Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a new O/U and ran across the Marist by Kimber. While and beauty and the snob appeal of a true sidelock I am also confronted by 1) the COST! and 2) Kimber being a 1911 outfit their commitment to shotguns.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Marist or with Kimber as shotgun maker?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I haven't seen the O/U but their sxs is superb! It shows incredible attention to detail and has very good balance and handling. Even the inside of the locks (which are field-removable) are superbly finished.

They haven't been around long enough to have a history so we can't yet tell how well they hold up but the few I know of that are owned by friends seem to be very good in terms of reliability. In fact, I have never heard of a problem.

They are not expensive guns and if they come out with a 12 gauge sxs I will seriously consider it.

Frank

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a good gun for an aggy!!! :wink:

No seriously, in my opinion, the receivers on the Kimber just don't do it for me. Looks like you left it out in the rain and weather for a year, but each his own, I personally like the silver engraved receivers.

If I were you I'd check out the new Franchi Renaissance. Franchi is Italian and owned by Beretta.

I might also give Weatherby a look, they just got rid of SKB and hired an Italian Gunsmith to manufacture it's SxS and O/U line.

Again, to each his own!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
You know...

I just don't know if Weatherby giving SKB the shove was a good think or not.

I've owned a couple of SKB's (585's) and really liked them. They were of fair quality and nicely done IMHO.

Looking at the Weatherby's at Cabela's the other day...the SxS's just didn't do it for me. They look just like what they are...a gun built to a price.

I wasn't overly impressed but opinions vary as always.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
On the new Kimbers, I've never been able to make the price-quality equation work out for me. I've thrown 'em to my shoulder in stores, looked 'em over and handed 'em back. Re the SxSs, for that kind of money, I'd go with one of the well-regarded Spanish makers, an American classic in shooting shape, or a used English boxlock. Have never seen the O/Us.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
MGF said:
On the new Kimbers, ....... Re the SxSs, for that kind of money, I'd go with one of the well-regarded Spanish makers, an American classic in shooting shape, or a used English boxlock. Have never seen the O/Us.
Good point - pricewise they are competing with the AyA or a used Arrieta, both guns that have a long and good track record.

I don't know prices on used Kimbers

Frank

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I don't personally know anyone who owns a Kimber shotgun, but I must agree with the sentiment that it's competing with the nice Spanish guns (like Arrieta), which can be had with custom stock dimensions and are better looking (IMHO!) for very similar $$. If you want to spend around $5K, I'd look at Arrieta for a SxS.

As for the Kimber O/U specifically, I remember reading a few months ago that there were problems with them. I don't recall specifically what those problems were.

If you are looking for a great deal on a custom-made shotgun, and aren't afraid of guns made by Huglu (they do make the SxS shotguns for Kimber, you know - the Kimber O/U's are made in Italy) I'd give De Haan Shotguns a good look. You can get a truly custom, bespoke O/U for starting at $1385! (PS - You can currently get a 5% discount - check out the De Haan Forum on this BBS).

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
BPGuy said:
If you are looking for a great deal on a custom-made shotgun, and aren't afraid of guns made by Huglu (they do make the SxS shotguns for Kimber, you know - the Kimber O/U's are made in Italy) I'd give De Haan Shotguns a good look. You can get a truly custom, bespoke O/U for starting at $1385! (PS - You can currently get a 5% discount - check out the De Haan Forum on this BBS).
There is nothing wrong, in principle, with guns made by Huglu. They are a job-shop gunmaker and will build shotguns to almost any price-point their clients want.

Kimber has them build guns that Kimber can profitably retail at 5K; DeHaan has them build a gun that he can profitably retail at 1.4K.

Kimber, having a handgun reputation, may be trying to penetrate a market that is quite different from DeHaan's. (unless, of course, the guns are identical in quality and Kimber is just charging an additional 3.6K!!!)

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts