Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^o^ Howdy, ^o^

I have a new Y and shot it for the first time today, gosh it really has some leg power that will put the whirl on ya {CR8. i was Just wondering if it would be a good thing to put inserts into the but of the gun to cut down on the recoil. If not, what the best and most affordable option.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the grind to fit Limbsaver pad my friend/Gunsmith charged me $60 that includes the pad + install. There are some other post in this forum about recoil pads, tou could do it yourself I just had mine done because I had not sent him any buisness lately. But alot of the skeet/clay shooters like having some extra weight on their guns usually they add it to the front of the gun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
On one of my Yguns, I added a grid to fit Pachmayer recoil pad. That took care of the felt recoil using 3" steel mag loads. It did not take care of Hevi Steel or Hevi Shot loads. My second Ygun, I put a Edwards recoil reducer in the buttstock. The reducer weighes one pound. The best I could tell, it did nothing to reduce recoil. Both of my Yguns are 12s. I have looked and felt of the Limbsaver pad, extra soft rubber. It will be what I end up putting on my 2nd Y gun. I agree with Pharmr, the Limbsaver is the way to go.
Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I posted directions on putting a Limbsaver 10702, but after seeing how it increased the LOP to about 14.75 I took mine in to a gunsmith to have it cut down to 14.25. Limbsaver says that the precision fit pads are not grind to fit, but the gunsmith said he could. He just had to shave it down in a few places because the 10702 is such a close fit to the Y's stock. It looks great and I think it shoots much better now too. I've been meaning to send Tank some pics to post, but I keep forgetting about it. I'll try to remember tonight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
10gaOkie,

I am finally getting caught up on all the bulletin board postings during the holidays, and I saw one from you concerning the installation of an Edwards in one of your stocks, with minimal results.

Sorry to hear it is, apparently, not working, and let us see what we can do about that!

First off, are you sure it is an Edwards? Your comment on the post about it weighing a pound leads me to believe that it MAY be a mercury unit, as they weigh about that much, while an Edwards weighs in at 7.5 ounces for the adjustable units and 9 ounces for the MAX.

If indeed it is an Edwards, is it new or an old unit?

A new Edwards needs some rounds for break-in (usually about 100 for trap/skeet loads, less for magnums). If it is an old unit (made BEFORE 1991) it may need lubricant inside, as the lubricant of choice back then evaporated with age.

Finally, if it is a new Edwards, and you are unhappy with it, let me know where you pruchased it and when...We have ALWAYS had a satisfication guarantee, and I will work with your retailler to get you a refund.

Feel free to reply to this posting so we can make the Edwards work for you!

Kevin Sheff
Edwards Recoil Reducer

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put the 10702 on last night. I don't know if there is a lot of variance with the Y stocks, but my Limbsaver is 4 mm short. It looks ridiculous. I'm sure it will work, but I'm considering putting the Y butt pad back on just so I don't get laughed off the range.

·
Registered
296 Posts
MercGYNO said:
I put the 10702 on last night. I don't know if there is a lot of variance with the Y stocks, but my Limbsaver is 4 mm short. It looks ridiculous. I'm sure it will work, but I'm considering putting the Y butt pad back on just so I don't get laughed off the range.
wow merc...that surprises me....mine fit like it was made for my gun...sorry it didn't work the same for you....you mean the top or bottom lines up and then its 4mm short on the other end???...and you're sure it's the 10702 for Beretta 5" stock???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, Yes and Yes.

Yeah...I was surprised as well. That just means there's some variation with our stocks...or I got a weird one. I could start over and make it an even 2 mm a side, or get a gunsmith to shorten the stock a little (the extra 3/4 inch from the Limbsaver could be sacrificed and probably make for a good fit). I might just put the old pad back on. I wasn't that impressed with much kick anyhow. Even with 1300 fps loads.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Benelli recoil reducer works very well. Thanks chef1 :!: The limb saver recoil pad is off about 2 mm on mine as well. The two combined makes this one sweet shooting shot gun now :D We shot three 90 count boxes of clays up this past weekend, and the shoulder feels like it never happened.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried the Pachmayr SC decelerator pad which gave me a few shades less on the bruising.
I am still considering having the forcing cones machined to help reduce a little more of the recoil.
The only thing I have found to help so far, was switching from 1350 FPS Sporting Clay loads, to slower 1200 FPS loads. The big draw back to slowing the load down for me, was the huge increase in target lead distances.

I couldn't find a gunsmith in my area who recommended recoil reducers in the stock of a 12 ga, or I may have gone that way also.

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
jason forrest said:
I tried the Pachmayr SC decelerator pad which gave me a few shades less on the bruising.
I am still considering having the forcing cones machined to help reduce a little more of the recoil.
The only thing I have found to help so far, was switching from 1350 FPS Sporting Clay loads, to slower 1200 FPS loads. The big draw back to slowing the load down for me, was the huge increase in target lead distances.

I couldn't find a gunsmith in my area who recommended recoil reducers in the stock of a 12 ga, or I may have gone that way also.
Other than a good recoil pad, the cheapest and probably the best way to cut down on felt recoil is to add weight to the stock bolt hole. Mercury recoil reducers work well, but I usually just fill shells with shot, crimp the shells, then put them in the bolt hole. Be sure to stuff paper or something in behind (toward the butt end) the shells so that they don't slide around in there.

Oh yeah, be sure to give those 1350 fps Sporting Clays shells to someone you don't like very well. :wink: I wouldn't shoot them in the 1 1/8 ounce loadings if they were free.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So Ulysses,

It isn't just me who doesn't get along with the 1350's then? To tell you the truth the 7/8 oz don't feel much better than the 1 1/8oz -1350's to me.

What contributes most to the recoil in 12 gauge ammo?
FPS, lead oz's, shot size, etc?

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
jason forrest said:
What contributes most to the recoil in 12 gauge ammo?
FPS, lead oz's, shot size, etc?
Shot size has nothing to do with the recoil. For the occasional 1 1/8 ounce loads which I use, I usually get the 1145 fps loads (2 3/4 dram eq).

For 1 ounce loads, I like the 1185 fps. I will admit that I bought some 1 ounce loads at 1290 fps, but that was only because I got such a good price on them.

Generally the lower the fps and the lower the weight of the shot, the less recoil you will feel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
didn't Mr Newton say for every action there is an Equal and opposite reaction (or something like that) so the faster you drive shot out of a barrel the faster the gun moves backwards
Mr Greener stated that a gun should weigh 96 times the shot weight to be shot comfortably so a gun that weighs 6Ib is really only meant to shoot 1oz loads and I would suggest these be a standard load not 1350fps screamers (these make me cringe in a 7 1/2Ib gun)
it does seem difficult here in Oz to find mild cartridges for some reason if they dont hurt ya they musn't hurt the target a nice 1oz load at 1145fps would break clays and kill game (with the right size shot) all day and not kick the crap out of the shooter
just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.