Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Evolve from a reputable Gun Dealer in my town. The gun has had maybe 3 rounds fired through it and I got a steal on it $725.00. I have always liked the feel of the Evolve and the SX3 Winchester. I didn't have a lot of time to really exam the gun, but after I got home I noticed that there is a lttile play in the forearm toward the rear. I can twist it a little per say or squeeze it and it flexes. I am just curious if this is normal. I don't feel it when I shoulder the gun, but by just holding the gun by the forearm I feel movement. I took the forearm off and noticed that it is cut thin near the top maybe this is the reason for the movement? Is anyone having this with their Evolve?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
The Browning Golds may very well have one of, or are the worst receiver/forearm junction in semi auto's. What I have done on some Golds is take the forearm off. There is a low spot on the bottom of the receiver. I lay a big bead of black silicone that's higher than the inside of the forearm. Let it dry and shave it down with a razor blade if needed. You want it just ever so slightly higher than the inside of the forearm. It takes the play right out and you can't even see it with the forearm on.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The rear of the forearm *is* thin, and if you read the manual it specifically warns you not to squeeze that part when the forearm is off of the gun, as you may crack the wood.

Mine had a bit of a rattle, but I figured out that I wasn't pushing the forearm down towards the receiver enough. Once I did that and screwed down the forearm cap a bit more, no more rattle.

I've never noticed if the forearm squeezes, as I just hold the forearm, I don't manhandle it or squeeze to see if it's ripe :)

Cameron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mainly get movement from the back of the forearm and the rattle you are speaking of when I handle the gun. I have never squeezed the forearm off of the gun, but I did check for any cracks and did not find any. I will check it out later. It is just annoying for me for suck a nice gun.
Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
I checked my Evolve last night and did'nt notice enough movement to concern myself. I do the same thing when I get a new gun (keep checking and looking for flaws). Hopefully you can see beyond the minor problem when you shoot. My Evolve is absolutely my favorite gun for clays.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts