Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
849 Posts
that's a little too much true oil but taking a stiff toothbrush and rubbing some birchwook casey stock sheen and conditioner over the checkering will cut down that over-shiny appearance.

It's about $5, and the stuff is also good for cleaning minor scuffs. It's basically a very very light abrasive in some lemon pledge... that sort of idea. It's something they forgot to do at the factory.

· Registered
4 Posts
I made and checkered a few shotgun stocks. It appears to me the OP's gun was spray-finished. Not unusual for a factory gun and certainly nothing inherently wrong with it, especially for a target gun that could be cheeked 10 or even 20 thousand times a year. The most durable finishes are 2-part catalyzed finishes akin to automobile finishes.

I personally never "shot" a gunstock and didn't have access to such hard finishes for a few decades. But I'm a believer now that "pre-catalyzed" lacquers are now available in rattle cans. I can literally (re) finish a stock in the AM and take it to the trap line in the PM.

That said, the most practical and durable finish I've found for checkering is 2 coats of a 50/50 mix of acetone and cyanoacrylate (super glue). It penetrates like water, cures almost instantly, is water/oil proof and hard as rock. It will freeze and harden wood to give checkering that wears like iron, and stays sharp and crisp without dulling, literally for years.

· Registered
13 Posts
I just received my new special order Kolar. Only thing special were gloss barrels, upgraded wood and longer LOP. This is my third special order from the factory in about 10 years. Anyway, one major difference is that the checking has an abundance of finish in it. It’s not dull like every other Kolar I’ve seen or own. I don’t know much about stock finishing but shiny checking isn’t right.
What are your thoughts?
Hi 1Chem_E,

I know you have spent a lot of money on this gun and you should expect excellent quality. I have not seen the gun in person and my comments are based on the left side of the grip in the photo.

During the 70's and 80's I was building Custom big bore rifles in Alaska. Checkering is a learned process and just about anyone can do it. BUT, only a few do it really well. I have attended several of the North American Gun Guild shows and have seen at least 100 stocks by some of the best stock makers in the world. The grip on the left side of the stock is not only over filled with finish but the checkering and border are poorly executed.

I started to address some of the problems I see but decided not to do that. If you are happy with the stock except for the shiny checkering, then enjoy it and don't worry about what I or someone else might think.

The problem with the shiny checkering is they used True Oil and they put too much on the checkering. I am surprised that they would use True Oil at these prices. They should correct the problem.

Frank

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi 1Chem_E,

I know you have spent a lot of money on this gun and you should expect excellent quality. I have not seen the gun in person and my comments are based on the left side of the grip in the photo.

During the 70's and 80's I was building Custom big bore rifles in Alaska. Checkering is a learned process and just about anyone can do it. BUT, only a few do it really well. I have attended several of the North American Gun Guild shows and have seen at least 100 stocks by some of the best stock makers in the world. The grip on the left side of the stock is not only over filled with finish but the checkering and border are poorly executed.

I started to address some of the problems I see but decided not to do that. If you are happy with the stock except for the shiny checkering, then enjoy it and don't worry about what I or someone else might think.

The problem with the shiny checkering is they used True Oil and they put too much on the checkering. I am surprised that they would use True Oil at these prices. They should correct the problem.

Frank
Thanks Frank. I was surprised to see it this way. ASI said this is my third Kolar and second of 2022 and the other gun from 2022 was to my liking. After talking with the dealer and Kolar, they both said this is normal and how all the guns from around my serial number forward will be done like this. Kolar didn’t want to address this and told me it’s a good thing.

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Frank. I was surprised to see it this way. ASI said this is my third Kolar and second of 2022 and the other gun from 2022 was to my liking. After talking with the dealer and Kolar, they both said this is normal and how all the guns from around my serial number forward will be done like this. Kolar didn’t want to address this and told me it’s a good thing.
It is a good thing that they sealed the checkering but not good the way they did it. If that is an example of their checkering in the future, I would be looking for another builder. There are more problems than just how they finished the checkering.

Frank

· Registered
201 Posts
Looks like a beautiful stock and finish to me. I wouldn't be concerned unless the checkering doesn't have any bite/grip to it. Other than that I bet the finish will be more flat after some summer use :)..

· Registered
136 Posts
The classic way to cut the checkering was after the finish was applied leaving the better grip of the sharp raw wood in the checkering. Some target guns (Krieghoff) apply the finish over the checkering for what I assume is improved durability and weather resistance. Looks like Kolar has switched to the Krieghoff approach. Personally, I like the checkering sealed with some amount of finish for durability.
Yes it looks very much like how Krieghoff finishes their stocks. As mentioned, nothing wrong with it, but I’ve found gloves (MacWet) help me get a better grip on my K-80.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts