Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to identify the ages of various family shotguns that have been passed down so that I can give my grandson a history on his heirloom(s). Any and all information is appreciated.

A) Double barrel 12 gauge shotgun marked on the barrel "Knickerbocker, Genuine Army, Choke Box" and the number "81674" stamped into the metal under the barrels when opened. This was my grandfather's gun so I suspect it is early 1900s.

B) Double barrel 20 gauge shotgun marked on the barrel "Stevens Model 311 Series H, Savage Arms Westfield, Mass". The serial number is C862404. This was my other grandfather's shotgun and I also suspect it is early 1900s.

C) The 3rd gun is a double barrel 12 gauge. The only markings I found were "Montgomery-Ward" stamped on the barrel. This I think was my either my Grandmother's or my Dad's gun and could be early to mid 1900s. Do I need to break this gun down to find other info?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
shillis45 said:
B) Double barrel 20 gauge shotgun marked on the barrel "Stevens Model 311 Series H, Savage Arms Westfield, Mass". The serial number is C862404. This was my other grandfather's shotgun and I also suspect it is early 1900s.
Much later. Stevens was notorious for not using serial numbers at all until very late... If I recall correctly, a "C" serial number would date to 1951.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The Knickerbocker could be a Crescent or a STevens..made anywhere between 1895 and 1930.. The Stevens is a relatively "new" gun" The Westfield address is much later, It was used in the 60s and 70s and possibly as early as the 50s, like drfsmd says ,, The Montgomery Ward could be Ithaca, Stevens, Iver johnson or others..Some photos showing the sides, top and bottom on guns 1 and 3 will help,,Bushrod

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
On the Stevens SxS.
If it has a serial # it was made after 1968. The "C" in the serial # has nothing to do with the date of mfg.
The Series H were some of the last ones made.
I believe 1988 was the last year of production.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Jim: you are in error about the Stevens serial numbers. Guns made after 1968 MUST have numbers. Stevens guns made prior to 1968 MAY or MAY NOT have numbers... Nearly all the early Stevens doubles had numbers.. after 1949, Stevens used letters of he alphabet as a date code, Whether or not the C in this case, is the date, I don;t know..Bushrod

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
natty bumpo said:
after 1949, Stevens used letters of he alphabet as a date code, Whether or not the C in this case, is the date, I don;t know..Bushrod
That was my logic. I believe a=1949, b=1950, and subsequently, c=1951. But I might not be correct on that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Attached are various pcitures of the Stevens, Knickerbocker, and Montgomery-Ward shotguns. My son was able to find further info on the Montgomery-Ward. It was made by Western Field and has a serial number 89698.
I'm not sure how to attach a picture here but my son has them on the following site http://www.photoshopshowcase.com/ViewFlashMedia.aspx?AID=65148&AT=3

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Jim: you are in error about the Stevens serial numbers. Guns made after 1968 MUST have numbers. Stevens guns made prior to 1968 MAY or MAY NOT have numbers... Nearly all the early Stevens doubles had numbers.. after 1949, Stevens used letters of he alphabet as a date code, Whether or not the C in this case, is the date, I don;t know..Bushrod

Bushrod is right about the serial #'s. In general Savage/Stevens did not put serial #'s on guns between the 40's and 1968. The earlier guns usually had no more than 5-6 digit serial #'s and usually no letters. The "C" in the posters SxS is a classic "newer"(after 68 ) serial #.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts