Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing the boards for some time now, and have narrowed my selection for a pistol grip stock for the Mossy 590 down to the Knoxx SpecOps and the MesaTactical low tub kit. The problem is, I have never shot with either of these stocks installed, let alone both. The Knoxx stock is less expensive and seems to have more features, but the MesaTactical stock has a better look (IMO) and the ability to mount a shell holder to the receiver. Any opinions from the experts out there in ShotGun-Land?
-Kevin

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see why you can't mount a shell holder to the receiver with the Knoxx setup as well. So, it depends if you like the features offered. I like the Knoxx setup for the recoil reduction but there is something to be said for the variety of pistol grips and types of stocks you can mount to the Mesa Tactical unit if you like the looks. You'll get some good opinions here on both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
personally, id go with the SpecOps. Can't go wrong with it. And with the Knoxx Power Pack, you will have the opportunity to mount a shell holder to it, and a cheek piece. And it reduces recoil like you wouldnt believe!!! Mesa Tactical products are great and everything, but for the money, id go with Knoxx on this one. just my 2 cents.

-John

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
+1 on SpecOps

add my 2¢ to oldirtyjohn's 2¢

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One question about the SpecOps... Does it obstruct the use of the fore-end slide release switch on the Mossberg 500/590, being that it's located behind the trigger guard. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it, because I'd love to pick one of these bad boys up today.
-Kevin

·
Registered
80 Posts
well the with the specops on a 500/590 you just have to "reach around" a little more than normal. its not really accessable with the thumb, you have to go around the trigger with the forefinger. not really a problem, just something you have to get used to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mesa Tactical is a great company (I use one of their picatinny rails) but the Knoxx SPecOps (also a great company) provides recoil reduction that FUNdamentally changes the experience of shooting slug and buck. I love mine. Here are a couple of pics of the slide release area on my 590 with SpecOps stock. You have to feel for it a time or two but it becomes second nature in no time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my opinion, Knoxx SpecOps AND a Mesa Tactical shell holder (mine happens to be mounted on the right because I am LH). Both are super strong, super functional.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with the Mesa for several reasons - one being that I use the big button saftey and I LOVE it - it can NOT be used with the Knoxx system. If you have not used the big button safety - https://www.vangcomp.com/accessories.html

one time and you will be hooked... it is so easy to take the gun off safety... bring the gun up on target, finger along side the trigger, role the index finger on the button - off it goes, finger on the trigger - great... Customer service, great product are the other reasons I went with Mitch at Mesa..

Knoxx is nice but -- Well, you get the picture

·
Registered
566 Posts
You have to decide whether you want recoil reduction or not. Knoxx SpecOps is great for recoil reduction whereas the Mesa low and high tube setups are not.
But I think Mesa is going to come out with an hydraulic stock outfit in the near future.
And, with a little creative "feathering", the Knoxx SpecOps can be used with the big-button safety. A great combination.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I have the SpecOps on a Maverick 88. Same thing as a Mossy. The slide release is perfectly accessible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On Saturday 2/25/06 I installed a Knoxx stock on my 870 Express. I am very impressed. I cranked out 15 shots back to back and could tell a huge difference. Follow up shots are quick due to reduced recoil & Muzzle Rise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A surprising resurgance in this post... I figure I should say something since it was originally mine.
I wound up with the MesaTactical low tube on my 590, and haven't regretted it. Recoil has never been much of a concern for me, so the reduction of said recoil didn't weigh too much on my decision. I went with the MT setup because I had done more research on that and felt that it would better suit my needs and desires once I put a holo-sight on. I have since seen a and held an 870 (sadly, not able to shoot it) that had the SpecOps and it felt like a fine piece of workmanship, so far beit from me to say one is superior to the other. I am happy with my choice, and many are happy with their SpecOps. In the end, get whatever you want.

Oh, and the foreend release is accessable on either modle, so don't worry. As for the "big button safety" that someone mentioned before, they weren't talking about the 590, though I have heard about the issues with regards to the 870.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts