Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9,046 Posts
But not legal in all states if hunting with the gun.
Steve
What state are they illegal?

I've seen some people make that clam with states like Oregon, but when they point out the code they are confusing red dots with laser sights. Wyoming had a vague law that prohibited hunting with any artificial light, but state Fish and Game produced a pamphlet explaining that the law pertained to projecting a light and specifically stated that Red Dots were legal.

Even very gun unfriendly states like California, Illinois, New York, and New Jersey allow hunting with red dot scopes. New York originally had some confusion just like Wyoming with their "artificial light" prohibition, but the conservation department there also clarified they were talking about devices that project the light outside of the device like a laser sight or spotlight.

· Registered
9,046 Posts
Wisconsin
I believe that's another example of legal confusion between laser sights and red dots. A red dot is not a laser sight.

All indications are that it is legal to use Red Dot optics to hunt deer or any other game in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin DNR deer hunting regulations specifically prohibit the use of laser sights; not red dot sights.

Use of Devices It is illegal to: • hunt any animal with the aid of any aircraft, including unmanned aircraft or drones; • use, or possess with the intent to use, laser sights while hunting except by Class C visually disabled permit holders; • use or hunt with a firearm equipped with a suppressor or silencer, unless the hunter possesses the proper federal firearm license that authorizes possession and use of the device. Note: electronic calls and decoys are legal for hunting deer.

I could also find nothing in applicable state law that prohibits hunting with a red dot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts