Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM GETTING AND ORDER READY FOR MACKS. I NEED SOME DUCK SHELLS. THINKING ABOUT THE KENT IMPACT, BUT I WANT SOME OPINIONS ON THEM FIRST. WILL BE SHOOTING MOSTLY WOODIES A FEW GREENHEADS AND SOME RINGNECKS. WHAT SHOT SIZE ALSO. IVE BEEN SHOOTING WINCHESTER SUPREME HV IN #3 3INCH. THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
262 Posts
The polymer/tungsten shot? I have haeard good things. When I use up my Tungsten iron I will get some. Get shot size #5 for general duck hunting. The 1 3/8 oz #5 sounds like a great load to me.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For the greenheads I'd go with the #5 IMPACT in the 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz 1375 fps load. I used #3 TM on a mallard this year and the pellets just blew through him. Not that that's bad (he tasted just fine). :)

For the smaller ducks you might consider the #6, it comes in a 1 1/4 oz load for 12 gauge, but it's boxed as a non-toxic upland load. Mack's has it.

I used a round of #5 IMPACT TM 3" turkey load and bagged a pair of ringnecks at 35 yards with one shot. Remington Mod choke.

A note: I always cut open a shell from each new kind of ammo I buy just to compare the pellets to everything else. Kent's #5 and #6 IMPACT TM seem about a half size larger than #5 and #6 lead, while the #3 TM looked a little smaller than #3 steel. The pellets are very round when compared to Hevi-Shot, but not quite as perfect as Kent's Fasteel.

-Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
Blackwing,
I've been using ITM for several years now and it is awesome. My favorite is the 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz 1400fps #5 waterfowl load. I've also shot ducks with the 1-1/4oz 1330fps #5 field load, the 1-3/8oz 1375fps #5 waterfowl load, and the 3" 1-1/2oz 1350fps #5 waterfowl load. Any of these loads will kill heavy, late-season mallards easily to 50 yards.

I can't see any difference lethality-wise between the various loads in the field, but all my guns pattern the first load better. Even with the lighter shot-charge, it puts as many or more hits in the pattern as the others. My guess is the old square load rule is the culprit. With that being the case, I can't see spending more for the heavier shot-charges.

I also expected the slower field load to pattern better than the faster waterfowl loads, but I found the opposite to be the case. They use a different (i.e. cheaper) wad in the field load, which I'm guessing does not manage the shot column as well.

Researcher is correct about Kent's sizing. The pellets tend to run slightly oversize. Although I haven't shot any birds with the 6's, I've heard from several sources that they work great. You just can't stretch the range quite as much as you can with the 5's (I'd limit the 6's to about 40 yards max).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I ORDERED SOME 3" 1 1/4OZ. #3AND#5. THE 5 FOR THE DUCKS AND THE 3 FOR GEESE.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Blackwing,
Make sure you pattern those 1525fps shells. You'll likely need more choke to hold the pattern together. I tested some of the 1525fps 1's and needed a full choke to throw usable patterns, whereas most of the other loads only needed modified. Keep the pattern together and they'll be absolute murder on the birds. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Michiganhunter,

You're right. Hevi-Shot, with its higher density, has greater range than tungsten-polymers. The reasons I still use Impact Tungsten Matrix are as follows:

1. Lead-like physical and ballistic properties. This means I can study the chokes and shot sizes people used with lead shot and easily translate that knowledge to my own hunting today. That way I can waste less money firing $2/round shells at a pattern board. (Although you can't eliminate that need entirely.)

2. Round pellets. Although square pellets would be easy to manufacture, no one uses them because they wouldn't be as aerodynamically efficient as spheres. T.M. is definitely more spherical than H.S., so the effective range of T.M. will not be as far behind that of H.S. as you might expect from its 10% lower density.

3. Pellet softness. I have unusually soft teeth. I have broken teeth eating Cheetos. :oops: I do not wish to bite into a goose breast containing Hevi-Shot! I have bitten Tungsten-Matrix pellets in half just to prove I could do it.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm ordering a couple boxes of TM myself. I'll be back to let you know how they pattern in my 870, and if I kill any geese or ducks with it..................... I did some pattern testing (although limited) on HS, Bismuth, Remington steel, and Fasteel. Although the Bismuth did pattern very nicely. I got just as good on paper with Fasteel and since it was the one that worked on birds too, at the time, I'm still using the Fasteel. (Hey for now it works and it's cheaper.) HS didn't pattern so well for me but I should give it a another test before I pass any judgement on it. A lot of people seem to be using it and liking it. I also agree with Researcher, in that I'm not very fond of biting into those steel BB's. :cry:.......................Anyway I'm still new (only my 2nd season) at all these waterfowl loads so I'm learning through every step. I'm not going say any of the brands I've tried are no good, just what has been working for me. I'll give them all another try on paper after this season and when I get my tax return. Thanks for the info here fellas. It is much appreciated. Please keep reporting what you find out. :D ........................................Researcher, You seem to like the 2 3/4" TM shell better. No? Have you been using it in cold weather, or would you suggest a 3" for that? Also, How much are you paying for the TM? The man at GM here has to order it from the Minnetonka, Mn store. And since he didn't actually speak with anyone there, yet, he could only tell me they were 32.00 a box I think. Please tell me that is not for a box of 10?!!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
cg, don't pay $32 for a box of 10! You can get the 2 3/4" shells through Mack's for under $15/box. Plus shipping of course. :cry:
http://www.mackspw.com/cat.asp?id=1&d=Ammunition

I'm about at the same level as you experience-wise. I only got into duck hunting late last fall; Snow geese are what really got me into waterfowling. I became a convert to Kent's Impact Tungsten Matrix when, after the 2004 spring light goose season, I started experimenting with different types of non-toxic shot on the pattern board. I shot a lot of Hevi, and Federal Tungsten Iron. Then I discovered Impact T.M. :twisted: Very pleased. Sure enough, my test results were borne out in the field last spring when I tried a variety of ammo on Snow geese at pass shooting distances. #1 T.M. proved deadliest. This coming spring I believe I'll also give the 1525 fps 3" load of #3 a try.

This fall I mostly used 3" or even 3.5" T.M. loads on ducks, but it was all over-kill. Next year I'm gonna take Bug Doc's advice and use 2 3/4" #5 on ducks. Probably the 1400 fps, 1 1/4 oz load, since I can get them at a local retailer and avoid shipping costs. :wink:

-Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
cg, Researcher,
I just picked up a case (100 rds) of the 2.75" 1.25oz 1400fps 5's from Mack's for $129.95, plus they threw in the shipping with the volume order. Between the free shipping, no sales tax, and the volume discount, I'm saving $3.50 / box over what I pay locally. Still not cheap, but worth every penny. 8)

·
Registered
999 Posts
cg, Researcher,
I just picked up a case (100 rds) of the 2.75" 1.25oz 1400fps 5's from Mack's for $129.95, plus they threw in the shipping with the volume order. Between the free shipping, no sales tax, and the volume discount, I'm saving $3.50 / box over what I pay locally. Still not cheap, but worth every penny. 8)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
No friggin way man!!!! The TM's came in today and are $33.00 for a box of ten!? :shock: :?: Screw that. I don't mind paying the extra buck for good shells but that's just nuckinfutz!...................Researcher and BugDoc, Thanks. Going to Mack's.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Anyone in SE Wi or NE Ill. know a retailer/gunshop that stock's TM?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FINALLY GOT TO TRY OUT THE KENT IMPACT. I WILL NOT SHOOT ANYTHING ELSE.EVERY BIRD I SHOT FOLDED UP DEAD AS A HAMMER. NO CRIPPLES

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Blackwing said:
FINALLY GOT TO TRY OUT THE KENT IMPACT. I WILL NOT SHOOT ANYTHING ELSE.EVERY BIRD I SHOT FOLDED UP DEAD AS A HAMMER. NO CRIPPLES
:twisted: That's what I'm talkin' about. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I tried two boxes of the 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz #5 recently. I really like the stuff, it shoots as good as lead out of my fixed choke O/U (Full/IC). I can't afford to pattern many at $1.75 a shot, but I got 9 ducks on 18 shells so far, with zero cripples that I know of. So I guess they work. The only problem I had with them is that they kick a little much for me. My O/U is only about 7 1/4 lb with a plastic buttplate, and depending on what I am wearing it really kicks/slides off my shoulder with these loads, if I am in an awkward shooting position.

I stopped at Cabela's today in Hamburg, PA for more ammo. I got the 1 1/4oz #5 instead, hopefully they will kick less. They were marked $15.99 (instead of $16.99 for 1 3/8oz load) for 10, but they rang up as $11.89 at the register. That prompted me to go buy two more boxes.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would love to try the stuff, but I have no Kent dealers near me. I may order a case for next season...

I can get Hevi, but TM is cheaper and from the reviews, it sounds like the better shell.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
mdbuckle said:
...I can get Hevi, but TM is cheaper and from the reviews, it sounds like the better shell.
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that the shell itself is better. If I had one complaint about Kent it would be that, unlike Remington, they don't seal their crimps. This results in occasional buffer leaks, especially when carried crimp end down in shell loops while hiking long distances to remote pools.

But I use TM because of the nice round, evenly shapped pellets, the tooth safety issue, and the reliable patterning through traditional lead chokes. Order a couple boxes from Mack's and see how they perform for you. For me, it's like getting to hunt waterfowl with lead, which I never did before. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am exteremly ashamed to admit that I have been duck hunting up untill last year. I am also ashamed to admit that 80% of the population of Newfoundland who duck hunt still use lead. In fact, I was at my gun dealer and they were out of Hevi. I told them I needed something, and I wasn't interested in steel. He reached under the counter and took out a box of 3" #4 buffered lead shot. I laughed and did buy the stuff cause he gave me a good deal on it. I will just use it for turre hunting in Labrador someday...

You mentioned about kents buffer leaking...I have a major problem with the Hevi buffer leaking. All my pockets, my truck glove box, everywhere! The little white flakes are everywhere!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts