Shotgun Forum banner

Lee Load all

7K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  dedcow 
G
#1 ·
Any one else here use a Lee load all for shotshell ?, Am wondering what powder meters through it the best.

#4 ·
I think anytime you have them flat disc shaped powders, it's going to leak out a little. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. A more spherical powder should remain in the bushings and not slide out the charge bar. I'm getting me a MEC right quick though. I got the Load all because the guy at the local gun store gave it to me.

Hasta

Paulo

G
#6 ·
I did put a light coat of oil on the moving plastic parts, helped alot,
almost scared to do anything with the bushing. Seems like it would lower it, and get worse. Or maybe thats the problem ?, its to high....dont know, I did check my time, loads 3 shells a minute.

#7 ·
Bullets, I loaded a few boxes today on a Lee Load All II for the first time. We have a Lee Load All II for each gauge, 20, 16, and 12, and one of the main reasons we chose the Lee Load All was because they are so inexpensive. I use a Lee press and dies for my rifle and pistol shells and am pretty satisfied with Lee products. I was wondering if you might be able to share with me your technique for loading 3 shells / minute. It took me ~20 minutes per box of 25. I spent a lot of time fiddling with the primer feed, as often times the primers wouldn't feed down the little tube and would jam in place. Other than that, and making a few mistakes with crimping, it turned out some beautiful shells. Thanks so much in advance, and please reply to rfdillon@hal-pc.org. Thanks so much!

G
#8 ·
For one thing, I didnt resize, I only do that about every 4 or 5 times on a shell, I took some sand paper and smoothed down the primer ramp, and oiled the moving parts on the machine,thats about it.All my stuff is within 8 inches of the machine, dont even have to look, you just know where stuff is, grab it and go. I use one hand to grab something I need while the other pulls the lever, either primers being tapped down or getting a wad etc. and use both left and right hands for pulling lever depending what stage its at and what i need..usually I take my time though so I can check everything and do 2 a minute. I just wanted to see how fast it would go. I also have the bullet press by Lee..good stuff.

G
#9 ·
I just purchased a Lee Load-all 12 ga too! I use the anniversary edition to load pistol So I figured why not stick with Lee. Had some fat finger problems but it settled in nicly except fot the "auto" Primer loader, Solved that tho drilled a small hole at the exit point sanded it and bent a small brad 1/4 in stick it in the hole that stops the primers from tumbling.
For 43 bucks cant beat it. I can do 3 shells a minute too! built a wood tray (Used to be a silverware holder). stand it on a angle on my left, my wads are on my right with a shell stacker on the right (best $7 i spent so far) shot 3 boxes today no bad shots at all. First time out had about 5 bad shells.
Missed a few but I cant blame the shells.

#10 ·
Load All is a good starter set. Takes alittle longer, but I control ALL steps better. I use ALLIANT GREEN DOT for 12 and 20 ga loads. Don't have any problems with powder feed. Mostly reloading for practice on skeet / clays. Have used same reloads for quail / dove with good results.

#12 ·
I own a Lee Load All and it sprung after 6 months of use and it appears to be a common problem,the primer feed is more trouble than it's worth.The Load All is the weak link in the Lee product line their center fire metallic presses and dies are great! The Load All is not durable. I now own MEC juniors for all of my shotshell reloading,the best bang for the buck in a simple loader.

#13 ·
I have a Loadall in 20 ga that I'd be happy to sell to someone reasonably. I've also had LEE dies and metalic presses. Basicly, you get what you pay for! I still use a very select few LEE products, the LOADALL isn't one of them! Any takers??

BP

#14 ·
I ahve a Lee Laod All in 20 ga & just started loading with it...
Wish you could move the starter crimp die up front for the STS hulls... Also wish there was a center for the 20 ga as there is on the final crimp stage... I learned quickly that you need to have the hull's fold in front on the starter crimper.... Other than all that it make a great crimp as long as you don't get in a hurry... I also don't put a lot of force on the lever, I just feel it out...

#15 ·
about thirty-five years ago, i had an h&r topper, and a 12 ga. load all. i loaded 16 gr red dot with 1 oz shot in the old AA hull. i loaded about 8 boxes a month. i was as poor as a churchmouse, and scuffled to feed the gun. i had a hand trap, and the press and the gun were 100%. now i have mec 9000's, krieghoffs, and wonder what happened? i had fun with that rig. then i got an old ithaca dbl. and the h&r never did seem to measure up.

#16 ·
I use a Lee Load All as well and have had it for two and a half years, probably 6-7K rounds through it (12 ga). I found that it buckled the walls of the newer Winchester AA hulls. Does any one else have the problem? I stick to Rem STS hulls now.

I thought the primer feed was cheap. I had a primer stick half way in the seat and when I pressed down either the brass head of the hull or the sizer hit the primer and it went off and scared the day-lights out of me. I hand feed one primer at a time now. Otherwise a good press for the money

#17 ·
When I first started reloading, got a lee. Borrowed a powder scale, and the bushings threw "very safe" loads. Found I could go up at least 1 if not 2 bushings to get the powder charge of the recipie. SO if you dont have a scale- think about getting one. They work longer than either of us will. I about wore out the lee, moved on to other loaders. But a good enough loader for the money. 8)

#18 ·
I have one I picked up new at a yard sale. Hey! it worked and loaded an acceptable shell. It now resides on my work room floor alongside a MEC or two. If you want it and will come after the thing--it's yours for free.

G
#19 ·
I've been using a new Lee Loadall II for about one month now.
I've reloaded over twenty boxes (25 shells each) with few problems. All of my reloaded shells are very tight, solid and look great. I've ordered probably 10,000 or more empty Remington hulls through the internet for reloading, so that should keep me busy for a long time. As far as speed is concerned, I can load a box of 12 gauge shells (25 shells) in less than 15 minutes, and I'm sure I could take a minute or two off of that figure if I really tried. I use GreenDot powder, which does tend to leak a little, Remington STS209 primers, Remington 8 shot and Remington TGT12S wads. I also load some Winchester AA shells, but I use Winchester AA wads for them. So far, the little Lee Loadall is holding-up okay, but I can see that it will probably only last me a year or two at the rate I'm loading.

#20 ·
Bmaintz; Just curious, you said that you live in Ocean Springs, you wouldn't happen to know a Harold Jordan by any chance? He's my wife's uncle, He's lived there for many, many years, Harold an his wife Jullette ( she's dead now ) used to work at Kessler AFB. They have 2 children, both grown an gone from home. Harold loves to hunt an fish. Thought you might know them?

#22 ·
I've been using my Load-All since July and loaded 1000+ rounds with Green Dot and new-style AA hulls. Not much powder leakage though a few flakes do tend to migrate around a bit thopugh MEC users report the same thing so not a big deal to me. I've not had the problems with AA hulls buckling and have gotten nice crimps on Fed hulls without tinkering with the set-up at all. Consistency of powder drop is reasonable and within a 1/2 grain (I now have a more solid surface to mount the press on and hope to improve the consistency even more). Patterns on my reloads are far superior to any of the promo loads I used to shoot.

All in all I am happy with my Load All. It was an inexpensive way for me to get into reloading and let me focus on the reloading process rather than the loader. I think this kind of simplicity is something that a lot of newbies find attractive even if more experienced reloaders find it beneath their dignity. My Load All is definitely not a high volume shell loader but I accept that limitation and even if it only lasts a couple years I'll still have gotten a lot of value for the small amount I spent.

Safe shooting.

#23 ·
edsel: yes I have the exact same problem although I dont think it harms the shells since I have relaoded the same shells over 4 times now with no ill affects. And you know what? I also reload the STSs as well and I think it does the same thing it just doesnt show up like the it does on the AAs. On the AAs its a bright white stripe around the shell bottom just above the brass and on the STSs if you feel in the same place youll feel its there you just wont see it. I have been loading really hot dove and crow loads through my load all using longshot powder averging 1550-1580 fps and my shells have really held up! im inpressed with the load all and the only gripe is the auto primer feed but its not that bad just have to give it a shake every once in a while to feed the primers. the machine is deffinatley worth more that you pay for them.

#24 ·
I too have a Lee Load-All. I used it for a while for loading 20 ga shells. It loaded shells, sort of. If you are indeed impressed with the Load-All, so be it. You will be just flabbergasted at what a 600 Jr or an old 155 can do in comparison! Well there really is no comparison. A rose by any other name is still a rose!
Wait till you actually get to run a g-9000 or 366 auto. You will wonder just what it was you were thinking about when you used the Load-All. In a word, JUNK! Double your money and get a real shotgun shell loader, at least you can sell a 600 Jr for over 1/2 of what you gave for it and still not have to put up with the Load-All. You will still be money ahead to get a used 600 Jr or 155 Pacific/Hornady.

BP

#25 ·
i just gave away my old load-all II, horrible little thing in my opinion. i loaded about 400 rounds with it years back and quit when my powder ran out. recently i got ahold of a 70's model Mec 600JR and im in love. i have never seen such beautiful reloads. btw.. i used Hercules Red Dot in the load-all and it did leak alot. i have only used Hodgdon Clays with the mec, but have never had a grain leak out.. besides the incident i had last night reloading while not feeling well.. put a hull in the priming station, pull handle down.. push the charge bar and drop the powder.. hmm.. what the fark am i doing? powder is hell to clean off rough plywood!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.