Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I finally found one of these gems and it is in nice shape. I wanted to take it out last night for a local shoot and managed 24/25. This should've been 25 as I easily hit everything. But at the same time I should've done worse.......after every shot the shells were being presented by the extractor as much as they should, but it took me having to pry each shell out as if they were stuck in the chamber. I know this is probably from the 1930s-40s if not older and am hoping its just a matter of needing heavy cleaning.

Prior to firing I inspected the bore and didn't see any gunk and the chamber didn't seem to have heavy deposits of carbon. I am hoping that this is a simple "scrub it real good" versus " you're going to need to use paper hulls" solution, but just thought I'd pick the local community's brain on the subject. This is also my first gun without an en ejector so maybe I'm just naive to the operation?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I belive the gun has ejector and perhaps they are just week. In the event that this is the case. Is this a simple fix?

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Weak ejector springs wouldn't cause the shells to stick in the chamber to the point of needing to be pried out. You probably should polish the chamber with fine/00 steel wool wrapped around a brass bristle brush, chucked in an electric drill and oiled thoroughly. It won't harm the gun and will smooth the chamber walls, remove any fine rust and/or accumulated crud.

·
Registered
24,585 Posts
What ammo were you using? Was it steel based? If so, that could be the cause of your issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Try different ammo! Oneounceload is probably right. Some steel based loads can be problematic, especially some of the cheaper promo shells.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was shooting the typical $5.50 box federal, I want to say "top gun" they were certainly steel based. I will polish the chamber and see how it does before moving to higher cost shells. The other thing I noticed is that the latch part of the barrel appears to contact the rim of the base of the shell. I will have to snap a picture, but wondering how it could possibly be bent

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
CottonTail89,

More than likely it's the cheap shells, use some quality shells next time and see what happens before you do any polishing. Steel shells stick in may different shotguns. I never use them in my good L.C. Smith double guns, whether they have extractors or ejectors.

Have fun with your L.C. Smith!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
583 Posts
I shoot nothing but steel hulls in my Smith Specialty grade trap circa 1919. I reload Remington promo hulls. I get up to 10 reloads before the crimps are too far gone.

I would guess I have right at a million green hulls down in the basement. I am only exaggerating a little bit....OK a lot, but I do have a lot of hulls.

I hold my hand slightly above the chamber as I break the gun open and the ejector pops out the hull. Has never failed to do so. I don't restrict the ejector that way.
Ejector works great, I really appreciate the fact that LC Smith built the gun without a safety.

A safety on a dedicated trap gun is as useless as ti*s on a boar hog.

I would give those chambers a polish as previously advised.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ricklin,

Rem shells are very high grade, I used the hulls myself when I reloaded. It's the cheap low grade steel type shells, I was referring to that cause problems. I never have any problems with new or reloaded Rem Greenies. I still have lots of Rem 12 gauge reloades that I use in my L.C. Smith guns, nice quick reloads with minimal recoil.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks Dave. I was a little worried, I respect your knowledge of these fine guns.

Remington must do a better job than some with steel hulls. I'm actually pretty impressed with the longevity I get from them.
Sticking with one brand and type of hull makes it pretty easy to keep up when I am shooting a lot of trap. No messing with my old MEC grabber, just pull that handle.
The grabber likely helps, it resizes when it punches out the primer.

I think the Remington STS are brass, their promo loads are def. steel, tho most are plated. I can use either STS or promo with no adjustments.
As long as they don't get wet. That can be a challenge here.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ricklin,

Actually all Remington shells are great stuff, the 12 gauge Greenies are my favorites for reloading and I still have some serious reloads that will probably last me the rest of my shooting life. Nice low pressure, soft shooting reloads, and very quick out of my L.C. Smith #5 and Pigeon guns. Both the 6's and the 7 1/2's destroy wild Pheasants.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts