Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New member and first post. I am a second season skeet shooter that is looking to buy my first O/U 12ga. My budget for the purchase is $700. After MUCH reading and research, I've narrowed my candidates to the Lanber 2097 and the CZ Redhead. I've read much more good than bad about both. At my level (I average around 19/25 with a downright nasty Mossberg semi) am I really going to be able to tell the difference between the two? As far as fit, I'm 6'1", 175, with long arms and neck. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. --Chad

·
Registered
339 Posts
Chad, I think you would like the Lanber. It was designed in the UK as a sporting gun. I was a gunsmith and machinest for 40 years, now retired. I own a Lanber 2097 along with many other guns I have goten over those 40 years and can tell you that it is well built. I have also been into the Turkish guns and don't find the workmanship as good. Most people don't know this but Spain makes some of the finest steel in the world. More Lanbers are sold in the UK then any other because they are a good value and hold up for 1000,s of rds. Just my thoughts !!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally, I'd say handle both and pick which ever one fits and hadles the best. I don't think you'll go wrong.

I just got a CZ Woodcock Deluxe in 20 gauge and I'm pretty pleased. I've only put a few boxes through it, but fit and finish are excellent and it's got very nice wood. Swings well, soft on the shoulder, very good trigger. I was considering Lanber also, I just got to handle this one first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses so far. While I certainly wish I could get my hands on either gun to feel/try, there are no dealers in my area that stock Lanber or CZ. This will most likely be a sight unseen purchase from either CDNN or Tex-Pro. While this is a little scary, I simply don't see an alternative. My plan is to have the gun (probably the Lanber) sent to Graco to have a Decelerator pad installed and possibly a pad adjuster so I can have the gun fit to me when it arrives. Any further advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
mdman26- make sure you shoot a few boxes before you send it on for modification. You may find that it's good to go right out of the box. Mine fit me right out of the box.

I've had great success with my Lanber 2097 (purchased with ease from CDNN). I'm confident you'll enjoy this gun. I've got a couple of friends that purchased one after shooting mine and we are all happy with our purchase.

Just with they made a 20 gauge.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I believe CDNN has a 3-day inspection policy whereby a buyer can check out a given gun for purchase consideration. If the gun comes up short of the potential buyer's expectation the gun gets shipped back. The potential buyer is out shipping fees, though.
I have bought two O/U shotguns from CDNN. One gun was the Lanber 2097. I had wanted to purchase a 'value gun'. I chose the 2097 on the strength of what others here on this forum had to say about it. For me this was the one. I use it exclusively now as my skeet league gun. For it's overall look and appearance as well as being value priced at under $600 I would put the 2097 up against any other O/U in this price range. I'm certainly not sorry I bought it! ..
I have not seen, much less handled a CZ but others here on the forum have had good things to say about that gun too. .. ... Coin toss . ? . . :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.