Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I was given a Lefever 410 side by side, which has a sheared off firing pin.

Not sure of the year.

I'm looking for a diagram of how to disassemble the action.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
There' s a small schematic in Walt Snyder's Ithaca Book. As for for dis-assembly, that's pretty straight forward.. To re-assemble a Nitro is another matter. To install the hammer springs, you will have to devise some sort of clamp.. Unless you have a decent shop and are fairly competent with double barrel inernals, you would best see a Smith..Bushrod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys!

I got the firing pin out with too much fuss thanks to the link gr8day posted.

Next question: Are there firing pins available from any after market people, or do I need to find a machinist to turn one for me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to post an update. The new firing pin arrived this afternoon. Installation took about an hour.

I made a clamp similar to gr8day's. It worked like a charm.
I now have a fully functioning .410.

Would sending the barrels and body out for nickel plating help or hinder the value of this gun?

I want to protect it from salty climate. It will probably be my boat gun due to it's short length.
I plan to go sailing south of the border / caribean.

Thanks again!!!
Steve D.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
A Lefever Nitro Special in the 210xxx range would be a 1925 gun by the table in Walter Snyder's book. However, the Nitro Special in .410-bore was said to be introduced in 1926 according to the text in the book.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You don't mention the condition or the barrel length, You say " due to it's short length" Has it been cut off? If the gun is original and in excellent condiion, then the nickel plating will lower the value by at least $1,000.. Or It may already be a $200 Clunker..Bushrod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The barrel is 26", original and in fair condition. The LOA is about 46.5" There is some minor pitting and rust. I was told it is a youth gun.

Was there such a critter by Lefever?

The previous owner took some steel wool to the barrel and rubbed off most of the rust and bluing in one spot.

I talked to a local gunsmith who suggested that I just re-blue it since that had already spoiled the original value.

I have done that using a three part kit, and it looks pretty good. I tried to make the bluing look as close to the original as my skill level would allow.
I re-blued only the barrels, and left the body (receiver?) original.

Have I ruined it's value?

P.S. It shoots like a champ.

Steve

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The most common barrel length on Nitro .410s was 26 and 28 inches.. They never catalogued a youth model.. It sounds like it was past collector status before you got it. the blue job didn't change it much..Bushrod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts