Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided to get a lanber for some SC. ( still debating 2097 vs 2098 though) . Unfortunatly, CdNN won't ship to MA :cry: ( company policy and long story). i'm looking for the next cheapest source. Any ideas appreciated.

Also, for those of you with Lanbers, is there much difference in ballance between the 2097 and 98? 28" vs 30"? I've heard the 97's w 30 barrel ballance rioght at the hinge. ( Nice) I'm wondering about the shorter guns/ w no barrel spacer.

thanks,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't blame them really ( although there is no legal basis.) They must have had a bad experience w importing to teh state at one point. Mass passed one of the countries toughest gun laws back in 98'. It basicly puts all HANDGUNS under the atoury generals control as they are now "consumer items" requiring 'safety testing" . That means each company wanting to be on the approved list for MA sales, must submit 20 of each model ( in each barrel length, cal etc) for safety, drop, destructive testing. Then MAYBE you get on the list. Certain guns like 1911's, Ruger MK II's, and T'C's would never make it so are now like GOLD in state. To make matters worse, the laws keep changeing and are retroactive back to 98'. there was a time where my dealer didn't know what he could import so imported nothing at all untill teh next "update" was published. As you can guess, this has done nothing for crime or accidental deaths , just made it tougher on those of us paying our taxes. It will drop the # of handguns available int eh state in future years. ( Which is their ultimate gol I'm sure!) FWIW, I do plan on moving out of state with my guns and paycheck at some not all that distant date. :x

On the bright side I've found several 2098's for $1000 +/- 10( and 97's for $590.). It's better but still $100 more than CDNN was getting.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried to get a Lanber repaired? They seem like a good deal, but I'm leery of things I might not be able to get parts or service for.

-- Sam

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here in England, Lanber is distributed by www.gmk.co.uk
Over here Lanbers are mainly used by new shooters,as they are realatively a modest price for a new gun.
Personally I would advise you to buy a used Browning or Beretta,either of these are a much better gun than the Lanber.
Yours,Mike.

·
Registered
354 Posts
old fart said:
Over here Lanbers are mainly used by new shooters,as they are realatively a modest price for a new gun.
Personally I would advise you to buy a used Browning or Beretta,either of these are a much better gun than the Lanber.
Yours,Mike.
Thanks, Mike. The same is true over here. I can currently get a Lanber 2097 (fairly high end model) for $US 549. The closest thing I can find in a "name" brand is the Beretta 686 Blackwing, which happens to be on sale right now at my local shop for $US 1,020 -- almost twice the price. Prices on used Berettas are nearly as much as new ones.

But you are right, "you get what you pay for". Now I just wish I could afford to pay more.

-- Sam

G

·
You have to remember that you will eventuly out grow your lanber and then have to buy something that will fit your needs and then you will be out of pocket even more. You should always buy something you will grow into. I just bought a Beretta 682x super trap for a good price and if you look you will find a good deal as well on something that will be a gun for you as you get better. Best luck

G

·
I did a lot of research on the Lanber's before purchasing the 2097. Bought from CDNN, it really exceeded my expectations. Points very well, fit and finish are excellent. Batchelders Master Gun Works in Grand Rapids, MI. is repair center. They told me very few repairs have been done. I had my local gunsmith lighten trigger and he commented that quality material was used and heat treated. Good as a Browning/Beretta? Probably slightly below those guns, but for $550., seems a heck of a gun. Also love the wide rib, similar to the 425 Brownings. IMHO, better gun than the Verona, Huglu, and pretty much anything under the 1K mark. My spt. clays scores have climbed, mostly due to great balance and sight plane of gun. I'm happy.
Shoot well, Jim

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey jimx200: Would have sent you an email, but see you're a "Guest".

How long have you had the Lanber? Does it have a steel or aluminum receiver?

Those things still catch my eye... Nice looking guns for the money. Sure do wish I could get my paws on one before committing money to CDNN... (That, and I'm getting very frustrated looking at the lack of features on $1K-$1500 guns...)

-- Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my Lanber 2097 last week. I took it out this past weekend and put several hundred rounds thru it. Perfect balance and it shot great.

Excellent fit, finish, and workmanship. And, SamL, the receiver is machined steel.

It's well worth the $569 I gave for it. I can shoot it for a year or so and during that time learn exactly what I want in my next gun. When I'm done with shooting the Lanber for sporting clays I can either pass it on to my son or keep it for field use.

For information, CDNN has a 3 day return policy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Geez, this stuff is never easy.

Given that I can't seem to get what I want even in the $1500 range of Brownings and Berettas, the Lanbers and Huglus are still contenders.

Thanks for the info,

-- Sam

·
Registered
329 Posts
The price of Lanbers in the US are a bargain compared to what the r.r.p. is in the UK.
The r.r.p. over here is £615 British Pounds assuming 1.6US Dollars to the Pound,would give a price of $984US Dollars!
This is a hell of a difference.
Yours,Mike. :?

G

·
Yes, the Lanber has a steel receiver. I too looked and shot the Huglu. At $850. I expect to see better bluing (I swear it looked like dull shoe polish) and that engraving...some sort of arabesque style that can also be found on a $40. sword at a gun show. Resale on them is poor. Visit a big gun store and find out, low demand for them equals a low price. Not saying they are bad guns in any way, they just don't have it together. Having Turkey give us the finger in the Iraq war did'nt help my opinion either. If you don't like the Lanber, my second choice is the Verona (made with excellent components).
Good shooting. Jim

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Huglus I'm looking at are $625 and $715. There's "duck" engraving on one, and the "SGr10" engraving on the other, so it's not as bad as that swirly arabesque, which I agree is somewhat "hugly", but am reminded that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Finally, that finish on the barrels is supposed to be a non-glare matte.

The real kick for me is Mark DeHaan and the way he stands behind his products. I'm leery of Lanber because I can find no source of parts or service in the US; Mr. DaHaan is all over servicing the Huglus.

But all that said, I'm still undecided. Besides, I just won my club's "Challenge" last night with my old semi auto. :)

-- Sam

G

·
Sam, here is the warranty center for Lanber in US: Batchelder Master Gunmakers, Grand Rapids, MI (616) 459-3636.
Lanber has been in the US for 50 years and Europe for 100, so they have quite a history.
With regards to matte finish, reminds me of the Rem. 870 Express, ugly, I'll take the rich blue of the Wingmaster. Besides, a good bluing lasts longer than the matte finish IMHO. I have heard good things about Mark with Huglu. To me if the gun fits and I shoot well with it, thats the one I want. Shoot well, Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, I've got a question about my Lanber. Like I mentioned, I bought a new Lanber 2097, and got it about a week ago.

I really like it. It fits me fine, and I can hit birds with it pretty good already. I'm concerned about durability. Will I be expecting too much from it if I put 400-500 rounds thru it every week? Do you think that might wear it out prematurely, or was it designed for that kind of shooting?

Thanks

G

·
I have a Lanber that will never need repair. It is very well made and the blueing is beautiful. I belive it is mod 822. It rarely leaves my gun cabinet and then only for use by someone wishing to have
as much pain shooting as is possible.
You might feel less pain if you place both barels against your sholder and pull the triger.

I dont have the heart to sell it to a beginer..................

·
Registered
354 Posts
Riggs said:
I have a Lanber that will never need repair. It is very well made and the blueing is beautiful. I belive it is mod 822. It rarely leaves my gun cabinet and then only for use by someone wishing to have
as much pain shooting as is possible.
You might feel less pain if you place both barels against your sholder and pull the triger.

I dont have the heart to sell it to a beginer..................
So I take it you give it a thumbs down? :)

What's so bad about it? The fit? Thin pad? Want to sell it real cheap? (Hey, if I can take it off your hands cheap maybe I can see what I can do with it.) I'm serious, if you want to get rid of it drop me a PM or an email and we can talk about it. I'll be away from email for the next few days, though.

-- Sam

G

·
Riggs, I've put almost 800 rounds of Double A thru my Lanber now. Very little recoil compared to my Remington 870. You might want get someone to observe you firing it to see if you aren't holding it correctly or it it doesn't fit you properly.

I'm 6'-3", about 245 lbs, and the 2097 fits me perfectly, and I notice very little recoil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.