Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a Lefever SxS "Nitro" and would like to have it reblued and the case refinished. Can this be done reliably via a mail order situation?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
629 Posts
A LeFevever Nitro Special is a wonderful field gun, made by Ithaca until WWII. About 235,000 made. It is not a valuable gun: no collectors interest, but it's a good old gun for a hunter. When you have it blued, make sure it is rust blued. Hot bluing salts will disolve the solder holding the ribs to the barrels. Color case, use Turnbull. In fact he can do the whole thing. Question is, is it worth $500.00 to restore a $400.00 gun? I'd leave the action gray and blue the barrels.

Congratulations on a good gun, though. I've had one in 16ga since I was 14 (43yrs ago) and it's still a shooter.

'Lonzo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Lonzo. How does "rust-bluing" differ from hot salts, and what's Turnbull please!!! Thanks for your time.
Dave

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sophijo- Rust bluing is a process by which barrels are blued without immersion into caustic chemicals which can attack the solder holding the ribs onto the barrels. It is a process of rusting, rust removal (carding) and boiling until the desired finish is achieved. Figure $200.00, which sounds like a lot but is less than relaying ribs and THEN bluing. Call around the local 'smiths. Someone may be able to do it.

For the ultimate, send it off to Doug Turnbull Restorations in Bloomfield, N.Y. ([[email protected]][email protected][/email]). He's the best in the business and not cheap but maybe you can work something out.

Mean time, enjoy the Nitro Special. It's a goodun'

'Lonzo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts