1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started trap shooting with a model 37 12 gauge winchester single shot FC
Next shotgun was a stoeger 12 gauge competition
present shotgun is a browning citori model 725 12 gauge

Change in shotguns didn't improve my clay shooting.
Bought a special camera for end of my shotgunsl to see where shot was going. This didn't help

Technique in shooting: Be sure shotgun fits, keep cheek on stock and do not aim the sights at the clay. My eyes follow the clay and the barrel shoots where my eyes are looking as long as i stay in line with the sights on the shotgun.

It is my opinion that my originial shotgun, which I still have, model 37 winchester will hit as many clays as my browning citori.

·
Registered
24,354 Posts
Sounds like each gun fits differently

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I started trap shooting with a model 37 12 gauge winchester single shot FC
So did Arnold Reigger but..he was Arnold Reigger.

My first Trap gun was a kicking 101....last a Perazzi TM-1.
Shotgun can matter but particulars are important and..some...scatterguns simply help us advance more quickly...all else equal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It doesn’t sound like it’s the gun. Take a look at this video. It may be old but it’s full of lots of good information

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shoot a nice Beretta 686 12 gauge but often find myself at a particular club shooting their rental Rem 870. My scores are the same, sometimes better with the 870 pump...

Having a nicer gun takes care of potential gun issues and your 725 is a nice gun! When and where you point the gun and pull the trigger - that's all you.

Find a good instructor who you can work with. There is a huge mental aspect to shotgun sports. Watching the kids who compete at another club, their pre-shot routines are absolutely 100% solid. I'm still working on mine...

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's not the gun, it's the shooter. You need to take a lesson.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
A new shotgun will improve your shooting if it is better suited for the game you are shooting/playing or if it fits you and handles better than your other shotguns. What a new shotgun won't do is point itself where it needs to be pointed to break the target. That is your job alone. It sounds like that is what you need to be working on.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
If you are just starting out, it's not the gun. A good shooter can use just about any shotgun and hit the targets. Some people start out with natural skills, others have to develop the skills, lessons help. Make sure you know which is your dominate eye and get a gun fitted to your body/eyes early on can also prevent you from developing bad habits. So does knowing some "hints" at being ready for your shots. Learn where to position your gun/eyes over the house for each of the 5 stations. Watch the flight of the birds for the other shooters and determine if you can "guess" at the expected flight for your bird. And then do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. Ditto for shooting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is my opinion that my originial shotgun, which I still have, model 37 winchester will hit as many clays as my browning citori.
but which shotgun do you enjoy shooting the most?

i shoot best with my mossberg 930, but i enjoy my tt-15 the most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts