Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got in an older kolar aaa sub ga tube set with titanium chambers.
must be 20 years?
anyway...they fit in the carrier bbl just fine. slaves work fine. numbers match the gun, they were made for the gun.
now, no matter what ga or what tube it is..top or bottom....shells wont chamber unless pushed in with force the last 1/4" on the base rim.
i did this with dummy hulls resized. ejectors click but nothing moved. forget it! theyre in there. so out came the rod, knocked them out...and im convinced something is seriously wrong with the ID.

what could it be? i tried factory and reload shells too. nothing chambers w/o force.

any ideas?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all 3 gauges with all 6 tubes.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Have you tried A-Zoom snap caps, or unfired AA factory shells? Do they also need a push to seat in the chamber? When was the last time the chambers have been cleaned? Wire brush on a drill. Is this gun new to you, or have you had it, and it just started doing this?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
allow me to establish a little background.
im not new to tubes.
i know what a chamber is suppose to do.
i know how to clean guns and before i post anything on a forum, i do all the obvious things short of sending it all to kolar for an inspection.
yes, its clean. yes i tried old school circa 80-90's hulls, new eurocrap hulls, steel casings, brass casings, reloaded hulls, factory hulls, resized unloaded hulls.
nothing chambers.
no, the titanium tubes arent cracked. yes the tubes are numbered to the gun so they are the tubes that went with the gun.
bores are bright and shiny.

if the tubes were made of wood, id say they swelled, because all of them have the same issue.
and as stated...i just got this set in, so i know no back history other than it belonged to the nssa's maryland chapter past president and state champ . so it was working before it came to me. but its been sitting for many MANY years in its nasco case well protected in a clean house. it is not rusted or corroded.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
So, it was working before you got it, which means you screwed it up. Way to go. :) We obviously can't help you. Send it to Kolar.
Just brainstorming here. Are the tubes hard to install in the barrel? Do you have the same issue when the tubes aren't in the barrel?

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Maybe a little more "background" is in order here. First, titanium does not swell when exposed to water like wood does. Second, if you haven't tried brand new Winchester AA or Remington STS shells, you need to; that's what the Kolar chambers are spec'd for. Third, while you are fully aware of how to clean a gun, did you take the extra step of wrapping a little steel wool on a bore brush, lubricating the chamber with a good CLP and polishing the chambers by spinning the brush in an electric drill? If the gun was oiled and put away before you got it, the chambers...and, probably, the complete bore...may have an accumulation of hard-to-remove crud in them.

Now, Mark has it right if those steps haven't produced the desired results; call Kolar and ask. The folks there are very good about providing assistance.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i screwed up by asking a simple question on sgw....for sure! :>

all the tubes install correctly. these tubes are not worn out either. they appear like new.
too bad he died before he could use them a lot.

of all the tube sets ive shot...ive never ran across something like this before.
its as if none of the chambers were ever polished or not checked for tolerences before sending out.

anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes to all questions.
still tight.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Do you have access to any chamber gauges to see if the chambers are to spec ? If they are not they should probably go to Kolar for warranty work.Any chance the original owner had special chambers made? There are only two possibilities here,the chambers are too small,or the shells are too big,a chamber gauge will produce the answer.

Bobcat

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you mean brand specific chambers as mentioned by wham?
if so....as i mentioned, i put every known shell in it and they all are tight.
im going to try the drill polish one more time. but i know what crud looks like and i dont see any at all.
here goes........

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, tried something crude.
i cut a resized fired hull in half. teh base dropped right in.
so, the issue is at the crimp end.
it has to be seriouscrud or corrosion in the forcing cone area.
im going to spin it some more.
ill let you all know what happens.
oh btw...it doesnt mike out to a 21ga or29ga!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no. anniversary time. kolars must wait. but it was a tough decision....!!!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just curious....does titanium corrode and what would it look like?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Doubtful,titanium's best feature is corrosion resistance. http://www.totalmateria.com/Article24.htm Also if Kolar is like Briley,only the 410 chambers would be titanium,the 20 and 28 would be steel.You must know someone with a chamber reamer (or chamber gauge) in one of the gauges,I would just try the reamer for fit,not ream.If they are indeed undersized, Kolar should get first crack at finishing them.

Good luck and happy anniversary
Bobcat

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm....then theres a good chance steel corrodes.
remember, key point is....these tubes sat for a good 20 years.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cleaned it all again. still tight.

but...i tried something else.....i broke out some (really old school) nib factory ammo from my stash in the lost and forgotten pile.
knowing these tubes are circa mid 90's...i tried some mid-90's federal hi-power skeet brass base 28ga and they slipped right in. went over to some AA 20ga brass base and they slipped right in. sure enough, in went the 410 AA brass bases.

wow what a relief. but talk about 0 tolerences! these tubes certainly dont like reloads!

now my only concern is....will it eject? time to visit the range. i'll let you all know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.