Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kahn o/u, good quality or not ?

I'm thinking of geting one because they are kinda cheap, around $400.

thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Kahn. Try using the search function for that brand. You might also look into the following if you're looking for an inexpensive o/u:

[not in any particular order]

Lanber
Verona
Baikal
Silma
Stoeger
Fabarm
Fausti
Huglu

And I'm sure there are several more that others will mention.

You might want to go ahead and register on this site as it's the home of the friendliest shooting forum on the net. You'll probably want to spend a lot of time here as you can learn a lot from the knowledgeable posters here, as I have.

Good luck with your quest,
Otto...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took a long break at work today and went to the gun show. I finally saw some Kahn shotguns. A dealer had a .410, a 12 and a 20 ga. They were really nice shotguns. Inexpensive, $419-449, too. I think that they had a better fit and finish than the others in the same price range, Lanber, Bakail and Stoeger. The other thing that I liked about was the 20 ga. was built on a smaller frame, which makes it a pound to pound and a half lighter than the 12 ga. Both the Stoeger and Bakail 20's were bigger and heavier. The dealer who had the Lanber didn't have a 20. I also saw a Bakail semi auto in black synthetic for $319, good deal??

·
Registered
541 Posts
Chef The baikal is a pretty good deal but right now you can order a MP153 from CDNN for $269 in wood or Synthetic

As to the Khan not sure, but American rifleman named it as one of the guns of the year. Well if it lasts you 8-10 years then I would say it was well worth it. 5 years would be a what I woudl expect from a O/U in that range.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I bought a 20 gauge for my son about a month ago. I paid $360 for it and it came with 5 choke tubes. The wood to metal fit is excellent. The checkering is a bit poor but that is to be expected, the lines are spaced properly and I pointed the diamonds up with little effort. I am very impressed with them and in fact I am going to purchase the .410. As said if it lasts 8 to 10 years it is a bargain. The "engraving" is rolled on but then so is all of it on the even higher priced guns these days. It is just very plain and stark on this model.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guest, I too saw the Kahn (Gingis?) at our local Big 5 store. Looks to be pretty well made at that price range. What I could not find after searching everywhere was who handles their warranty. I would never buy a gun without finding out what warranty covers, who does the work, and what turn around time runs.
My favorite in your price range is the Lanber. Solid guns and damm good balance.
Good luck.
Jim

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Jim,

Kinda new to this forum but also saw the Kahn shotguns at Big 5. So I did some research myself. Looks like Century International Arms, Inc. is the US distributor for them. They have a downloadable manual for the 12 ***** model on their website (www.centuryarms.com) . I'm going to make another trip to Big 5 to take a serious look at these since these are more in my price range for an O/U. Of course if I could get rid of the wife, then I could spring for a Beretta :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Customstox,

Is there a warranty on those?

Did you buy it from CDNN?

I looked at a Baikal last week and was not impressed. The vent rib was crooked and it didn't have the greatest feel when I threw it up.

I know it's all about the almighty dollar but it's nice to get in on great deals when there is a chance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought this post was interesting. I found it in this forum in Fausti Over and Under. User is mallard

I work for Big 5, large sporting goods chain (over 300 stores). I the past 4 years, the two stores where I have worked, we got back (as in a customer return) about 7 of these guns. Most of the problems were one barrel not firing and one gun we could not open. My store manager does not like to order them as returns (especially the over $300. returns) are not something management likes to see happen. We also are seeing a higher than normal return on the Khan o/u's for the same reason. Little or no problems with Remington or Mossberg.
If I were buying a o/u, it would not be a low grade gun as we see too many problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When people are new to O/U shotguns, they don't always break them open far enough to engage both hammers.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Things may have changed, but in the past Khan have been noted for inconsistency. If you got a good one - great, a lemon - didn't seem like any amount of gunsmithing would fix it. Personally I can't afford to pay for some company's learning curve. After much research I bought a Baikal, they initially had some bad press but overtime the reviews became very consistent - They are considered ugly but rock solid reliable and for me that is OK. It depends most on how much you intend to use the gun, a hunter who put a few hundred rounds a year might find the Khan adequate and a good deal for the money. A clay shooter who puts a few hundred rounds a week thru a gun will likely be very disappointed. You might also try a used version of a better quality gun. I can't really knock Khans because I've never shot one, I've looked at them at Big-5 and most of them look decent but it's whats inside that counts and that's where Khans have been most criticized. No bird ever fell from the sky cause your gun looked good. Suggest doing a site search on "Khan" and read for while before making a final decision. Personally, I think Turkish guns in general will eventually become good buys but aren't there yet. And I'm not going to pay for them to learn quality control.

Posted by Dave A

At the link:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... light=kahn

I am 65 years old now and retired from G.M. Corp. but also was a licensed gunsmith for about 30 years. I have been into the Gazelle, Lanber, Verona, and of corse many others but just using these as they are somewhat close in price.and now my first Kahn. A good friend of mine's son got one and he wanted me to go through it and lube it and check it out. I didn't have the heart to tell him what I found as he can't take it back. It is with out a doubt the worst made gun I have ever worked on. The top firing pin is located way to high in the receiver and the hammer was just contacting the bottom of the firing pin. It was all ready starting to slip past it, and this is a new gun. It took me about an hour to rebuild the hammer to solve this problem. Any of you guys that don't have a gunsmith for a friend don' get one. The gazelle is head and shoulders above the Kahn and the Lanber is a real fine gun inside. I Bought one of the Lanbers 2097s as I was so inpressed with them.. The bigest problem I find with all new guns is that they don't lube anything when they put them together at the factory. Sad. Do your self a favor and take the stock off and lube it your self or ask a gunsmith to do it for you. Save you a lot of problems down the road. O and buy the way, the Verona is very well put together. God Bless

Last edited by Dave A on Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.