Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done any reloading, primarily because I don't see much cost savings (I've been buying shells by the case from Academy Sports). I certainly can't, at least at this point, invest several hundred dollars for a good set-up, but I'm somewhat interesting in trying some reloading, sort of like fletching my own arrows. I noticed the Lee Load-all in Cabelas for a price that I might be able to justify. Is this worth trying, or would I be better off forgeting it until (or if) I can afford something much better?

Thanks,

Don.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Don,

Like fletching arrows, it is time consuming and there are many outfits that will mass produce it for you for less than what it will cost you to do it.

The advantage to reloading as with fletching your own arrows is that you can make ammunition that is tailored to your specific requirements that is not available or is substantially more expensive to buy.

When you need to replace a feather or vane you can easily do it yourself, same with loading a box of shotshells to replenish your stock.

I have used the Load-All II's and they will work, but lack many of the features found on more expensive presses.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Your soul doesn't seem to be afire with desire to get into reloading to begin with, so if you'd really like to squelch what may be only a passing fancy get a Lee Load-All.

About a week with that little jewel will probably convince you any doubts you had were well founded.

You can get a good used MEC 600 Jr. Mk V on eBay for about the same price or only slightly more and if you decide reloading's not for you it at least won't be because you started out with a piece of junk.

But aside from the press, the reality is that reloading 12 and 20 gauge shells just isn't economical when you can buy very good new promo shells for around $3 a box.

The only way to load those gauges and save money is by buying in bulk, and that involves quite a few hundred dollars up front in 8 lb. jugs of powder and primers and wads by the case of 5,000. Depending on where you live, shot will cost upwards of $20 a bag, plus tax.

Buying powder a pound at a time, shot a bag at a time, 1,000 primers and a bag or two of wads will put the cost of your reloads well above the price of a case of Remington Game Loads at any Wal-Mart.

The big savings from reloading are in 28 gauge and .410 bore, which cost upwards of $7 a box new but can be reloaded for $2.50 a box or less.

But if you're willing to invest about $400 in a used single-stage MEC and components in bulk, you can reload 12 and 20 for less than the price of new ones -- about 50 to 75 cents a box less.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Good job Case!

I was just going to tell him not to waste his money on the Load-All. I did once. I keep it under my bench just as a reminder to me not to be a cheap-a** again! :cry:

BP

·
Registered
797 Posts
Case,
Savings depend a lot on where you live.From what I've read on this forum,you can't save a lot loading 12 gauge shells in the USA.In Western Canada though,it's totally different.Whereas I can load my 12 gauge ammo for about $3.42 a box,factory ammo of any sort cost significantly more.Being stuck on a island doesn't help the matter any but if you can get a box for $5.00 you're doing okay.Usually you pay more than that.There are huge savings to be had with the smaller gauge shells.Our club has to sell .410 ammo for about $12.00 a box to make even a small profit.
Back to the Lee Load All.My first loader was one of those and I loaded thousands of rounds with it.It works but I really wouldn't reccomend one either.You can do a lot better with a used MEC 600 as some of the other guys have mentioned.
Dave

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Here's another opinion:

I have no doubt that you can find a good, used, single stage loader like what Case suggested for the price of a new Load-All...if so, get all thought of the Load-All out of your mind. However, recognize the Load-All comes with quite an assortment of bushings that you'll more than likely have to purchase separately for another machine (and bars)...these can add up in a hurry.

The Load-All will fill a hull good enough to make them go bang. I have one that introduced me to loading about 30 years ago, and I learned a lot with it. That said, it won't stand up to "heavy" use if you find that you enjoy loading and get into it; you'll want a better machine...pronto.

Consider buying a scale, also.

Off subject, but it seems to me that, for the vast majority, those who reload take the task as a passion/obsession...that there's very few "casual reloaders", and for the most part, folks either do it a lot or they don't.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone. I'm certainly not rushing out to get any reloading equipment. I'd rather put the $4-500 toward a new gun. Also, from what I have seen for pricing on reloading supplies, I can't imagine being able to reload for less than $2.38/box (less than $0.10/shell). Maybe I'll consider it in the future. As I said in my first post, for me, it would be primarily the idea of doing it myself, much like fletching my own arrows (by the way, I'm attempting to make my own bow as well, but I'll probably only take it out for some occasional backyard shooting).

Thanks again.

Don

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
grousetrapper said:
(by the way, I'm attempting to make my own bow as well, but I'll probably only take it out for some occasional backyard shooting)
Since you're in Oklahoma, try to find a good limb of Osage Orange, commonly known as the "Horseapple," "Hedge Apple" or "Bow d' Ark (wood of the Ark) tree.

That was the wood of choice of many Indian tribes for their bows.

And those old Indians knew more than just a little about making bows, as many a cavalryman found out much to his dismay.

You'll find more information on the tree here:

http://weather.nmsu.edu/AbqPlantList/la ... Orange.htm

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
NOT the Load-All, it is junk. I still have 2 Lee hand loaders though. Loaded many'a shell with that 12 ga one in my youth!.. Doesn't even compare in quality or usefullness!

BP

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jeeeeeeeez........I have to weigh in with Mr. Krupinski. A Loadall will do a decent job, with the caveat that you arent going to want it, or any other single stage press if your requirement is for more than a few boxes of shells a week.
Have you seen the "Traditional Boyers Bible"? Excellent set of reference books for pursuing your other ambition, written well enough that my first attempt at a traditional longbow not only looks good but shoots well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.