Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
K-80s are great guns. To shoot one well however, it must fit you, i.e. its stock dimensions must allow you to use the correct shooting form (stance, gun mount, body posture), which in turn, will allow you to shoot up to your full potential.

If the gun you have been shooting fits you, compare its stock dimensions with those of the K-80 that interests you. A great gun like the K-80 does not necessarily lead to an improvement in your shooting skills. Its weight, balance, handling characteristics and stock dimensions may be different than the ones you are used to.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Rollin, well spoken from a man who knows what he is talking about.
I upgraded as you well know from a BT-99 to an SKB85TTR and have actually been shooting terrible with the new gun, until today.
I made a few adjustments to the gun and made sure I had a proper gun mount and a good stance and shot really well with it today.The gun does not shoot the targets, YOU DO.If you can't shoot the gun, the best one in the world won't make you any better shot.Make sure the gun fits to you and if you can't make it fit, get one that does.
My next gun will be the K-X5......nothing fancy like the K-80, but just a good solid well built gun that will last my lifetime and my kids lifetime and their kids lifetime.Thats what you get when you buy a K gun.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Is a K-80 a good gun? I'll go out on a limb here and say that any gun that sells new for over $10K is a good gun. People wouldn't buy it at that price if it weren't.

As to fit, are you buying new? If you are, I'm sure Krieghoff will work with you to make that stick fit.

And, as long as you're looking for a good gun, you should consider Perazzi, Beretta and Ljutic before you settle on that particular gun.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am very pleased with my K80 Trap Special. I've owned probably 20 different trap guns over the years, including offerings from Browning, Beretta, Remington (90T), Winchester, SKB and Caesar Guerini. All were good guns, but the K80 is really something special. This will be my last trap gun. Certainly, there are other brands that are worth considering, and most have been mentioned already. The K80 works well for me. Well balanced, soft recoil and outstanding patterns. It may, or may not be the gun for you. I'd recommend going to a major shoot and trying out the K80 as well as all the other brands you may be considering.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After looking at all the high end guns I chose the Kolar MAX T/A. :D :D :D I cant believe how nice it shoots. All of the high end guns are nice. Like Gary said, make sure you shoot them all before the purchase.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
The K-80 is one of the most reliable target guns being used today. In over 80,000 rounds through mine, I have broken one ejector and one small spring. Parts are warranteed for life and you pay labor after 3 years owner. I have done 3 updates (clean & check) and paid for them. I do the updates every 2 years if shooting more than 10,000 rounds each year with the Kgun. Put double release triggers in when new and had one pull-through over the years. Fixed it myself with a C-clip. World class triggers pulling or releasing. I did not like the factory chokes where all constriction is at the very end of the tube. One of the reasons that a IC K-choke will break 27 yard targets. Ended up adding a set of Wright chokes for better patterns and performance.

Maltzie

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm a Kolar fan. US-made it'll handle the round count of a pro shooter or avid trap devotee. Designed from the ground up for strength, durability, and ease of repair/rebuild.

Although the K-80 has a deservedly excellent reputation most folks I know who own them usually send them in at least every other year for an internal cleaning and tuneup. Plus the fact that, although updated to a degree, it's still a 1930s design.

K-80 - Thoroughbred, but can be highstrung.
Kolar - Plow horse that can run on a handful of oats.

Either will get the job done, it just depends on your personal taste and likes.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In my humble opinion, Krieghoffs ask a great deal more than what they truly command.
They do have very good triggers, maybe Even excellent. They are furnished with Bbls constructed of the finest steel.
However, as far as I am able to discern, those few points encompass the truly few positive attributes that may be counted in their favour.
Krieghoff supporters are akin to renta-crowds, very loud & very small in number. Don't be fooled, the world is home to many an outspoken minority group, Krieghoff owners may be counted among their ranks.
Look before you leap.

Regards................SoT

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes they are good guns.I know that for a fact because I shot yesterday with a gentelman that was shooting one and he told me they were before we started our squad. I broke 48/50 with my $500 BPS Trap and he broke 41/50 with his K-80. I guess i`ll have to think about that one a little.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
When ever you start talking Kguns, petty jealousy raises its ugly head. There must be many fewer K-80's in Australia when compared to the states. If you buy them for implied value, then sell them at market, you could make enough money to own one. When production guns are reduced to junk, Kguns still show little wear.

Krieghoff is about affordability and committment to the game. Scores at persoanl skill level. Not much to think about when Ohye, Kiner, Chambell, or Marshell is kickin' 48 butts every trip to the trap line....amazing.

Maltzie

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
I agree that Krieghoff makes a fine gun. I've shot a couple of them and I really like them. However, this statement, "Krieghoff is about affordability..." has me scratching my head. How can a gun that starts at $10K be geared toward affordability? Especially when I can buy a gun that will last just as long for half that amount?

If they can be had for less, please let me know. I've never seen even a used one for less than $6,500. I'm talking about the K-80 of course. The KX-5 can be had for around $4K.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Rastoff said:
I agree that Krieghoff makes a fine gun. I've shot a couple of them and I really like them. However, this statement, "Krieghoff is about affordability..." has me scratching my head. How can a gun that starts at $10K be geared toward affordability? Especially when I can buy a gun that will last just as long for half that amount?

If they can be had for less, please let me know. I've never seen even a used one for less than $6,500. I'm talking about the K-80 of course. The KX-5 can be had for around $4K.
Affordable as in the buyers capasity, not the guns price. I think you will find that those that like Kguns think they are better than Pguns and visa versa.

Maltzie

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
if I had to choose one gun, it would be a Kgun.One of these days, I will own one.
You can pay more for a gun, but don't think you can get any better.I have seen many expensive guns at the SHOT show and most are more expensive because of the wood or all the fancy engraving etc.etc., but if you look at how the guns are made, for the buck, there is none better made than the Kgun.
It will last a hundred lifetimes if taken care of.
salesrep

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
maltzahn said:
Affordable as in the buyers capacity, not the guns price.
Maltzie
OK, I'm not trying to be contentious here, but I'm not following this. Lets assume that I have the means to buy any gun I want. How does that mean a Krieghoff is more affordable than a Perazzi? Or am I completely off base here?

Affordability is also dynamic and based on desire. If you really want something, you will find a way to afford it. For example, I know lots of guys who say they can't afford to go to a game, but they can afford to pay for TV with all the pay channels and sports packages. My point is that weather or not you can afford something often comes down to what you really want.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Rastoff said:
maltzahn said:
Affordable as in the buyers capacity, not the guns price.
Maltzie
OK, I'm not trying to be contentious here, but I'm not following this. Lets assume that I have the means to buy any gun I want. How does that mean a Krieghoff is more affordable than a Perazzi? Or am I completely off base here?

Affordability is also dynamic and based on desire. If you really want something, you will find a way to afford it. For example, I know lots of guys who say they can't afford to go to a game, but they can afford to pay for TV with all the pay channels and sports packages. My point is that weather or not you can afford something often comes down to what you really want.
How true you are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.