Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

A friend of mine is encouraging me to invest in large capacity powder and shot reservoirs. These come with machined aluminum bases with a choice of plastic or glass tubes.

My question to him is why are these needed? I have many reasons why I am not interested in adding these to my machines but I aint very smart. Am I missing something here?

Anybody use these items? What advantages did you determine for the dollars spent? Would you do it again?

Thoughts and/or suggestions.

Tia,

leomat

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
I can not speak for the 366, but with my MEC and the large shot hopper, all 3 things (shot, powder and primers) need to be refilled at the same time. At this time I also empty my finished hull bin and refill the wad bin. So it was a convenience thing for me.

Steve

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I have loaded on a 366 and currently on a 9000. If you are loading 1 1/8 ounce, the volume of shot is real close to double thst of the powder. Use same size tube or bottle on both and shot will last about half as long. Use the tall bottle for shot and with a big primer feed and you end up like Steve says, everything lasts 200 rounds and you fill them all at once. I believe there are some aftermarket hoppers that hold a full bag of shot and I suspect that might be handy. I have the 200 piece primer feeder on my 9000 and have used the tall shot bottle, SOME. But (maybe just me) I and my back end up feeling a lot better after a session if I do stand up and move just a bit every 100 shells. Reaching up and pouring shot in is just what I need. On my 9000 with the small shot bottle and refilling it every 100 I regularly turn out 500 rounds in an hour or less. I don't need any faster than that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The main reason is to be able to hold an entire 25 lb bag of shot in the shot hopper.
I have large shot hoppers on all my 366 machines.
In order for the powder and shot hoppers to run out at about the same rate, a larger powder hopper is needed for all gauges except the .410.
If you don't want to pay the vendor for upsized hoppers, these also work well:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=92646&p=725327

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Steve Y said:
I can not speak for the 366, but with my MEC and the large shot hopper, all 3 things (shot, powder and primers) need to be refilled at the same time. At this time I also empty my finished hull bin and refill the wad bin. So it was a convenience thing for me.

Steve
Same here on a 9000. Big bottle of shot, small bottle of powder and 200 primers.

The large bottle is around 15# capacity.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I too have Jim Skeel's large shot and powder tubes on both my 366s. There is no way to do a cost-benefit analysis as all you accomplish is increasing the amount of time between refills thus decreasing the number of time you need to refill. The powder tubes hold a pound of powder and the shot tubes hold a bag of shot. And I definitely would do it again. Once I start reloading, I hate to stop. I just wish I could find a longer primer tube that held more primers. I have to stop more often to refill primers. I wonder if you could take the wheel out of the primer tray and attach some sort of vibrator to the tray that came on every few minutes to shake some more primers into the tube. You could probably go a couple of hundred rounds before refilling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have both of Skeel's tubes and think it was money well spent. The more you mess with filling shot or powder, the more chance of a spill.

Nebs said:
I too have Jim Skeel's large shot and powder tubes on both my 366s. There is no way to do a cost-benefit analysis as all you accomplish is increasing the amount of time between refills thus decreasing the number of time you need to refill. The powder tubes hold a pound of powder and the shot tubes hold a bag of shot. And I definitely would do it again. Once I start reloading, I hate to stop. I just wish I could find a longer primer tube that held more primers. I have to stop more often to refill primers. I wonder if you could take the wheel out of the primer tray and attach some sort of vibrator to the tray that came on every few minutes to shake some more primers into the tube. You could probably go a couple of hundred rounds before refilling.
I like what your thinking here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts