Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting into reloading and since i have no job and no money(teenager) the Lee Load All cuaght my eye on the cabelas website. I am kinda confused though, with it costing less than $50 will it do the entire reloading process?(punch out spent primer, put in live primer, put in proper powder, wad, and shot, and crimp shut) I am looking to reload 2 3/4" for trap in decent amounts(100 shells a week) will this reloader work for me and how long will it work? Are they hit and miss? Should i just forget this reloader and save up the extra money for the MEC Jr. 600 Mark 5 or will this one work just fine?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It will work, not as easily as a 600 Jr. just make sure you budget for a scale no matter which loader you select. Look about for a used 600 Jr. for about the same price of a new Load All.

TM

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both the Mec jr., and the lee load all. The mec is a lot heavier duty, but the load all works just fine. It has a warrany and if it ever breaks you can send the broken one in and get a new one for half the going price. The advantage I like with the lee is you get lots of charge and shot drop choices on the mec it comes with 3 and additionals cost more. For that little amount of reloading either one will do you fine, if I could find a used mec for $50 or $60 I would get it hands down, but if not the lee will work. I can get over 60 rounds an hour with the lee, not the fastest, but it works.

Rod

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thanks, where could I find a used MEC? Just to look at them I don't need to rush out and buy one right away, i need to get a job firstm i have too much other stuff i want to get this summer(a bow, and adjustable Comb installed onto my citori, those along with ammo and paying for trap shoots are plenty to handle for a minimun wage job) Tracyhunter im in PA, not sure why it matters

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks but no thanks. No offense to you but I wouldn't feel right to give away information(street adress) of my parents house for something to be shipped to my house that is supposedly free. I don't know you, obviously, but those sorts of things are how shady stuff happens to people, if I were older I'd do it but not now, sorry

·
Registered
44 Posts
browning 16: That last comment demonstrates more common sense than the average college student (about 200 per year) that I teach.
I would talk to your mom and dad about that offer though. It could be sent care of General Deliver to one of them at the Post Office. Or, a quick phone call to establish legitimacy might work also. I think we're all just trying to help out a new reloader (you) here; more than one of us has a Lee Loadall Sitting around that we would like to see put to good use for somebody - especially if we don't have to look at it anymore!
As far as used loaders - check Craigslist; just search for 'Mec'. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
works great for the beginner. Read the directions carefully. Be patient with it, as it will produce very nice loads. I use it to crimp my tung/iron loads and ITX loads. I hand weigh everything, so I don't use powder or shot bushings. Crimps come out very well using new hulls.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Up to you but I'd seriously consider the MEC. If you are part of a club let the members know that you are looking for a loader.

·
Registered
200 Posts
browning... ya gotta keep in mind that this forum has a large population of Mec snobs who feel that if it isn't covered in red powder coat it isn't worth owning. With a Lee you can learn to load shells instead of learn to jerk around with machinery

I started with a Lee Load-All while I was in the service because it was light and flat and easy to pack when I was reassigned. I still own it (and a couple others) and they all work fine.

They are slow and you can't adjust them to change the characteristics of the shells they produce. The fact that you can't fiddle with them means you're not likely to screw them up experimenting like quite a few posters here seem to do with their Mecs. They're built to produce good shells without the need to tinker.

They like Remington hulls better than AA hulls but then so do I.

They produce a consistently good shell and some of the best crimps you will find anywhere if you are consistent in the way you operate them (same as other presses). But they are not for people who want to drift into never-never land while they load. If you keep your mind on what you're doing and pay attention to the process like you should anyway, you get great results.

If the Lee is what you can afford and like there's no reason you can produce good loads with one. Later you can go any other direction you want to try!

Mike Gêst

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there anything between the MEC and the Lee Load All price wise? Something that will last a little longer and maybe be a little faster than the Lee but not as expensive as the Mec?

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
No, not that I've seen..... (and I have looked!)

The MEC costs more, but is well worth it, and I am NOT a MEC snob! I owned both, and am just speaking from experience.

·
Registered
934 Posts
three feathers said:
tracyhunter,
That is a very gracious offer you made to browning 16. Lots of good people here, too bad that people are so mistrustful. Signs of the time, I guess.
I agree-
I simply said I'd sure like to have- and 2 fellas sent me 400 once fired AACF hulls and 500 AAF1 wads-

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
More Load Alls replaced by Mecs than Mecs replaced by Load Alls.
Tried a Load All for my 20 ga. loads, got some fine loads but way too many buckled hulls.
Load All success may depend on the luck of the draw or specific recipes.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
In the world of reloaders there are the LLA, Mec's of various configurations, Pacific-Hornady (I think the 266 is the single stage version), RCBS Grand and the Mini-Grand, Ponsness Warren, Dillon, and Spolar. I think the MECS are generally about the cheapest of the lot with the exception of the LLA.

For single stage loaders you are limited to LLA, Mec 600 jr., the MEC sizemaster, Hornady 266, RCBS mini-grand, and the Ponsness Warren 375 C. I believe that the LLA and 600 jr's are the bottom of the price scale, and the PW 375 is the top of the price scale, with the mini-grand somewhere close to 600 jr. prices. I don't think the Hornady 266 is currently being manufactured.

There are lots of older presses out there no longer manufactured. I'd avoid those as parts availability and know how is limited.

I load on a Ponsness progressive loader personally and prefer it to the mecs - but in your situation I'd look for the 600 jr.

john

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.