Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and gals). I was looking at some budget duck ammo and came across Kent Fasteel Steel shot. It's priced pretty decently, coming in at $10 a box for 3" shells (or $9 per box if you order a case of 10 boxes). Any body shot this stuff before? Does it perform alright? Only cheaper shells I see are Winchester Xpert Steel shot which is $1 cheaper per box, but since there are two higher grade Winchester's and only one grade of Kent (the Fasteel) it makes me suspicious about the really cheap Winchester loads . Anyways, just looking for some advice for a hunter on a budget. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the few boxes of Kent that I used. I know a couple of folks that were using it exclusively and they seem to have good results.As for that Sportsmans stuff.....not a chance for big ducks. The only time I would consider using it is teal season, the #6's within 10-20 yds have done fine, but the other stuff I have pitched overboard. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Michael Gaskins,I plan to purchase a case of Kent Fast Steel, this summer in preparation for the fall hunting seasons. I've not heard anything but good reviews about their ammo. Mack's Prarrie Wings had the best price that I've seen at $119.90 per case of 250 rounds.I refuse to shoot any Winchester steel shot ammo. The powder that they use is very dirty and rarely burns up in the barrel. I've had unburnt powder flakes blow back in my eyes.Good hunting, Bowhunter57

G

·
Michael...where did you find that price on kent. I know people that use it..and kill more ducks than i do...using remington nitro steel. The sound is more solid...and it is faster velocity.

Josh

PS: e mail me where you found it at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I have used several flats of Kent, it is one of my favorites for steel shot. I get it inexpensively but generally not that cheap. I buy the BB size for geese but when I finally use up my steel duck reloading components, I'll be buying them also.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I found it the other day for $99.90 a flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was going to pose the same question. Good feedback from everyone on the Kent Fasteel. I am looking to buy a case of the 3 1/2" #4 loaded w/ 1 3/8. Someone mentioned they found it for $99 a flat or case. Where? Is that online? The best Online price I've seen is Mack's Prarie Wings for $119 per case and $16.99 shipping. Anybody found it for cheaper online??

G

·
Michael Gaskins said:
Hi guys (and gals). I was looking at some budget duck ammo and came across Kent Fasteel Steel shot. It's priced pretty decently, coming in at $10 a box for 3" shells (or $9 per box if you order a case of 10 boxes). Any body shot this stuff before? Does it perform alright? Only cheaper shells I see are Winchester Xpert Steel shot which is $1 cheaper per box, but since there are two higher grade Winchester's and only one grade of Kent (the Fasteel) it makes me suspicious about the really cheap Winchester loads . Anyways, just looking for some advice for a hunter on a budget. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts