Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I agree. Choke tubes have a tendency to loosen up with shooting, not tighten. Maybe the poster is in the Southern Hemisphere? Things can be "backward" compared to here. 馃

Far more likely crud is getting under the tube's skirt and debris is wedging the tube tighter. I would find that concerning to a degree as some day the gap could catch the projectile just right and be pulled out. That might damage the threads enough to require the barrel to be cut and retreaded. That has happened with bird shot a couple of times.

Registered
Dang, bumped Send somehow.

As for scopes, my slug guns mostly wear lower middle tier rifle scopes. Scopes like Nikon Buckmaster, Burris Fullfield II, Leupold VX-I, Bushnell 3200/4200 and the like as I upgrade scopes on my rifles. Even today, these scopes or their equivalents will be well under that paid for your Mossberg. These are all variables, mostly 3-9x with a 2-7x added in here and there. Eye relief is decent, even on the highest magnification. The only significant difference between a "rifle" scope and a "shotgun" scope is the paralax on the rifle scope is typically set at 100 yards while the shotgun is set at 75 yards. On a target as large as a deer, the difference is not noticeable.

My cheap scopes currently are a 2-7x T/C "Recoil Proof" and a 3-9x Bushnell Banner. Both are on 20 ga guns, the first a pump the latter a single shot. The T/C is a step or two below the above scopes but it has lasted several years so far. The Banner is on an H&R Ultra Slug which is a 12 ga diameter barrel with a 20 ga bore. It is of decent weight with a decided muzzle heavy feel which cuts down on recoil quite a bit. The only real ideosyncracy is the Banner will change point of impact a fair bit as the magnification is changed. It also makes no sense as sighting it in on 9x might have poi move 2" toward 8 o'clock on 6x and move 3" towards 1 o'clock on 3x. So, I sight in with 5x and don't touch the magnification.

The cheap fixed power scopes can be fairly rugged as they are light and have few internal parts that can break or become damaged. I had a $20 blister pack fixed 4x Philipine made Simmons scope that I had to work hard to destroy. It did duty on a Savage 220 for several years then was tortured unto death by moving it to an Interarms Mark X in 375 H&H for a couple hundred rounds then a Savage 116 in the same caliber where it finally died just short of 100 rounds. Glass and coatings were OK and the turrets tracked slightly better but once it was sighted in it did not change.

Registered
The problem with screw in rifled chokes is getting them out after firing several rounds. They keep tightening after every shot.
I have had one tighten up while hot. I take a quarter or the choke wrench and pinch the quarter/wrench with needle nose pliers for leverage. Works fine. You might consider oiling the threads or using some other product to keep them from seizing.

Registered
I have had one tighten up while hot. I take a quarter or the choke wrench and pinch the quarter/wrench with needle nose pliers for leverage. Works fine. You might consider oiling the threads or using some other product to keep them from seizing.
Sorry to be out of the main subject but you mention putting an anti seizing on the thread of the rifled choke ? Like the one on a muzzleloader breach ? (I use the Loctite 37230 Silver Grade Anti-Seize 鈥 20g Stick)
Since I will test like 8 combos of slugs brands and size, I will do that before installing mine on my 870, thanks for the tip !

Registered
Sorry to be out of the main subject but you mention putting an anti seizing on the thread of the rifled choke ? Like the one on a muzzleloader breach ? (I use the Loctite 37230 Silver Grade Anti-Seize 鈥 20g Stick)
Since I will test like 8 combos of slugs brands and size, I will do that before installing mine on my 870, thanks for the tip !
just a thought. I can鈥檛 imagine it creating any issues. Especially since you鈥檝e used it in a similar way before.

Those muzzleloader breaches(we call them nipples for some reason) are a pain. I left one sitting for 2-3 years and it got stuck bad. After that I took it off when not in use and put it in a zip lock with an oiled up cloth. Then I lost the thing somewhere in my gun room 馃ぃ

Registered
If your hunting at 20-100 yards I鈥檇 recommend looking at a vortex spitfire 3x. I can acquire the target much faster than I can with a scope. I put a p rail on my 500 and mounted it up. No issues so far.
I also have the Vortex Spitfire 1x on my Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. A really great optic, no magnification on mine but very fast aquisition and the optic is like a scope, with a always on reticle and the added bonus of the optional illumination.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Never had a choke tube get stuck, but I am sure I do not shoot near as many in one setting as some do.
However, I clean my guns after every use, weather I fire 1 round or 100.
For me, part of cleaning a barrel also involves removing the choke and cleaning the threads on it and the barrel then applying some hornady one shot dry film lube.
Keeping the dirt, grit, and carbon cleaned out of the threads goes a long way to help keep them from sticking.

Registered
If you are considering a red dot, have a look at the warranties. Vortex is warranted for life no matter what. The Lupold optics also carry a lifetime warranty, but electronics are limited to five years and Leupold has not had a stellar record for its electronics. Aimpoint PRO is bulletproof. I鈥檓 very disappointed that Nikon stopped making rifle scopes. They made some really good shotgun scopes.

Registered
But not legal in all states if hunting with the gun.
Steve
What state are they illegal?

I've seen some people make that clam with states like Oregon, but when they point out the code they are confusing red dots with laser sights. Wyoming had a vague law that prohibited hunting with any artificial light, but state Fish and Game produced a pamphlet explaining that the law pertained to projecting a light and specifically stated that Red Dots were legal.

Even very gun unfriendly states like California, Illinois, New York, and New Jersey allow hunting with red dot scopes. New York originally had some confusion just like Wyoming with their "artificial light" prohibition, but the conservation department there also clarified they were talking about devices that project the light outside of the device like a laser sight or spotlight.

Registered
Wisconsin
I believe that's another example of legal confusion between laser sights and red dots. A red dot is not a laser sight.

All indications are that it is legal to use Red Dot optics to hunt deer or any other game in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin DNR deer hunting regulations specifically prohibit the use of laser sights; not red dot sights.

Use of Devices It is illegal to: 鈥 hunt any animal with the aid of any aircraft, including unmanned aircraft or drones; 鈥 use, or possess with the intent to use, laser sights while hunting except by Class C visually disabled permit holders; 鈥 use or hunt with a firearm equipped with a suppressor or silencer, unless the hunter possesses the proper federal firearm license that authorizes possession and use of the device. Note: electronic calls and decoys are legal for hunting deer.

I could also find nothing in applicable state law that prohibits hunting with a red dot.

Registered
Considering the distance that you will be hunting at a Red Dot should be more than adequate. Most very expensive double rifles used for big game hunting are fitted with red dots along with their traditional open sites. Double rifles are primarily used to the distance of around 50 yards plus or minus. A red dot allows for far faster acquisition of Target and can be used with your other eye open and are good and all light conditions. To my knowledge no state has banned them for use in hunting. Since they do not project the light to the Target which was the intent of such laws. If not the case illuminated scopes would be illegal to hunt with.

Registered
Considering the distance that you will be hunting at a Red Dot should be more than adequate. Most very expensive double rifles used for big game hunting are fitted with red dots along with their traditional open sites. Double rifles are primarily used to the distance of around 50 yards plus or minus. A red dot allows for far faster acquisition of Target and can be used with your other eye open and are good and all light conditions. To my knowledge no state has banned them for use in hunting. Since they do not project the light to the Target which was the intent of such laws. If not the case illuminated scopes would be illegal to hunt with.
In theory, red dots might have been technically illegal in Wisconsin at one point for muzzleloading given the fact that most red dots have a 1X magnification and Wisconsin law used to ban using a muzzleloader with a magnifying scope but that has nothing to do with shotguns. I am just tossing that out there

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I ended up going with the bushnell 3-9x40 long eye relief scope I linked to in post #14.
I am very happy with it. Very clear/sharp picture, zeroed easy, and I do not feel like it is going to smack me when I shoot it.
I also found a wood stock set and refinished it. It looks a lot nicer now I think.

Registered
But not legal in all states if hunting with the gun.
Steve
I can't imagine what state would not allow a red dot during firearms season. It's legal in California and New York, and if those two states allow it, it's usually legal in all 50. The only time I've ever heard of a red dot not allowed would be a primitive season, and in that case telescopic sights are never allowed either... and neither are shotguns.

I really like the Leupold 1-4x scopes on a slug gun. They are great quality, and the VX-Freedom is not a horrible cost. The benefits of a telescopic sight is being able to see brush that you wont with the naked eye, especially before sunrise and after sunset. Set on 1x scope is fairly quick to use. 4x is capable of at least 200+ yard shots, and your Mossberg will not be capable of 200 yard shots.

A smaller MOA red dot is also a fantastic choice. I like an Ultra dot for a lower price option, but they work really good. If you are willing to spend a little more, I am really liking the Leupold RDS with 1moa dot. The benefit of the red dot is you can get on target quick. They are all around easier to use than a scope, and their dot is always visible when you might not be able to see open sights. The only drawback is at dawn and dusk your only as good as your naked eye. Brush and branches seem to disappear.

If you are hunting a relatively open area, and especially if you hunt from the ground, I'd consider the red dot. If you hunt thick areas, especially in a tree, I'd consider the scope. If you hunt big woods, then it doesn't really matter.

Registered
True story. Had a friend who once proclaimed that he would never fire a slug gun with a screw in rifled choke as when you shot it, the torque created when the slug hit the rifleing would cause the gun to spin right out of your hands.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts