Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reloaded both types for dove hunting and clays. The only differance I can tell is Magnum shot cost more. It only takes 3 pellets to break a target, its a little different for doves. I've bumped up my dove load from 1220fps to 1255fps and pick up more dead birds over just wounded. I've read that chilled shot has about 4% antimony and Magnum has about 6% antimony. Any comments? I wonder what % antimony they put in the shot of those cheap promotional shells. Keith

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If the truth was known.....factory specs say "chilled" shot must have "up to 3%" antinony and tin. Magnum shot must have '" up to 6% antimony and tin".......as you see that gives them quit a spread. Lawrence shot seems right up on the top % of antimony and tin in each....chilled and Magnum.
The promo loads that everybody makes has either "drop" shot (no antimony and tin) or a very low level. The highest raw material cost in a shotshell is the shot. So.......one gets what they pay for.
The overall best shot is put in trap sells. It's a money game and shooters demand the best shot.
For many years my favorite dove load was the WW AA trap shell 3 dr-1 1/8 oz of #8 shot (1200 '/"). It always appeared that the quality of the shot in that trap shell meant more in put-down power than a hundred ft per sec velocity. I think it was the fact that the hard shot put more pellets in the bird do to better patterns??????????? Best Regards, James

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking those promotional shells would have little if no antimony, they don't even have a cup wad. I didn't pattern the reloaded shells, thats something I'll put on my to do list. I've read that harder shot with a good cup wad patterns better over softer shot. Forcing cones that are lengthen and barrels that are backbored helps too. I didn't see any higher scores shooting clays using magnum shot over chilled shot. Same for dove hunting, but I picked up more dead birds than wounded with a little hotter load. Keith

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
STS and AA factory loads have around 6% or better antimony in their shot. The promos are cosiderably less. As far as target breaking ability I don't know that they are realistically any different. The harder shot "does" pattern slightly better but it's not a miricle cure for a bad shooter. If you do your part the target will break regardless what type of load you're using.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
In skeet, nobody gets too excited about the chilled/magnum issue until you start talking the .410, and to some extent the 28ga. With the .410, because there's so little shot to begin with, and a higher percentage of the total load is exposed to damage at the outer edges of the shot column, ANY advantage must be considered. At the top levels of the game if a single golden #9 saws just just one target in half, it's worth the price 100 fold. I once shot an entire year (winter club events AND registered skeet) using dented and deformed reclaimed shot thru my 12 ga. lemon-hunert with remarkable results, holding the best average (99+), and running more 100's than I ever had to that time. It's quite possible that in that application the reclaimed shot was actually an advantage.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Panhandle Slim said:
I'll second that...never blamed a load for nothing.
-Slim
Slim, you're giving up a great many really good excuses- too light, too heavy, too fast, too slow, bad shot... I shoot at night so nobody is buying the "sun got in my eyes" anymore :wink:

Keith, the harder shot does pattern a bit tighter. If its less deformed it should be flying a tiny bit faster (the pellet is also a tiny bit lighter so maybe not) but I don't think there is a real difference in an individual pellet's ability to break a target.

BH

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Sun in your eyes excuse? It actually works at my range this time of year. From about 1030 in the morning to 1230 or so the sun is directly in line with the flight path of the high house on stations one and two. Makes it a pain in the butt to see/hit that damn thing. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have found that I have to pattern my SX2 with each type. It patterns VERY tight with magnum shot. It "pays" to check those patterns. For target shooting the chilled shot works really good in my X2 and A5. I use the magnumm for hunting.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Hmm?? Promo shells with drop shot?? That's not what I see written on the boxes from any of the big 3 ammo makers. They call it hard premium shot as I recall. I don't shoot them, I handload mine, but as I recall reading on the massive quantities of boxes laying in the trash at the range they are loading all those shells with hard shot too. They don't go into any detail about how much antimony, but even the high dollar boxes of shot stay away from that detail. Is it really just dead soft lead droped shot?? I wonder!

BP

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Premium hard shot is 6% or more antimony last time I checked. AA's and STS's both contain shot with at least 6% antimony. Promos usually have 3% or so give or take. I personally can't tell the difference and really don't care about the specific alloys of the metal coming out the end of my tubes. As long as an ounce is an ounce and it's going 1200fps the clay target doesn't care either. Nor does the pheasant.

Personally though I choose to adjust my patterns with my chokes and not choice of ammo. Since I handload all my own blammo I know I'm pretty consistent and have been quite satisfied with my own loads. I know what chokes I should use at what games.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
I'm going to bump this one back to the top. I'm seeing a much higher availability of chilled vs magnum shot and I'm thinking of switching based on cost too.

I primarily shoot 16yd trap through a BT-99 with a IM choke. From what you guys are saying, I should really see no drop off in performance, right?

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Just to put a small bug in your ear and a thought in your mind. The difference in cost of the shot is about $1 a bag in most cases. Is it really worth a single dollar to use shot that MIGHT cost you a target once in a while? Remember---many matches are won and lost by that single target.

The highest antimony shot I have found is available from Grafs in Mexico,Mo. it is a house brand that is (gulp) "made in france" and has 8% antimony.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you believe in golden BB's-

"Magnum" or hight antimonty shot is less dense. You load a few more pellets (possibility golden ones) with the magnum shot.

This assumes that you use a universal charge bar and weigh the shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.