Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to purchase a new Kolar sporting clays gun. I'm having a hard time deciding between the flat taper, ramp taper and adjustable models.

This will be a dedicated sporting clays gun with a little skeet for practice. Just looking for other shooters experience with the different ribs.

Thanks!

· Registered
9,426 Posts
Ribs are an entirely personal thing, what works great for one will be the worst thing in the world for another. You will need to get out and put some trigger time on each, this is one thing where input from others is basically meaningless. I will say that if you don't KNOW you want a high rib, you probably don't want a high rib.

· Registered
85 Posts
What Skeet_man said, you will have to put in the trigger time. Don't know where you live, but often times large dealers will have demo days or set up a large shoots with demo Kolars to try. Don't rush into anything try them all and get what YOU want.

· Registered
6 Posts
Signman150 said:
I'm wanting to purchase a new Kolar sporting clays gun. I'm having a hard time deciding between the flat taper, ramp taper and adjustable models.

This will be a dedicated sporting clays gun with a little skeet for practice. Just looking for other shooters experience with the different ribs.

Thanks!
I went with the adjustable rib on mine. I don't mind the slightly higher rib and I wanted the maximum versatility on my one and done Kolar that I can shoot any discipline. I also like the higher, more heads up shooting position for sporting clays. At the end of the day it really is about what works best for you so if you can demo some guns before you buy I'd highly recommend doing it!

· Registered
59 Posts
I did not want a high rib until I shouldered one at the Grand. Now I have three, all Kolars. For me, I do not have to crane my head forward on the stock to get into the gun. As well as the high rib, you should look into the various stock dimensions. I have the #2 stock on my Kolars; the offset and drop are almost perfect for me. If you live in the midwest and are anywhere near Sparta, Illinois, you should make a trip to the Grand American Trap Shoot to at least get a hands-on feel for the different guns. Kolar and others are there just for that purpose. Amateur Trapshooting Association > About Us > Grand American

Michael

· Registered
489 Posts
I have a high adjustable rib on my Zoli Z-Sport. I like it for the most part, but found that I basically just set it in the 55/45 position and never change it, since I also most only shoot sporting. If you are shooting just sporting, I wouldn't recommend the high rib. It definitely gives you a more comfortable head position if you have a long neck. With some target presentations the high rib was a disadvantage for me (ie dropping targets). If you are going back and forth between sporting and trap the adjustable high rib can be an advantage.

When I bought my Kolar, I went through the same debate as you deciding on which rib, but I knew I didn't want the high adjustable rib. I ended up getting the Ramp Tapered Rib, which is Kolar's mid-rib. After talking with Robert Paxton, he told me that there was only a 3/16" difference between the Ramp Taper and the Flat rib, but the Ramp Taper gives you just a slightly more heads-up position. I really like this rib configuration, and dropping targets are much easier for me with it. It is a little harder for me to keep my head on the gun having gotten used to the high rib, but I'm getting better and better with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rib configurations, but definitely look at the Ramp Tapered rib.

· Registered
233 Posts
I can't imagine moving the rib between disciplines. How would the shooter's brain instinctively know the "right" sight picture for the target? Particularly since any target can be thrown in Sporting Clays. Derrick Mein and lots of other pro shooters have achieved significant success by raising the comb (relative to a flat shooting gun) and using that setting for every target and game. This also allows better visibility of what you're shooting at. Plan to retrain your brain though! I made this change years ago and wouldn't even consider going back. I shoot Kolar barrels with the Ramp Tapered rib and a comb that is about 1/4" higher than flat-shooting.

· Registered
2,823 Posts
3/16" over flat is a HUGE difference when talking ribs and stock dimensions. The level of comfort it affords is a big deal.

To me the one thing that makes Kolar competitive with Krieghoff is the ability to have that ramp taper rib in a much lighter feeling (particularly the front end) gun. If i were going Kolar no question it would be the ramp taper barrels with one of their monte carlo stocks.

· Registered
338 Posts
I prefer the standard ramped rib Max Lite Sporting. IMHO it has just enough but not too much rib. I have a long neck and it works just fine for all clays games. It is set up approximately 55/45. Works for clays, FITASC, AFS, skeet, and I can turn in respectable trap scores. Any misses are not due to the gun.

I can’t image changing setup for different games.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.