Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hunting pheasants for over 20 years using nothing but Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5. For the first 16-17 years did great, then started missing or getting more cripples. Blamed it on new shot gun, old age etc. Have a couple battery powered pigeon throwers so practice more than ever, smoked the clay birds but come hunting season and back to missing. This summer the light came on. Out of habit, I would just buy the yellow box labeled #5. Getting ready for this season, taking inventory of my ammo, for the first time I noticed 1485 fps instead of my old 1250. Found one dealer that had some 1250, bought and went to the pattern board. Shot several patterns to get a good average. At 40 yards, the 1485, 50% had a hole big enough for a Pheasant to squeeze through or at least less then deadly. The 1250? All but one, a partridge could not have escaped. Moral of the story? Like so many of you have hammered away, pattern, pattern, pattern. Live and learn.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
And THAT is exactly why I reload my own shells. Find a load that you like, and patterns well, and you can repeat it forever!

Consistency pays!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont what to sound condescending and like I know everything,because to be honest I went threw the same thing .Isn`t funny how that works

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You observed first hand how increased speed does not equate to increased performance in shotgun shells. It just results in blown patterns. I always shoot the slowest loads I can find with quality shot. Never anything over 1250 fps and I like to stay around 1165.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I've been hunting pheasants since the early '60's. Somehow I managed to kill them dead for about 50 years with those old fashioned shells with a velocity of about 1200fps. I do not understand this fascination with high velocity. They kick harder, pattern worse and cost more. Go figure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sneem said:
I've been hunting pheasants since the early '60's. Somehow I managed to kill them dead for about 50 years with those old fashioned shells with a velocity of about 1200fps. I do not understand this fascination with high velocity. They kick harder, pattern worse and cost more. Go figure.
ammo companies latest marketing gimmick :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
SXS ADAM said:
sneem said:
ammo companies latest marketing gimmick :D
As someone once said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of an American."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts