Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner skeeter who just bought a Lanber semi-auto as my first shotgun.

I'm curious to know the opinions of any other Lanber owners out there on how to care for this gun. Is it better to fire it dry or wet?

I shot it for the 1st time yesterday with STS Light Target load and I was having a few issues with weak or no shell ejection, and once the bolt was not sent back far enough after a fire and the action got stuck. I lubed up the receiver with Break Free after the first round and the ejection problem seemed to clear up. Guess it liked it better wet. Is this standard behavior for a gun that hasn't been broken in yet?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, I'm not a Lanber owner, but the following applies to just about any new gun.

There is a difference between "wet" and "brand new, never broken down and cleaned/lubed."

No gun that I'm aware of should be shot "wet". If it's truly wet it will attract all sorts of dirt and crud, and potentially cause more problems than not enough lube/oil.

New guns should be field stripped and cleaned thoroughly before their initial use. It's amazing the poor condition many guns are shipped in.

Your best bet is to take the gun apart as far as the manufacturer recommends, clean thoroughly, put a very light coating of oil/CLP on everything, wipe off the excess, and put it back together. I also put the tiniest amount of lube (I use Tetra) on high wear areas.

In addition, most semi-autos do prefer heavier loads when new. As the gun breaks in you'll be able to use lighter loads, but when they're new and stiff they need all the help they can get to eject properly.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new gun (and sport!) Good luck with it!

-- Sam

G

·
Thanks, Sam.

I actually had field stripped and cleaned it the way you suggested just before firing it for the first time. The poor ejection that it exibited at first was probably due to the light loads like you said. I have been advised to use Winchester Sporting Clay loads and I'll try that the next few times I shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anonymous said:
Thanks, Sam.

I actually had field stripped and cleaned it the way you suggested just before firing it for the first time. The poor ejection that it exibited at first was probably due to the light loads like you said. I have been advised to use Winchester Sporting Clay loads and I'll try that the next few times I shoot.
Ah, I must remember to log in before replying next time :roll:

G

·
I just bought one of the Lanber 12 ga semi-auto's from CDNN. I stripped it all the way down to the trigger housing to clean and lube it. (I use Militec-1 as a "dry lube", and a Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" on the rails and inside the bushing.) The action is like butter now.

I decided to take it to my local indoor range for testing before visiting the skeet range. It's a good thing that I did, too, because the Winchester "Super Speed" field loads repeatedly jammed in the breech and failed to extract. Three other types worked flawlessley, though: Winchester AA target loads, Winchester "Universal" loads (Wal-Mart value pak), and Fiocchi #9. The "Super Speed"s were the cheapest at $2.95 per box, and in this case, you get what you pay for. I don't know if the jamming was caused by cheap metal heads and/or the extra recoil of the heavy load. Either way, those shells are off the menu now. I think the Lanber was an exceptional find, though, because once I found the right load, I shot a 96 out of 100 at the skeet range.

The only "failure" was when I was laughing at a fellow shooter's joke and only loaded one shell for a double station! I discovered that the gun just won't shoot if it's unloaded!! I understand from my fellow shoothers, though, that if I'd had a much more expensive gun, the skeet would have been duly impressed and broken on its own! :D

-WR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shot 2 more rounds of skeet yesterday, and I scored my first 20! I might have even gotten a 22, but the Lanber was acting "flaky" again. Twice on doubles it refused to feed the 2nd round from the magazine. The skeet was duly umimpressed with my $250 gun and refused to break on its own. I re-took the missed house both times, and missed it both times ( and I blame this -of course- on my frustration at the gun failure) ;)

My shooting buddy insists that this is normal behavior for a new semi-auto and it will break in with time. We did find that it seems to help to push the shell deep into the mazagine with my finger instead of just past the clicking point. I'm using Winchester Super Sporting Clay rounds (1300 fps) now, and the ejection problem has not reocurred.

I have not taken out the trigger assembly or taken apart the magazine yet (these look a little tricky). Should I attempt to disassemble these and oil them too? Not sure what "dry lube" means or if I really need this. CLP Break Free is all I've been using on the inner parts.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Any other tips for my Lanber are welcome. It is a model 2532 or 2533 (not sure which).

Btw, I shot my first round of 5 stand yesterday as well, and hit a humble 9/25... still I'm told it was a tough presentation and I did hit a tricky 5/6 double :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts