Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what section to put this.But I know it has happened to most of us.Made my blood boil.Ole boy at range says I have a like new Browning Citori special edition Sporting Clays 12ga that I will part with for $1300.Has not been shot much he says.So you get cash out of bank,take off from work and at appointed time meet at range.Been looking hard for one,they fit me perfect,bust the birds good,great sight picture,looking foward to this day.So he pulls out this thing.At one time it might have looked like a Browning Citori.No more.All the blueing is GONE from under receiver and some rust here and there.And the buttstock had been cut up with a butcher job adjustable comb.And shortened for a recoil pad.I did not buy it.Bad day !

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
On the Contrary, Mako: Good day! You didn't actually buy it, thereby resisting the temptation to succumb to instant non-gratification that has given so many of us truly bad days. Also, you found out about this moron who tried to sell it to you and can avoid him in the future :) Be thankful when you get a free lesson; many of us paid out money to learn the same thing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
ur very lucky that u seen the gun in person not over the web.
i deal with antiques and if i had a penny 4 each time i was told somthing was in mint shape i be a very rich man. it could be a very fustrating thing but u got off very lucky.i have been burnt in the past and trying to get ur money back is like pulling teeth. if u keep looking one will pop up in due time . good luck on ur hunt

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have to agree with Jeff 23 on this one. The hardest thing that I learend in life is to lead my life without expectation, to replace expectation with discernment.

If you have expectation of things and issues you will ALWAYS become a victim. Then, a person tends to compound the problem (I know I did) by being judgmental, that is, attaching emotional value to fact, and calling the guy a "*******" (emotional value) to the fact that he merely mistated the condition of the shotgun.

Like Jeff 23 says, it is a wonderful lesson to learn about people, i.e., don't have expectation of people...view people and situation as fact without expectation...use discernment on your next deal.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would have given the ******* a bill for wasting my time by lying to me about the details of the prospective deal.

Now he probably wouldn't have paid it ... but it may have driven home the fact that you were really upset about his "less than honest behavior", without calling him a no-good-lying-son-of-a *****.

I don't understand how he may have thought he was going to get away with that.... did he think you were a blind sporting clays enthusiast?

Friggen moron!

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Maco Menace;

I guess you too have noticed that like new means something different to different folks? Now to the reason for my reply: You still looking for a Sporting Clays Edition? Mine is the Lightning version 30" ported barrels. NO I'm not offering to sell it, but the guy I bought mine from has one that is the standard pistol grip stock, not the Lightning. Mine was not like new, but nearly so. Had a Kickeeze pad and a dead mule in the stock and is the Hi-rib model. Mine was $1300. If you are interested I'll look at it or give you his number and you can call him. He is a serious trap shooter and deals in a few specialty guns and rare coins and gold and silver. He knows the difference between like new and half worn out, so do I! Like I said, if you like I'll take a closer look and let you know. This is the one with the flat blue reciever with the gold Sporting Clays Edition in script on the side.

BP

pm me if you like!

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
Wait just a second folks. Before we start calling anyone names let's realize that there is blame on both sides of this issue. 8) Yes, it appears the seller was guilty of overstating the condition of his gun. However, the buyer was also guilty for not asking to see the gun and to shoot the gun before making a decision to buy it.

The buyer quite obviously jumped the gun in his eagerness to get a great deal. The seller apparently also got carried away in describing the condition of his gun, however, we haven't heard his side of the story. :!: Perhaps the gun wasn't nearly as bad as the buyer describes it. I'm not saying that the buyer is lying. I'm simply saying that two people can look at the same thing and draw different conclusions.

The lesson to be learned here is to inspect something carefully before agreeing to buy it or before getting your hopes up about buying it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ulysses said:
The lesson to be learned here is to inspect something carefully before agreeing to buy it or before getting your hopes up about buying it.
Well I won't argue with you there, but if you met a really cute girl in a bar, buy her a few drinks in the hopes she will invite you home with her and she does. And when you get to the good part you all of a sudden feel like you are on an episode of Jerry Springer. I think you would still be upset. Why? Because it misrepresnted itself to you.

Maybe he shouldn't have gotten his hopes up so high ... but I still think he has the right to vent about that bozos misrepresentation.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Venting is a fine and time-honored tradition. I too would have been inclined to vent a bit in the same situation, and I fully understand both Mako and AG's urge to go off at this idiot. He wasted Mako's time and misled him.

Nevertheless, for myself, I try to get a grip after awhile and see what I can learn from a given incident. Sometimes all I learn is that I feel like punching someone out, but of course that's hardly realistic, the laws being what they are and me getting older and fatter by the second :lol:

About once or twice a year I actually learn something from an otherwise unpleasant encounter. Usually, it's along the lines of realizing that if I'm angry at someone else, there's probably something wrong with me, too. In my case, it's often egotism: "how dare you lie to ME, sir?"

Just my take--I would never be so patronizing as to suggest that any of you follow my advice on emotional stability. Besides, fisticuffs are so much more fun--at least they were 25 years ago . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.