Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone reload any Kent shells? I have a couple of boxes of Fasteel in my lockers and was thinking about putting them to use. Lyman's doesn't have any recipies for them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks! Where does one find type information like that, other than bugging you wise souls?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
When you scrounge, study, cut, and examine many different hulls over the years, you get a prety good idea what kind of hulls they are just by looking at them. Compare them to a "known" Cheddite hull and that tells you a lot. Sometimes you will get a loading booklet that tells you things that confirm your suspiscions too. The newer Hodgdon and IMR booklets provide some of that data if you look closely, but asking here is a good sourse too. Before taking what you read here as Gospel, it may behove you to do a bit of research for your self too. Actually compare the Kent hull to a known Cheddite and see if YOU think it is too! It's your head, eyes, fingers, and life you are dealing with here! :wink: In almost any situation I can think of right now, it really doesn't make any difference whether the hull is a Cheddite, Clever/Mirage, Fiocchi, or even a Federal paper base wad hull, they all load about the same. close enough that the difference is neglegable. Many times you will find data for all of those hulls listed together in one section or when comparing between sections, find the only difference is a couple tenths of a grain of the same powder and a couple hundred psi of difference in chamber pressure. How much difference do you think that makes? I probably have 50 or so different powder company loading booklets from many, many years past and present. There is a wealth of information in them if you research it a little.

BP

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
One place for that type of info is a shotshell reloading handbook. My dad gave me all his shotgun loaders and equipment but before I loaded my first shells I read his old books too - including Lyman's Shotshell Handbooks, First Edition and Second Edition. Their hull IDs are somewhat dated now but the basics of reloading have not changed much. Fourth Edition is "current" (mid 90's I think), and might or might not ID cheddite hulls. Fifth Edition was due out the other year but is still not out. I'm not sure if they will ever release it; there are so many components on the market today it would be tough to catalog them all.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
All reifenhauser designed hulls with a square plastic basewad are virtually identical ballistically, as long as the internal capacities are fairly similar, which most are.Like BP said,WOLF,Cheddite, most RIO's most european hulls,Clever,Fiocchi's,Challenger, etc.etc.
Even the federal paper b/w hull is almost identical to these,as is the gold medal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts