Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if the US's gun laws were more leanient(spelling) or more complicated than canadas. Right now to be able to posses or buy a gun you need to go for a firearms traing course then apply for a pal(possesion and accuistion licence). then a whole riggamoral dealing with the buying of the gun the u have to fork over more cash to register it, which is madatory. even to touch a gun, like letting a buddy borrow one he has to have a licence to...

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is certainly more lenient in the U.S. than in Canada. Provided you are 21 or older you can go into a Wal-Mart or a sporting goods shop and purchase a rifle or shotgun quite easily and leave the store with it. There is a registration process, but it is fairly straightforward. I think they do a computer check on you from the store. I have never bought a long arm from a dealer, so I am not sure.

Buying a handgun is a little more difficult. Each state has it's own laws, and they vary quite a bit, but in most cases, you must visit your local law enforcement center to fill out an application for a Permit to Purchase Handguns, which in my county is good for one calendar year. Basically, it is a form for the LEC to keep on file of who in the county has legal access to firearms purchases. Once you obtain this permit (and you can if you have never been convicted of a felony, been involved in a violent crime, or been institutionalized for mental instability), you can go to your dealer and purchase a handgun. When they sell you the gun, they run your I.D. through a computerized check to see if you have any black marks on your record. If you come up clean, you hand over the cash, fill out the registration, and off you go on your merry way. If you know what you want to purchase, the whole process at the dealer takes about 10-15 minutes. It is quite painless, but the anti's still don't understand that criminals are simply not using this system. They are stealing guns, or buying stolen guns, and committing their crimes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya same here(about the criminals), its complete bs, to buy handguns you need to get a restricted firearms licence which is a whole other couse. In alberta, where i live, the gov't thinks its BS to so they are not prosecuting anyone if they dont have the licence and own a firearm

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
here in IL it's easier than Cartridge Guy said ( you might want to re-check Fed laws if you haven't purcheased one in a while)
but for the most part , we have a 24 hour waiting period on long guns and a 72 hour wait on handguns, We have an instant check system for prohibitted sales.We also have a Firearms Owners ID card (F.O.I.D.) which is basically Owners Registration but you have to have it to own guns or purchase guns or ammunition.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here in WI it is even easier than IL. We have no courses or cards :p . You turn 18 go to a store say I want that rifle or shotgun fill out a form wait about 10min(for the background check), give them the money for the gun, you can take it home that day. Handguns when you turn 21 you go to the store say I want that one fill out the paperwork give them the money and 48hrs later you can pick it up and take it home.

·
Registered
354 Posts
And here in Oregon (as in Colorado and New Hampshire, where I've also lived) you don't even need to wait 24 hours for the handgun. Same "instant" background check on handguns as for long guns. (You do need to be 21 for handguns, though - I think that one is federal.)

Carry permits are even more screwy, with county and even city/town governments doing things differently. Some states are "shall issue" (will give you a permit if you ask/pay for it and meet their requirements), but that is superceded by county/town law. For instance, Colorado is a "shall issue" state (I believe), but the Denver county sherrif doesn't give out many permits...

Every state is different, too. For a complete list check out the NRA's website. They list full gun laws by state.

-- Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.