Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Pointer II from Kevin's. What do y'all think, your opinions are always so varied and unique?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
If you dig it, it fits you and you have the asking price with no or little strain on the wallet, go for it. If a gun shoots well for you, its looks please you and you've still got walking-around money, all's right with the world. :D

That said, it does look like a very well-dressed 686/7 series to me, and I think $3,750 is high for that particular line.

Having owned several in the 686/7 series (and still owning two) and one Caesar Guerrini Magnus (about $3,300), I'd suggest you look at the CGs if there's a dealer stocking them near you.

No expert. JMO, YMMV.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beretta and MGF: I have a CG Magnus Spt Ltd and you are CORRECT it is a FINE shotgun! Was looking for a field gun and did not wanna get to heavy into CG's without some diversity. My main concern would be getting so much money in it that you could never get out for a reasonable amount, if in fact I ever sold it. I know it is hard, but about what should this series go of Beretta go for?

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
MarkA said:
Beretta and MGF: I have a CG Magnus Spt Ltd and you are CORRECT it is a FINE shotgun! Was looking for a field gun and did not wanna get to heavy into CG's without some diversity. My main concern would be getting so much money in it that you could never get out for a reasonable amount, if in fact I ever sold it. I know it is hard, but about what should this series go of Beretta go for?
A nice 686/687 on the used market is going to be in the $1500 range. The gun you are looking at is a higher end gun almost on the custom end of things. If I were looking at 686/687's in that level of finish I'd look at it somewhere around a new SP II or III or about $2400.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know Kevin and have done business with him. They have a great store. However, I think the Pointer is overpriced. I would personally go to Rich Cole and get the same gun with upgraded wood and the engraving I wanted for less money

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Mark,

Personally, I find balancing the contents of the safe a very reasonable stance. I think that if you decide against another CG, a well-dressed gun from the 686/7 Beretta from Kevin's or Rich Cole would probably serve you very well. That said, with the SP II through SP V lines out there, you might have some trouble recovering the extra cost you put into this gun. Or say 10 years from now, maybe not. I see used Berettas of the two models I own going for what I have in mine. Beretta double guns certainly seem to hold their value well.

Personally, I'd make my choice on the best gun that I can afford today that pleases me most. If you only get 60 or 65 percent out of it if you want to quickly resell it down the road, rather than say 70 to 85 percent, so what? A lovely gun that fits, hits and pleases your senses will have given you that difference in margin of return in enjoyment alone.

Hell, I've got three 16 gauge O/Us from FAIR, who practically knowbody outside the world of dedicated Italian O/U fans (or serious bargain hunters) knows about. I'm having an absolute ball and finding them uber-reliable, but I'll probably never recover my cost. But, like you, I try to balance the safe a little. I figure were I to sell patiently, I could get nearly 90 percent from my two Beretta O/Us (they're very well cared for and looking good), more than 100 percent from a Winchester 42 I scored on, and maybe 75 percent on an Ithaca NID. The less "adored by the masses" guns in my safe like my CG, my Ruger Red Label 28 and my FAIRs, I don't worry so much.

When it's really all said and done, I look for reliable shooters that thrill me. The investment I consider just part of the hobby, like an amateur mechanic might consider good tools. They're well cared for, work every time and I'm pleased with their performance. And when I open safe, I still say either, "Hello, babies" or "My, aren't I a lucky man."

Most important, IMO, have fun. It's a hump out there...we are hedging our fun funds! :wink:

Good shooting.

MGF (also a Mark)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts