Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of their patterns? How is it done? I've looked at their various patterns several times and not sure that I like some of the more expensive ones over some of the lower priced patterns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IIRC, the "standard" and the "super standard" engravings are machine stamped. All other grades are engraved by hand. I prefer the simpler patterns, as it matches the stout construction of the gun itself.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Bridger - although they do some higher end engraving I do like (plantation grade for example), like yourself I am not a big fan of the deep relief Germanic style which seems a bit heavy handed to me. But there are others who love this style.

Likewise, I don't really like super tight English scroll, my preferences run to large American bank scroll or graceful Italian style....but again, there are fans of all of these styles of engraving.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I looked hard at a Schilling scroll at Nat'ls in Oct 07.Jana Schilling's work is highly prized and her engravings are going up in price FAST.

Saw one on PSA's site for $22k and a Schilling "Game Scene" for $26k.

I have learned that she does some of the Bavaria Suhl grades and some of the Bavaria Royale grades.

For me the plain original "Schilling scroll" is the ultimate.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Personally to me a standard grade with broken clay top and trigger guard with nickel pin option is about as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
sera russell said:
I looked hard at a Schilling scroll at Nat'ls in Oct 07.Jana Schilling's work is highly prized and her engravings are going up in price FAST.

Saw one on PSA's site for $22k and a Schilling "Game Scene" for $26k.

I have learned that she does some of the Bavaria Suhl grades and some of the Bavaria Royale grades.

For me the plain original "Schilling scroll" is the ultimate.
When I was talking with Dieter at the World skeet shoot, he said something I found interesting. Jana is something like 34 or 35 right now and he said she was the youngest to achieve the title of "master engraver" among the Germans. I like her work.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Mike , John at PSA told me the same thing and judging from the price increases on her work, I doubt I will ever be able to justify spending that kind of $$$ just for the beautification factor.

To sleep , perchance to dream...... :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
101VooDoo said:
Gold Target's my favorite, although I don't think (short of hitting the lottery) I'd ever spend the money on anything fancier than a standard model.

Nice looking picture. How much does a 'Gold Target' O/U go for?

I know it's not a hardware-store gun but am wondering just how high the top is?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Krieghoffs are all hand engraved, except for the Parcours. They are machine cut initially, then hand chased (that way, Krieghoff can say they are hand done). The catalog so states and I also have it on the good aurthority of Pam Young at DuPont's - they should know.
For example, look at several standard grades on a given web site. There are subtle differences in the size, shading, etc. of the scroll work. No machine is that good.
When you get above the Uplander / Plantation grades you'll begin to encounter "Name" engravers like Badallini (R.I.P.) Nonn, Reich, Stoegner, Schilling, etc. Look for the signatures by the trigger guard. The lower grades are done by "house" engravers and are unsigned.
BTW, I have a Bavaria Royale (done by Maybach). It has birds on one side and a dog flushing a bird on the other. I've seen other BRs with birds on both sides. Point being that this variation in figures is another indication of hand engraving, not machine work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.