it would fit best.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Mossberg sold those combo guns with the 2 barrels. We have a large sporting goods store that had them every fall on special for $279-299 before the pandemic. They always came with a cheap little no name scope. That being said, I have seen some really decent accuracy out of them with the right sabots. The Mossbergs have a slower twist rifling in the barrel. Similar to factory Remington barrels and Hastings barrels. They really seemed to do well with Hastings Laser slugs or Rottweil Laser slugs. I do not believe anyone is loading the Laser slugs commercially any longer, but Slugs R Us was selling the wads and slugs for reloading. I do not know if they still are or not. Really an effective slug on deer. I have no recommendations for slug scopes other than Leupold. Good luck.

And the porting is factory Mossberg.

· Registered
209 Posts
I’ll second the Leupold recommendation. I have a Rifleman series 2-7x33 on my slug gun which works really well. They also have a 4x (or maybe it’s a 1-4) x 20? that I actually went into the store to buy but they had this one on sale so that is the one I bought. Great glass and click adjustments. Much better than the older VX-I that I have on my muzzleloader. I don’t remember the exact cost but it was probably close to what you paid for your gun so you’ll have to determine if that is worth it to you but it was a good choice for me. I do hunt with mine and really appreciate the low light capabilities.

Good luck.
John

· Registered
6,240 Posts
My slug guns have hand me down scopes from rifles I upgraded. The recoil of a slug gun can be rather hard on a scope which is why I tend to favor at least lower mid-tier scopes. The two 12 ga guns 2 have 3-9x Burris Fullfield II scopes, one 20 ga has a 2-7x Thompson/Center "Recoil Proof", and the last 20 ga is topped with a 3-9x Busnell Banner.

The last gun is used the most, it is an H&R Handi-rifle Ultra Slug meaning it has a 12 ga barrel with a 20 ga bore. That makes it relatively heavy therefore pretty light recoiling which is probably one reason such an inexpensive scope has lasted so long. A hint is a fixed power scope is generally more recoil resistant than a variable as there are far fewer parts inside. I've tried cheap blister pack fixed power scopes on 12 ga slug guns and even a couple 375 H&H magnums for more rounds than I expected before failure. For a gun such as the H&R that may see 15-20 rounds for initial sight in, a couple rounds to verify sights every year, and maybe a couple rounds fired at game per year these cheap fixed power scopes can work well enough for many occasional hunters.

The Banner has lasted longer than I expected but these lower priced scopes can have some eccentricities. Many will shift point of aim/point of impact when the magnification is changed. The Banner changes 3"- at 100 yards between 3x and 9x. I sight in with 5x and leave it there as

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mossberg sold those combo guns with the 2 barrels. We have a large sporting goods store that had them every fall on special for $279-299 before the pandemic. They always came with a cheap little no name scope. That being said, I have seen some really decent accuracy out of them with the right sabots. The Mossbergs have a slower twist rifling in the barrel. Similar to factory Remington barrels and Hastings barrels. They really seemed to do well with Hastings Laser slugs or Rottweil Laser slugs. I do not believe anyone is loading the Laser slugs commercially any longer, but Slugs R Us was selling the wads and slugs for reloading. I do not know if they still are or not. Really an effective slug on deer. I have no recommendations for slug scopes other than Leupold. Good luck.

And the porting is factory Mossberg.
Yea everything is more expensive than before the pandemic. I did see mossberg offers a similar two barrel combo now with a MSRP of 5-something. So the price compared to pre pandemic is high, but post pandemic, it's not too bad.
Interesting on the porting. I do not think the current ones looked like they had the porting (that I could see in the pictures).

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is out of my repertoire, as I have never shot a slug in a shotgun. I shoot shotguns, pistols, and rifles. But I wonder if a simple Red Dot would do for 25-50 yds?

JB
The thought did cross my mind and I have not completely written off the possibility of a reflex sight. It might be something I look into if I can not find a scope I like that is not as much as the gun itself.
At this point I think I would still prefer a lower power scope. I think 4x is all I will really need. I am not opposed to fixed power scopes either, less to go wrong on a hard recoiling gun.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Yea everything is more expensive than before the pandemic. I did see mossberg offers a similar two barrel combo now with a MSRP of 5-something. So the price compared to pre pandemic is high, but post pandemic, it's not too bad.
Interesting on the porting. I do not think the current ones looked like they had the porting (that I could see in the pictures).
The last one I handled that was matt finish metal, plastic stock, combo pack gun had a ported slug barrel. I did not look at the 28" barrel to know if it is ported. That gun was purchased a few years ago.

· Registered
26 Posts
Look at the leupold grand slam, they are a solid scope for a slug gun, I would recommend if you have not mounted a scope before to find someone to do it for you, just make sure you can watch and learn how to do it for the next time. Whichever scope you choose just make sure it’s for a slug gun the recoil is hard on scopes that are not made specifically for slug guns.

· Registered
Too many
927 Posts
I have a model 500 with the cantilever barrel that I bought new in the 90’s. With Federal Barnes Expander slugs (no longer in production) I’ve shot 2” groups at 100 yards. It’s a tack driver as far as slug guns are concerned. As far as scopes I’d see if there’s a Vortex that would work. I have one on my 760 and love it.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last one I handled that was matt finish metal, plastic stock, combo pack gun had a ported slug barrel. I did not look at the 28" barrel to know if it is ported. That gun was purchased a few years ago.
Not sure how old this one is. It's gloss blue.
The smooth bore barrel on this one is 26 inch. I thought that was kinda odd. I have a maverick 88 that has a 28 inch, and looking on their website, the current field/deer combo has a 28 inch barrel. This one is 26 and has not been cut down and still uses the factory screw in chokes.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at the leupold grand slam, they are a solid scope for a slug gun, I would recommend if you have not mounted a scope before to find someone to do it for you, just make sure you can watch and learn how to do it for the next time. Whichever scope you choose just make sure it’s for a slug gun the recoil is hard on scopes that are not made specifically for slug guns.
I have several long range rifles and lots of target rifles all with scopes. I constantly buy new scopes, swap out one scope for another for various reasons. I feel like I have mounted 100 scopes over the years. Very well versed in doing it.
Lots of higher end scopes and I think that has what has spoiled me, as compared to all my other scopes, this one sucks bad.

Finding a dedicated slug scope that is not more than the gun is proving harder than I though it would be.
I might end up having to "buy once cry once".

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a 3-9 scope from bushnell that has a "extended" eye relief they say is specifically for heavy recoiling rifles.
Eye relief is one thing I have been noticing one several scopes. Some have more than others. I have not measured the eye relief on the one on there now, but I did notice when shooting it sunday, the scope did feel like it was coming really close to my face under recoil. A to the point of making me a little nervous.
Gonna email them and ask if it is suitable for the recoil of a shotgun. Price is right. And I have several bushnell scopes on a few rifles and have been very happy with them for the price.

· Registered
4 Posts
I own a Remington 870 smoothbore and I just bought a Carlson Rifled Choke. I will do slugs test soon, I will post on my results.
Meanwhile, I will put a scope on it, it has a rail and I will put a Bushnell Prime 1x-4x 32mm (leftover after upgrading my deer gun, my lovely Marlin 336 in 30-30).

Bushnell recommend it for shotguns:

I love the eye relief (4") and the FOV at 1x, 105 ft, great for hunting.

I keep you posted when mounted.

Specific webpage for the scope: Buy Prime™ 1-4x32 Riflescope and More | Bushnell

· Registered
1,145 Posts
The problem with screw in rifled chokes is getting them out after firing several rounds. They keep tightening after every shot.

· Registered
59 Posts
I couldn't find a cantilever slug barrel for mine so bought a Hastings and mounted scope on shotgun, took 2 boxes to get it set and was about gun shy by that time, If I get lucky enuff to draw a tag next year I will just set the open sites with a round or 3. Stout is how I would describe the recoil of a 3" sabot. I have went to a semi auto for most all other shotgun work. I did kill a nice 6pt with it the year I set it up.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
The problem with screw in rifled chokes is getting them out after firing several rounds. They keep tightening after every shot.
Never had that problem in about 30 years with a rifled choke in my slug barrel. I shoot it every year before season to check the scope and I shoot deer with it. When I was a nuisance shooter I would shoot between 30 and 40 deer a year with it for a few years and I never had the rifled choke get overly tight.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts