Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a new L4S and wanted to test some light skeet loads. I have a light 3/4 oz. load with Extralight powder and it would not cycle. The next up was a light 7/8 oz. load and it cycled perfectly. I was not surprised that the 3/4 oz. load didn’t function because it’s really light. I’m really pleased that the 7/8 load worked. I shot a full round of skeet and had zero issues with cycling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i just purchased a new L4S and wanted to test some light skeet loads. I have a light 3/4 oz. load with Extralight powder and it would not cycle. The next up was a light 7/8 oz. load and it cycled perfectly. I was not surprised that the 3/4 oz. load didn’t function because it’s really light. I’m really pleased that the 7/8 load worked. I shot a full round of skeet and had zero issues with cycling.
My L4S has been flawless with one ounce loads over the past three years. Very little recoil from this combo!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Try the 3/4 oz with E3 or run a little faster with the ExtraLite.
Yes, I am pretty sure you can find a 3/4 oz. load that will function if you really want too. I am not particularly recoil sensitive but was given some high velocity 7/8 oz. factory 12 ga. loads a few years ago. I think they approached 1500 fps. . They were so uncomfortable to shoot that I shot them in a 10 ga. sxs using 12ga. inserts, just to get rid of them. They were uncomfortable to shoot even in a 10 lb.+ 10 ga.. I don't think you need to load them that hot to get a load that will work. Tinman sounds like the voice of experience!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally all my shotguns are target guns except the Benelli M4. I never found a need to run any of my loads over 1250 fps. My preferred range is 1150fps to 1225fps, no sense in wasting powder for skeet.

·
Administrator
23,472 Posts
We use 3/4 oz loads in two different Fabarms and they cycle perfectly.
This is a tested load that is well below a max load:
Remington hull not a SP hull.
16-16.5 grains of Extra-lite
DR-XXL-1 wad pink
Federal 209A primer
See attached data sheet

Attachments

Reactions: Tinman1929

·
Registered
26 Posts
How many grains of Extralite were you loading in the 3/4oz shells? Also is it a sporting or hunting model? I ask because of the different chamber sizes. I have no idea if that would actually affect performance with lite loads though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is your L4S a sporting or initial hunter model?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts