Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the world of shotguns. I picked up a Lanber Armas model 101 o/u shotgun at a gunshow recently. It's certainly a bit old, but I liked its character and the price was right.

The only problem is, it didn't come with an owner's manual. I have no idea how to select which barrel to fire with it's single trigger.

Does anyone have any information about the lanber armas model 101 that they can share with me?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've managed to figure out some thing about it.

It has a single selective trigger, and the top barrel is full choke, the bottom modified.

Any opinions on it's value or worthiness?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My guess (and that's what it is) is that it was made in the 70's, and someone with a 19th or 20th edition of the Blue Book can probably tell you more about the value.
Also, please excuse my earlier rudeness in not welcoming you to Shotgun
World.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. And the welcome.

I've found a number of reviews of lanber and spanish shotguns. I'm a bit concerned about this gun now.

In one review of spanish shotguns the author indicates that spanish SST's might have some issues: http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_types.htm

Some double guns also have single selective triggers (SST), which the user can set to fire either barrel first, and which then automatically resets to fire the second barrel. This is a complicated type of trigger. Not all makers of best guns offer a SST, and some of those that do probably shouldn't. Many are prone to "doubling" (firing both barrels at once) or "balking" (not firing the second barrel when the trigger is pulled). Most British and Spanish SST's have a bad reputation, and the famous American Parker shotgun's SST was prone to get out of adjustment. I have found the Browning, Charles Daly, SKB, and Winchester SST's very reliable. The single trigger used in the old (and new) A. H. Fox guns also had a good reputation.
So, I'm a little worried about the trigger mechanism.

Also, there is this FAQ (last question) that has me a bit concerned as well: http://www.chuckhawks.com/guns_faq3.htm

Spanish shotguns

Q: What is your opinion of Spanish made SxS shotguns?

A: Virtually all Spanish made shotguns come from the Basque region of Northern Spain. They have a long and somewhat checkered history. For most of the 20th Century, the Spanish shotguns commonly seen in the U. S. were built of cheap materials to sell at the lowest possible price point.

On the other hand, since about 1980, some very high quality Spanish made shotguns have appeared in North America. These are sidelock doubles hand-crafted from the finest materials in very small shops--the fine guns produced by Pedro Arrizabalaga would be an example. Other contemporary Spanish gunmakers who are well thought of include Arrieta, Garbi, and Grulla. I have had the opportunity to examine all of these, and they are fine guns. In my opinion the guns of Pedro Arrizabalaga are the equal of fine guns made anywhere in the world.

In years past, AyA (Aguirre y Aranzabal), Sarasqueta, and Ugartchea shotguns were fairly will known in the U. S., but these manufacturers fell on hard times, and produced some pretty sad boxlock doubles. AyA has made a comeback, and is again well thought of, and high quality guns are again being made by Ignacio Ugartechea.
Should I be worried? I got a good price, so i don't expect the best, but I just don't want it to blow up in my face or anything once I take it to the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.