Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Can anyone tell me if they have a KX-5 or know anyone that has one? and what thay like or dis like about it thinking of getting on in about two weeks???

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Rocco's
the kx-5 is a superior single barrel trap gun indeed. i shot one a friend has, and it is the best feeling, swinging, lightest kicking single i have ever shot, and i have shot most of them. i have the '80 combo, 'cause i am hooked on doubles, but the kx-5 is an outstanding arm and worth every penny. the girl that owns the '5 i shot had an 1100 classic trap and she sold it because it kicked the taste out of her mouth! it fit her pretty well. i shot that 1100 with my wimpy reloads and it kicked the fire out of me, and 1100's fit me pretty well. oddly enough, the '5 kicks less than the 1100 with the same ammo, a real testament to the folks at krieghoff. call larry woo at 1-800-shotgun, and he will make you a heck of a deal, if he can get his hands on one. his prices are so good, it may be worth the wait if he can't find one this time of year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd take a long, hard look around in the world of singles and shoot as many as you can. They're an odd gun, to be sure and probably not well suited to much else. Sure, they'll shoot any single game but I still suggest looking around.

I respect the 'shotgun experts' here, and he's speaking from personal experience, not rumor or what he's heard. HOWEVER, they'd also be the first person to tell you that if you just can't make a gun work with your body that you need to either keep shopping or count on some smithing and fitting.

I don't know if Krieghoff is made-to-fit at that price or not. I think you can get into a fitted Kolar at that rate, if you're OK with no engraving.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
javen
the '5 will come with an adj. comb for about $4k. country gentleman will fit an adj buttplate reasonably. if you can get me a kolar for $4k, i might buy it to resell! there are several used '5's for sale on the web. they seem very reasonable for what you get. the kolar seems to be a good gun also. you are right about the '5 being a specialized gun. it is worthless for anything but singles and handicap trap, but most any trap gun shoots high and does not work for any other game.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I see that Kolars -start- reasonably, but once you put engraving on it the price doubles. Custom stock, double it again.

I've always been poor and skeptical. LOL. I've handled and shot some of the better names (Kolar, Krieghoff, Perazzi, a few nice English sxs) and honestly they were all nice... but to say they were worth the price asked was really debatable. Of course, everyone falls in love with a particular gun and if K's your fav by all means partake.

I've found Sporting Clays guns to be reasonable trap guns when properly fitted to the shooter. Fit the gun where the rib is a very shallow trapazoid and you're in like flynn. Then you can still adjust it down for other games and even field use.

I also like a double in trap because they cool better than some of the dedicated trap singles out there. Excellent for small-squad trap. That top bbl becomes a heatsink and blowing it out gently every 5th round when you rotate does miracles for heat distortion (a real problem here in TX).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
javven
you have some good points about guns for trap. my k-80 with the separated barrels gets hotter then the devil when i shoot a short squad of doubles in the summer. i got tired of getting burned and now wear gloves year round. tennessee gets pretty hot too. the unsingle does not seem to get as hot as the o/u barrels, even when i shoot a quick round by myself. could not tell you why. the sporter with the comb raised makes a good all around gun. most people in my parts have the comb and buttplate adjustable. even my sporter is so equipped, but it does not seem to slow me down when shooting low gun. it is, as you know, getting used to your gun! over the years i have had such great results with the krieghoff's anvil like reliability and their wonderful service, i tend to recommend them over anything. i like their feature that allows you to lock the safety and selector, eliminating the lost bird due to stupid. i know if i put a shell in the bottom barrel, and wang her shut, she is going to go bang! i have shot the bottom barrel first for so many decades, you could not pay me to swap.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Is the K-5 the new one or is it I think the K-3?? I know a guy who has one of the first single digit guns. He loves it! I should have bought it when I had the chance? I wasn't sure I wanted to get this involved in trap. Spend $3500 on a single barrel shotgun?? You've got to be kidding me? Too soon old, too late smart!!

BP

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
burnt powder
the ks-5 was recently dicontinued for the new kid on the block, the kx-5. both are wonderful guns, and the ks-5 can be found at good prices. there are beginning to be a few used kx-5's on the market.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
John;

I bet that is what I was thinking of, the KS vs the KX, not a K3 or the like. My mind, what a terrible thing to loose, I miss it so! I think?

BP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.